Are you already paying using your phone?

62 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, lewton said:

You have to sign??? :blink:

Yeah, many shops still use signature payment if you insert your card. Usually no signature when you use NFC payment (whether it's with the plastic card, Apple watch or smartphone. I mean, there's no signature on your phone they could compare it to anyways).

Thanks to this thread I went on Friday and configured Google Pay via PayPal on my phone and successfully made two transactions via Google Pay, one in Kaufland for ~125 EUR and one in Netto for ~12 EUR.   So I am not sure what is that limit @MikeMelga is talking about that make it unusable in supermarkets and gas stations.  I did pump gas during the weekend but the gas station did not support contact-less payments.  And I tried as well in a Turkish market but it failed with a very strange error, after trying twice and the cashier being confused about a phone payment she asked me which card I was using because they took only EC, that was probably the problem because PayPal via Google Pay requires that they take MasterCard.

I had issues configuring PayPal as a payment in Google Pay because I never found the PayPal option in Google Pay.  Later on I realized I had to configure it in the PayPal app itself and not in Google Pay.   After doing that the PayPal shows up as a payment in Google Pay.

The whole thing is pretty neat, you only have to unlock the phone and put it close to the payment terminal, no need to open any app.   Then your phone shakes and you get the Google Pay screen asking you to confirm.  Super fast and easy.  

And I think this could be a way to escape from EC commissions when using your EC outside of Germany and credit card commissions when using it outside of the EU, I have to monitor how good of bad are PayPal exchange rates though.

9 hours ago, sneaker said:

What limit are you talking about? Isn't it the same as the connected card account would allow?

There is no spoon (limit).

9 hours ago, sneaker said:

10 minutes ago, Krieg said:

So I am not sure what is that limit @MikeMelga is talking about that make it unusable in supermarkets and gas stations. 

He is not very well informed. :)

57 minutes ago, Krieg said:

And I think this could be a way to escape from EC commissions when using your EC outside of Germany and credit card commissions when using it outside of the EU, I have to monitor how good of bad are PayPal exchange rates though.

Better than any traditional bank’s EC card for sure.

Might be worse than N26’s or Revolut’s exchange rates.

10 hours ago, sneaker said:

What limit are you talking about? Isn't it the same as the connected card account would allow?

AFAIK, contactless cards have a very low limit per transaction. In Portugal it is 20 or 25€.

EDIT: it seems >20€ are possible, but you are requested a pin.

Also after 100€ of payment (multiple transactions) you are again requested a pin.

22 minutes ago, MikeMelga said:

AFAIK, contactless cards have a very low limit per transaction. In Portugal it is 20 or 25€.

LOL.  Here we have another typical @MikeMelga-ism.  He, the one who never used these kind of payments in Germany is here teaching us the ones who did use them.   All with his vast Google knowledge and "it is like that in Portugal".   No, there is no 20 EUR limit.  

Edit after someone's ninja edit: And so far I did not enter any PIN.

9 hours ago, Krieg said:

LOL.  Here we have another typical @MikeMelga-ism.  He, the one who never used these kind of payments in Germany is here teaching us the ones who did use them.   All with his vast Google knowledge and "it is like that in Portugal".   No, there is no 20 EUR limit.  

If there is no limit here, then it is unsafe, don't use it. Someone can sneak up on your wallet and withdraw as much as they want. That is why there is a limit per transaction.

2 hours ago, MikeMelga said:

If there is no limit here, then it is unsafe, don't use it. Someone can sneak up on your wallet and withdraw as much as they want. That is why there is a limit per transaction.

Troll at large detected (not his first time judging from Krieg's post).

12 hours ago, MikeMelga said:

Google Pay is just a replacement for taking out your card from your wallet.  You still end up using your card, just not physically.   So it is the same thing, the limit will be on your payment, i.e. your credit card or debit card.

And then with Google Pay itself you can configure a PIN number and fingerprint if you want, so this adds another layer of security if your phone is stolen, and they manage somehow to unlock your phone.

13 hours ago, lewton said:

Troll at large detected (not his first time judging from Krieg's post).

On 15.10.2018, 10:26:27, Krieg said:

Edit after someone's ninja edit: And so far I did not enter any PIN.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contactless_payment#Floor_limit

25€ in Germany.

