day labor in Erlangen/Nuremberg - moving help

5 posts in this topic

I'm moving from an apartment in Nuremberg to Erlangen on Sunday. A friend was supposed to come and help me, but now she can't make it. I'm looking to hire someone to help me for a couple of hours (or a good Samaritan). Everything will fit into a largish taxi, it's only suitcases, book boxes, a few small household items, not enough to hire a van and movers. Does anyone know how to hire someone like this in Germany? Will they work on Sunday? What is a fair wage? Thanks for the advice. 

2 hours ago, sarahlink said:

Does anyone know how to hire someone like this in Germany?

You could try looking here-->

Studenten-Vermittlung.com ® | Agency for Student Jobs Nationwide incl. baby sitting, cleaning, driving, exhibitions event jobs, gastro jobs, moving jobs, office jobs, pet sitting, translation, tutoring, etc.

Will they work on Sunday?

Some might be willing to - others might not. I wouldn't expect anyone to even consider doing so unless you were to offer them 1.5 to 2 x the hourly rate for their time though.

What is a fair wage?

Although the minimum wage is currently around 8,85 € per hour I think you should be prepared to pay more for such non-recurring spontaneous work. I would suggest 12,50 - 15,00 € at least, and you should definitely be prepared and willing to pay their bus or other public transport fares to and from your location on top of the hourly amount.

Bear in mind that you will benefit more from them to be feeling positive rather than resentful toward you. Whether they are actually schlepping your heaviest gear upstairs or waiting in the hot sun guarding it whilst you are out of sight you do not want them dropping, throwing or being tempted to be rifling through, your stuff.

Good luck with your move.

2B

ETA: Oh, and if you do book them through that agency link, or any other similar app, you will have to pay some form of booking fee too.

You could also try posting a free ad in www.kleinanzeige-ebay.de but you should learn how to navigate the site (in German) first, otherwise your ad may go entirely unnoticed by any prospective willing helpers.

In Africa you always have people standing around in the street and you can hire them for small jobs :). Can't you ask a colleague to help you out? 

Ebay Kleinanzeigen is also a good option.

I have used blauarbeit in the past to do some electric fixture work at my place. I posted the work description and received some offers around 50 to 70 euros and I selected the lowest bidder. Guy showed up with his tools, did the work, and I paid in cash. 

https://www.blauarbeit.de/