Fine for wrong ticket

23 posts in this topic

I moved to a new place for an internship and was told by a colleague that i just need to get the student ticket from the machine and show my student card and it will be enough. but i realised after getting checked that i was having a wrong ticket and that i was supposed to apply for a special customer ticket if i am a student on internship. although the price is the same and i explained to the inspector that i honestly did not know this procedure and was told by my colleague that it was sufficient to have this ticket, I was still fined 60 euros. now since i am in the state temporarily, i gave the guy my temporary address but it is not registered so there is no way any notice or bill will reach me. however he issued me a fine receipt with my full name and date of birth. so my question now is, will it be possible for me to ignore this fine? will there be any record where they can track me down to penalise further or block me at the airport? as honestly i did the right thing to buy the monthly ticket but it was just the wrong type and the fare is the same anyways. i don't think the office will accept my reason for sincerely not knowing about applying for the special pass and i would still need to pay the fine so i am just wondering if i can skip this because i paid the correct price just for the wrong ticket type :( . thanks.

no i didn't. i just responded to it but did not ask what i should do in my case. 

17 minutes ago, msnys said:

now since i am in the state temporarily, i gave the guy my temporary address but it is not registered so there is no way any notice or bill will reach me. however he issued me a fine receipt with my full name and date of birth. so my question now is, will it be possible for me to ignore this fine?

You can technically ignore it – but that doesn't make the problem go away. I guess you'll be back sometimes and then they can track you down. They have your name and birthdate. Expect additional costs for that. 

will there be any record where they can track me down to penalise further or block me at the airport?

They will not block you at the airport. 

as honestly i did the right thing to buy the monthly ticket but it was just the wrong type and the fare is the same anyways. i don't think the office will accept my reason for sincerely not knowing

No, you were fined already. 

21 minutes ago, msnys said:

no i didn't. i just responded to it but did not ask what i should do in my case. 

In that case, sorry.

Still don't know why you started the new thread.

the other thread that i responded to was not the same case that i am in now, that is why i started this thread. well i guess to make it short, all i need to know is if there is a possibility to be tracked down if the address given is not registered under my name since i am living here temporarily. 

24 minutes ago, someonesdaughter said:

You can technically ignore it – but that doesn't make the problem go away. I guess you'll be back sometimes and then they can track you down. They have your name and birthdate. Expect additional costs for that. 

They will not block you at the airport. 

No, you were fined already. 

Thanks for your advice. technically they got some part of my last name into my first name as well so i wonder if i can argue later that they got my name incorrect :D

2 minutes ago, msnys said:

Thanks for your advice. technically they got some part of my last name into my first name as well so i wonder if i can argue later that they got my name incorrect :D

Why don't you simply pay the fine?

You need to have a valid ticket to use public transport, you were caught with a wrong and therefore invalid ticket and got fined. Now pay it and move on. 

31 minutes ago, msnys said:

however he issued me a fine receipt with my full name and date of birth.

If he issued you a receipt for the fine because you paid the fine on the spot then there is no reason why they would bother writing to you.

If on the other hand you are using the word receipt erroneously and meant to say he issued you with a penalty due payment notice then you should get in touch with their offices (in Darmstadt? HEAG) and make sure you pay it now to avoid the risk of it growing to a substantially higher amount.

As long as you are registered in Germany or have any remaining connection to a German institute of higher education there's always a possibility of them being able to track you down.

The costs of any effort they need to make to find you may be added to your eventual bill.

If you just pay what you owe you'll be able to sleep without worrying about it.

Its a waste of your time to be wondering what loopholes you might possibly wiggle through.

There are multiple versions of them in Germany and they all generally get up earlier every day to follow their dedicated plans than any of their individual clientele do.

2B

5 minutes ago, someonesdaughter said:

You need to have a valid ticket to use public transport, you were caught with a wrong and therefore invalid ticket and got fined. Now pay it and move on. 

