Are you already paying using your phone?

63 posts in this topic

I have only paid a couple of times using my phone for songs or apps.

I used google wallet and just charged it up occasionally with the google play vouchers you can buy.

I am not very tech savvy, so it is not really my way of paying. I prefer EC card myself. Cash is annoying, especially when you have tons of change.

I think we are all very privileged to live in a society where there are so many ways to pay. It is a luxury.

My best experience so far has been paypal. From being a buyer and a seller on ebay. I found it fantastic.

I've been using it since day one. It's a breeze to use. I like it. Unlock my phone with my fingerprint, and bam, good to go.

I have had my card cloned on 3 occasions over the years. Twice the banks noticed first informed me and one time I noticed first and informed them. Always got my money back promptly and a new card in the post straight away. No big deal.

Although I am a google fan boy, it is quite the step that google now knows about my purchases too though. I kinda wish the banks could have set up this function independently, without the need for google.

17 hours ago, fraufruit said:

@Metall

It appears that you are not allowed to voice an opinion on this thread.

No, looks like I'm not.

But hey, ignoring trolls on TT is easy, and bugs the heck out of them. :D

Let them shout and scream in a vacuum, that frustrates them the most.

On 8/6/2018, 8:28:13, Metall said:

No, looks like I'm not.

But hey, ignoring trolls on TT is easy, and bugs the heck out of them. :D

Let them shout and scream in a vacuum, that frustrates them the most.

Whatever you say princess.

From my point of view you are the troll, as you have been unable to write any single argument while sharing articles with sensational titles, designed to scare the old ladies away.

On 8/6/2018, 8:14:45, theGman said:

Although I am a google fan boy, it is quite the step that google now knows about my purchases too though. I kinda wish the banks could have set up this function independently, without the need for google.

Google actually allows other companies to use the NFC chip with their own e-wallet apps. 

It is Apple that has locked down the NFC chip so that you can only use it with Apple Pay.

I've just confirmed that Appel Pay works in Germany. I paid today for my groceries at a REWE in Frankfurt using an Apple Watch linked to a UK Halifax Clarity MasterCard. There were no hitches—it just worked.

As Apple Pay hasn't yet launched in Germany, no German bank is issuing cards that can be used with Apple Pay, but foreign cards seem to work.

On 10/10/2018, 12:47:41, Smaug said:

I've just confirmed that Appel Pay works in Germany. I paid today for my groceries at a REWE in Frankfurt using an Apple Watch linked to a UK Halifax Clarity MasterCard. There were no hitches—it just worked.

As Apple Pay hasn't yet launched in Germany, no German bank is issuing cards that can be used with Apple Pay, but foreign cards seem to work.

The cashier must have looked at you like you were an alien.

I get strange looks just for using contactless 

This is an interesting report on the topic:

A small German company has a solution for higher value goods and it is now being trialled by Saturn.

11 hours ago, Adem137 said:

I get strange looks for using cards every time, never mind contactless! I always have to say “I am paying with a card” and they go “oh!!”, get the machine ready and look at me like a space ship landed in front of them and Michael Jackson got off it. Most people use cash here. 

I think the cashier didn’t die of a heart attack though when she saw me use my watch to pay for my groceries. 

On 10/10/2018, 12:47:41, Smaug said:

Apple Pay works everywhere where contactless payments are accepted.

Congratulations on realising it after so many months in Germany.

7 hours ago, Smaug said:

I get strange looks for using cards every time, never mind contactless! I always have to say “I am paying with a card” and they go “oh!!”, get the machine ready and look at me like a space ship landed in front of them and Michael Jackson got off it. Most people use cash here. 

I think the cashier didn’t die of a heart attack though when she saw me use my watch to pay for my groceries. 

All this in Frankfurt?

In Hamburg I have to say I want to pay by card, then they press a button, and then they don't care anymore what I do until the payment has been accepted. Insert card in the card reader, contactless card payment, or payment with the phone, it's all the same to them and rightfully so.

Either cashiers in Frankfurt are slow peasants, or you want to imagine that you are special.

2 hours ago, lewton said:

All this in Frankfurt?

It's often observed that one of the obvious ironies of tech is that those at the vanguard of developing it (and promoting its use to others) tend not to use it themselves.    There is an inverse relationship between production and consumption.   The cliche of the tech developer who won't let their kids use devices and sends them to schools who don't.

I often get this impression in fintech / cybertech / IT hub Rhein-Main.  Busy developing goodness knows what and making heaps of money selling it to the rest of the world.  Do we touch the stuff ourselves often?  Of course not, often.    Get the airport bus to Germany's first official Digital City and don't even think of paying for your ticket with a card, never mind a device. 

But t'was ever thus with business.  Big industries like beautycare are stuffed with employees who'd never use its products.

I mentioned to 2 German acquaintances that they might be able to pay with their phone with the money taken directly from their girokonto via PayPal and they said that they would use that.

Of course this is theoretical talk and not what they will do at the end.

But I find it interesting how they are less afraid about the using-the-phone part than about the having-a-compatible-debit-or-credit card part.

If it means the end of cash payments, great. But Germans are still adverse to normal card payments... this will take some years.

In my case, I don't see an immediate need, I make maybe 5-7 payments per week, most of them of higher value than the phone would allow (supermarket, gas station,...).

I am a bit pissed with the need to sign a card payment, so that could be a reason to move to phone payment.

On 10/11/2018, 1:50:49, Adem137 said:

They see their jobs being reduced more and more to automation... till they evaporate. Any technology is their enemy.

Last week I rented a van from Herz, from a terminal. No human contact at all, even without an account!

1 hour ago, MikeMelga said:

If it means the end of cash payments, great. But Germans are still adverse to normal card payments... this will take some years.

In my case, I don't see an immediate need, I make maybe 5-7 payments per week, most of them of higher value than the phone would allow (supermarket, gas station,...).

I am a bit pissed with the need to sign a card payment, so that could be a reason to move to phone payment.

You have to sign??? :blink:

5 hours ago, MikeMelga said:

I don't see an immediate need, I make maybe 5-7 payments per week, most of them of higher value than the phone would allow (supermarket, gas station,...).

What limit are you talking about? Isn't it the same as the connected card account would allow?

P.S.: I find signing annoying as well so I use contactless (with card, not phone) payment wherever possible. Never had to sign, only PIN when I pay more than 25 or 50 Euro depending on the card.