One example of fraud, which has limited problem as there is a floor limit:

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2018/02/visa-mastercard-and-american-express-act-to-tackle-contactless-card-security-flaw/

Now who is the troll? Who is insulting without reason?

59 minutes ago, MikeMelga said:

Now who is the troll? Who is insulting without reason, fucknuts?

I added the appropriate TT appellation for you, mate. 

1 hour ago, MikeMelga said:

Again you and your Google knowledge.  Actually I have googled myself a lot about this and the information you normally found is pretty much useless.   Most Google Pay information you find online is when it was introduced in Germany back in June and done by reporters that most probably didn't understand what they were talking about.  Even the reports from different media outlets contradict themselves.

I've been trying to clarify this PIN issue and it is still not clear to me, not even by checking directly with Google.   Sometimes it seems like with PIN they are not talking about the PIN from your card, but a PIN in Google Pay itself, sometimes it seems like they are talking about just unlocking the phone, the latter is the only one I would consider really dangerous, payments with the phone unlocked, I tried this one this morning in a gas station for 23 EUR and it didn't pay anything with the phone locked, then I unlocked the phone and the payment went through without any input from my side, not even a confirmation.  So, so far, I have never entered any PIN with payments under 20 EUR, over 20 EUR and below 25 EUR and over 100 EUR.  Only the payment over 100 EUR asked me for confirmation and let me choose with payment to use, the other ones went out without confirmation and using the default payment.   Another detail is that I have my PayPal account configured to require fingerprint and I have always unlocked the phone with my fingerprint, but I still do not know if this has any relevance.  I don't even know if the Google Pay and PayPal apps are both involved in the payment of it is only Google Pay.

What does this have to do with Smartphone payments?  It is a problem with how the transactions are authorized, nothing to do with Google Pay or anything similar.  Of course if the bank decides to authorize transactions offline there is a chance that something could be exploited.

Now who is the troll? Who is insulting without reason?

Well, I am not the one trolling here, I am bringing actual facts coming from my own tests actually using the Smartphone payments, I am not bringing here any Google fu.

In the recent SPIEL Messe in Essen (the largest board games convention in the world and strongly recommended for a visit) somebody stole about 3 thousand euros in cash from a certain game publisher's store.

I like to think that it was from one that only accepted cash (karma got them).

I really hate carrying large amounts of cash, and at some point we ran out of cash because there were so many greats deals on games we wanted to buy, and some of stores did not have any kind of card reader (not even the typical EC-card-only, that would at least work for EU people - if we forget poor visitors from overseas who would have to calculate in advance how much they were going to need or withdraw too many euros and then get a big loss when converting them back to their currency).

It really is retarded not to accept at least Visa and MasterCard in such a huge international event, so I hope next time they will be more accommodating to people who want to pay by card.

An update to the thread.   I've continued using Google Pay basically almost everywhere without any issue, even at small shops, as long as they take credit cards it will work.   In many places the cashiers were surprised that I paid with the phone, some even told me they do not take phone payments and were later on shocked when it worked.

And I just saw in the DKB website that they will be integrating soon Google Pay.   So this is great news because I will be able to pay directly instead of the current way I am using via GooGle Pay + PayPal (+ virtual Master Card).

A store i go to from time-to-time offered this.

Not yet 7 years after I would routinely have to withdraw cash because restaurants accepting cards was a 50/50 proposition.

I may actually have to read up on this.

Apple Pay is finally available in Germany too, for the people who don't know how to choose a proper smartphone.
It supports 2 big banks that Google Pay doesn't (Deutsche and HVB), but it does not support Commerzbank that Google Pay does although they both support Commerzbank's affiliate Comdirect.
Anybody used it already?

Some good news too, since yesterday I've seen evidence that DKB and Consorsbank will be adding both Google Pay and Apple Pay support in 2019.

Just set up Apple pay on a new iPhone X and added CC no issue but you can't seem to add a bank card. Was hoping could avoid carry the wallet in.

On 30.5.2020, 13:56:11, Rushrush said:

Just set up Apple pay on a new iPhone X and added CC no issue but you can't seem to add a bank card. Was hoping could avoid carry the wallet in.

Commerzbank seems to have started offering Apple Pay in connection to the debit card. Link

It will bring them a huge competitive advantage, as many stores still don't accept a credit card, which was previously the only type of card, that you could use with Apple Pay.

Do you know, if there are other banks offering Apple Pay with connection to the debit card?