4 minutes ago, someonesdaughter said:

well as a student, 60 euros is a big amount and i did not do this crime intentionally. i still bought the ticket and out of ignorance (and trusting on someone else's advice)  it was the wrong type but the price is still the same as having the special pass. so why should a person be penalised even when they have paid the same correct amount but just the wrong kind? 

Just now, msnys said:

well as a student, 60 euros is a big amount and i did not do this crime intentionally. i still bought the ticket and out of ignorance (and trusting on someone else's advice)  it was the wrong type 

Yes, the wrong type. End of story. 

Just now, msnys said:

well as a student, 60 euros is a big amount and i did not do this crime intentionally. i still bought the ticket and out of ignorance (and trusting on someone else's advice)  it was the wrong type but the price is still the same as having the special pass. so why should a person be penalised even when they have paid the same correct amount but just the wrong kind

Because you didn't have a valid ticket.

Just now, msnys said:

okay i get it, the world is unfair!

Everybody needs a valid ticket, more fairness is impossible.

A fine is exactly so one does not have to prove intent.  We don't have to have a "guilty mind".   It's for merely doing something.   I am quite often not with a valid ticket in Berlin I have to say, mainly because I forget to validate a single ticket (genuinely, it is not "forget") or the machine (singular) at my local station is not working :ph34r:.   I'd just have to take the hit.  We all make mistakes.

Student validity can be a minefield at the best of times but particularly in a federal republic where - yes - great there is such wide validity but it is often very very very local.   

Yes, 60 Euro is a lot of money.  One reason there are notices reminding passengers of that sum all over public transport here.   All anyone can do is err on the side of caution really.  Pay the full fare, if not sure.  Double check what co-workers say at a ticket office (and definitely do not expect "but someone told me" to get you off the hook).   

Have a go at the coworker who so blithely doled out duff advice, possibly?

7 hours ago, msnys said:

well as a student, 60 euros is a big amount and i did not do this crime intentionally. i still bought the ticket and out of ignorance (and trusting on someone else's advice)  it was the wrong type but the price is still the same as having the special pass. so why should a person be penalised even when they have paid the same correct amount but just the wrong kind? 

Part of being a grown-up includes taking responsibility for your mistakes.

You did not inform yourself as to which ticket you needed, but rather, took incorrect advice.

Yes, €60 is a lot of money, but the fine is yours to pay, so just get on with it and put it down to experience.

If I was you I´d try to explain your case to their offices and ask ask them to waive or at least reduce the fine. If that doesn´t lead to success I´d rather pay to avoid unpleasant surprises like being contacted by a debt collection agency and being hit with additional fees which might be even higher than the fine itself.

8 hours ago, msnys said:

Ignorantia juris non excusat

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ignorantia_juris_non_excusat

"Ignorance of law excuses no one" I'm afraid is a valid principal of law.

You will just have to mark this one down to life experience, pay the fine, and move on.  

Or you could just ignore it, and then later if they catch you end up paying 100's or 1000's euros more, or simply go to prison!  In most states in Germany refusing to pay a fine for public transport is still a criminal offence and there are people sitting in prison for not paying (although there is increasing pressure to change this).  Here is a story in Hessen about this;

http://www.fr.de/rhein-main/schwarzfahren-ohne-ticket-in-den-knast-a-1423926

The 60€ is not a fine. It's a higher price ticket. Technically they can also take you to court. I hear it's unlikely for a first-time offender.

If the ticket you bought is a monthly ticket, you should go to the kunden centre to at least try to have the ticket changed to the correct one - at least you won't have to buy the ticket again.

Again, if it's a monthly ticket, you can also try to give them your version of events - if you are very lucky you could be let off with an €8 administration fee (unlikely in Berlin where they see and hear a lot of excuses but you don't lose much by trying).

If it's a one time ticket forget the last 2 paragraphs.

13 hours ago, someonesdaughter said:

That depends on what the OP means by temporarily. The deadline for paying (or contesting) is usually 2 weeks - after that it goes to Inkasso

If I were you, I would go to the kunden centre and explain the situation there.  They are normally much more forgiving than the controllers.  They can maybe even switch your existing monthly ticket to the right kind, saving you a bunch more money ...