Is an einfachen Arbeitszeugnis considered negative?

8 posts in this topic

I'm considering leaving a position after having difficulty as the result of an illness. As I look for new work, if I were to request ONLY an einfachen Arbeitszeugnis - would this be seen negatively by an employer, if my other Arbeitszeugnis' were good to excellent?

Why would you do that? If you show an einfaches any future employer might assume you have something to hide.

1 minute ago, msam said:

Why would you do that? If you show an einfaches any future employer might assume you have something to hide.

That's my concern :) I'm considering it because, since my diagnosis with a chronic illness, my relationship with my boss at work has deteriorated. While I could demonstrate my work is still excellent, I'm resigning specifically because of my treatment from my boss. I'm concerned he will use a lot of "code words" in the arbeitzeugnis, and I'm debating which would be more problematic for my life - taking him to labor court over a negative arbeitzeugniss or just getting an einfach arbetizeugnis. 

You should never resign if you haven’t got a new job to go to. If you are so ill and your boss is not treating you correctly, get a sick note from your doctor and stay at home. During this time you can go to the job centre and explain your situation and ask for advice.They will be able to explain to you what will happen if you resign. As long as you are in employment, your salary will continue to be paid or you will get Krankengled from your health insurance company.

Employees only get an einfaches Zeugnis if they have been working for a company for up to six months. After this period of time they are entitled to a real reference stating duration of employment, tasks and resposibilities etc. If you show a future employer an einfaches Zeugnis when you worked for a company longer than six months, this will set all the alarm bells ringing  You probably won’t even be asked to an interview, you will just get letters of rejection.        

1 hour ago, White Rose of Yorkshire said:

You should never resign if you haven’t got a new job to go to. ...

If you show a future employer an einfaches Zeugnis when you worked for a company longer than six months, this will set all the alarm bells ringing  You probably won’t even be asked to an interview, you will just get letters of rejection.        

OK. Thats good to know :D 

Which brings a different question. I do have another job lined up (well, at least awaiting the final offer - knock on wood). 

So, if I work for this new job for a couple of years, and walk away with a solid Arbeitzeignis, how damaging to my next and next-next job would this (potentially) bad one be?

You mentioned an illness, do you have a disability pass? If you do then it will be difficult for your company to fire you.

If and when you hand in your resignation, you can request that certain important topics/projects be mentioned in your reference. This is a request but if your boss wants you to leave, your request may be granted. If the reference is a bad one or does not show a true picture of your tasks and responsibilities then you may have to take the issue to court. Often just threatening to do this may make him think again as this will no longer be an issue between you and him, the company and probably his boss will be involved or notified.   

As you will have to show all your references when you apply for a new job all your working life, all references are important. What is also important here in Germany is the length of time spent at a company. Germans tend to stay several years at a company. It doesn’t always make a good impression if you change jobs every year or so. Nevertheless, there are sometimes good reasons for leaving  a company, reduced travelling time, better position or a higher salary. 

8 hours ago, White Rose of Yorkshire said:

You mentioned an illness, do you have a disability pass? If you do then it will be difficult for your company to fire you.

If and when you hand in your resignation, you can request that certain important topics/projects be mentioned in your reference. This is a request but if your boss wants you to leave, your request may be granted. If the reference is a bad one or does not show a true picture of your tasks and responsibilities then you may have to take the issue to court. Often just threatening to do this may make him think again as this will no longer be an issue between you and him, the company and probably his boss will be involved or notified.   

As you will have to show all your references when you apply for a new job all your working life, all references are important. What is also important here in Germany is the length of time spent at a company. Germans tend to stay several years at a company. It doesn’t always make a good impression if you change jobs every year or so. Nevertheless, there are sometimes good reasons for leaving  a company, reduced travelling time, better position or a higher salary. 

Thank you again. These are all good things to know. I do have a disability pass for 70% - which I received after my illness. However, ever since my diagnosis, my work relationship with my boss has become personally untenable. The added stress of this is affecting me badly. That and the hour+ commute each way are why I'm choosing to leave (the new job is a full time work-from home with slightly better pay oddly enough :D I feel quite lucky to have found it).   

None of that is probably pertinent to your advice, but I really do appreciate it. I'm from the US, and we really dont have a system like the Arbeitzeugnis. Letters of reference are entirely voluntary, and generally not expected by other employers. Like frosting on a cake. Nice, but not substantial. It's comforting to understand the system better as I make this move, so I very much appreciate your time.