Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Transport in neunburg vorm wald

8 posts in this topic

Hi, greetings everyone

I am new in TT, this is my first post. Soon I will be moving to neunburg vorm wald, I found a job there, however, I haven't found accommodation there but in stamsried. I really don't speak German, only English, I have been looking into public transport schedules using google translator, I would have to be in neunburg each day (weekdays) before 8 am, there is a bud route that suits me but it doesn't work in August, the remaining options would make me arrived past 9 am. So as my first question here in TT, is there a way to commute from stamsried (or nearby cities such as Rötz, Roding, etc.) to neunburg by bus every day? maybe not all bus schedules are published on the internet and I am over worrying? would it be possible to use a bike or is this against the law (using a bike on a road)?

Thank you so much for your answers. 

it's legal to bike on most roads (obviously not on multi-lane roads, though)

you can plot major routes using google maps if you pick the "bike" mode of transport, and using the satellite view you can also spot some smaller roads/trails that could offer some really lovely rides.

can you ask your boss or a coworker for local advice?

Hi Lisa13,

Thank you for your answer. the first two weeks I will be lodged in a hotel in neunburg to have a "smooth" start, I am saving some questions for that moment (just basic aspects of living, for example, how to do the laundry, I have found through the forum in TT that plenty of people use hotel services at first, as there are no laundromats  or at least where I will live), although I know that most of them commute to work in their own cars. 

If I choose to buy a bike, what kind would be the best option? would I need a helmet or other accessories (to comply with traffic laws)?

August is school holiday time so that is perhaps  why the bus may not run in August. That may also indicate the  schedule suits  school  hours  rather than business hours.

If you use the search function (top right of screen) there is lots of good info about bike riding in Germany. Here is a general set of tips:

http://bicyclegermany.com/german_bicycle_laws.html

You  would keep in shape riding a bike as its is hilly. Not sure how it would difficult it might be in the winter though!

Good luck!

etd

11 hours ago, FabianNavarro said:

Hi Lisa13,

Thank you for your answer. the first two weeks I will be lodged in a hotel in neunburg to have a "smooth" start, I am saving some questions for that moment (just basic aspects of living, for example, how to do the laundry, I have found through the forum in TT that plenty of people use hotel services at first, as there are no laundromats  or at least where I will live), although I know that most of them commute to work in their own cars. 

If I choose to buy a bike, what kind would be the best option? would I need a helmet or other accessories (to comply with traffic laws)?

does your apartment have a washing machine included?  Or at least a connection for one? 

I can't advise you on what kind of bike to get - this really depends on your feelings about comfort vs. performance, surfaces you'll be riding on, and more.  The most important thing is that the bike FITS you.  You can find a lot of information online about bike ergonomics and especially if you want to ride this distance daily, you should take heed.  I normally ride a max of 10 km around Munich in any stretch, and I was feeling a wreck after a couple of weeks on an ill fitting bike (it wasn't even grossly ill-fitting.  small tweaks were all it took but damn it was important)  

If you only need to cover the (2 weeks?)  when the bus isn't running, why not just rent a car during that time?  Honestly, in a rural area like that I'd guess you'll be happier with a car in the long term, as it will give you more freedom to explore and deal with life.

Check easytodraw's link for general bike law info.  You don't need a helmet, but you might want one.

On 21/7/2018 3:00:08, easytodraw said:

August is school holiday time so that is perhaps  why the bus may not run in August. That may also indicate the  schedule suits  school  hours  rather than business hours.

If you use the search function (top right of screen) there is lots of good info about bike riding in Germany. Here is a general set of tips:

http://bicyclegermany.com/german_bicycle_laws.html

You  would keep in shape riding a bike as its is hilly. Not sure how it would difficult it might be in the winter though!

Good luck!

etd

Thank you for your answer and sorry for the delay.

As you said the reason the bus will not run in August is because of school holidays. By the way, thank you for the link, it was very informative, I am still assessing my options, although a bike would be a feasible option I didn't take into account that the distance would be 17 Km one way (making it 34 kilometers per day), I am not sure I can handle that, I also didn't about winter :blink:.

On 21/7/2018 6:02:26, lisa13 said:

does your apartment have a washing machine included?  Or at least a connection for one? 

I can't advise you on what kind of bike to get - this really depends on your feelings about comfort vs. performance, surfaces you'll be riding on, and more.  The most important thing is that the bike FITS you.  You can find a lot of information online about bike ergonomics and especially if you want to ride this distance daily, you should take heed.  I normally ride a max of 10 km around Munich in any stretch, and I was feeling a wreck after a couple of weeks on an ill fitting bike (it wasn't even grossly ill-fitting.  small tweaks were all it took but damn it was important)  

If you only need to cover the (2 weeks?)  when the bus isn't running, why not just rent a car during that time?  Honestly, in a rural area like that I'd guess you'll be happier with a car in the long term, as it will give you more freedom to explore and deal with life.

Check easytodraw's link for general bike law info.  You don't need a helmet, but you might want one.

Hi Lisa13, thank you for your message

I haven't decided yet for the apartment, I have five locations at sight and I am planning to visit them all before deciding, there is one which has washing machines in the basement, in that regard it would perfect as I would not have to buy one, but it is also the furthest from Neunburg.

Your advice on the bike's ergonomics is really useful, now I know what to look for (I would be riding it for 34 kilometers each day, according to google maps it would be one hour from home to work, and one hour returning).

I haven't thought about renting a car, I think is a brilliant idea, as you said it would be only two weeks, I will start looking into prices.

I will let you know what I did when the time comes, so it will become a reference should any person need this information.

Hi,

To close this thread, I have been living in Neunburg for nearly 2 months now, there is no much public transport so the solution to the transport topic is either live in Neunburg or get a car (a bicycle would work, but beware the terrain isn't flat).

Regarding the apartment, there are several holidays apartments with all included (washing machine, kitchen).

Hope this help someone.

Regards.