Parking, halting or stopping on zig-zag lines

20 posts in this topic

According to the following link, a driver is not allowed to park, hold or stop on the zig zag lines.

http://www.sicherestrassen.de/VKZKatalog/Frameaufbau.htm?http://www.sicherestrassen.de/VKZKatalog/Kat299.htm

In the following video at 10:19, the Fahrschulelehrer parks his vehice on the zig zag lines and says nothing about its being prohibited or not. I take from the way he speaks, it is OK to park on the zig-zag lines. I am confused now.

Is it prohibited or not? :)

Zig Zag lines mean you can not park there.  Looking at the video, the driving instructor is not parking on the Zig Zag lines, he is showing how to parallel park and then pulls away again.  Besides, if he actually wanted to park there, it looks like he would have enough space to park if he pulled a bit closer to the dark car.  

"Parken" means to stay for more than 3 minutes or to leave the car. So as LeonG pointed out this is not the case here. The zig-zag lines alone do nothing, only for showing how far an otherwise shown ban extends. In this case there is a ban because there is a driveway with a lowered curbstone. You are not allowed to park before such driveways but you are allowed to "halten" (i.e. max 3 minutes and must stay inside the car).

14 hours ago, LeonG said:

Zig Zag lines mean you can not park there.  Looking at the video, the driving instructor is not parking on the Zig Zag lines, he is showing how to parallel park and then pulls away again.  Besides, if he actually wanted to park there, it looks like he would have enough space to park if he pulled a bit closer to the dark car.  

12 hours ago, sneaker said:

"Parken" means to stay for more than 3 minutes or to leave the car. So as LeonG pointed out this is not the case here. The zig-zag lines alone do nothing, only for showing how far an otherwise shown ban extends. In this case there is a ban because there is a driveway with a lowered curbstone. You are not allowed to park before such driveways but you are allowed to "halten" (i.e. max 3 minutes and must stay inside the car).

Wer ein Fahrzeug führt, darf innerhalb einer Grenzmarkierung für Halt- oder Parkverbote nicht halten oder parken.

No stopping or parking (depending on what the actual ban is for)

The full quote:

Ge- oder Verbot
Wer ein Fahrzeug führt, darf innerhalb einer Grenzmarkierung für
Halt- oder Parkverbote nicht halten oder parken. Erläuterung 
Grenzmarkierungen bezeichnen, verlängern oder verkürzen ein an anderer Stelle vorgeschriebenes Halt- oder Parkverbot.

Andthe bottom of the page:

Diese Markierung begründet kein selbständiges Halt- oder Parkverbot, sondern setzt das Bestehen eines solchen voraus und begrenzt lediglich den Verbotsbereich

13 hours ago, sneaker said:

"Parken" means to stay for more than 3 minutes

Who does the timing?

The germans love to come up with these odd, unenforceable RULES.

The Politesse does the timing. Why do you think this is unenforceable?

2 minutes ago, catjones said:

Who does the timing?

The germans love to come up with these odd, unenforceable RULES.

The local Verkehrsüberwachung (Ordnungsamt, Stadtpolizei etc.) does the timing. The time will appear on your 'ticket'. It's enforced thousand times a day. 

23 hours ago, sneaker said:

The Politesse does the timing. Why do you think this is unenforceable?

Please....so there's a cop standing at every zigzag with a stopwatch just waiting for that one hapless soul to stay 3 minutes and 47 seconds?

23 hours ago, someonesdaughter said:

It's enforced thousand times a day. 

Man, I'd really like to see the source for that fact.

Yes it is enforced.

The 3 minute rule allows for people to park their cars, get out, buy a parking ticket and return to put it into the car.

This means a car isn't legally considered to be 'parked' until 3 minutes have passed, which in turn means that if a traffic warden or Policeman / woman sees a car 'parked' where it shouldn't be they allow the 3 minutes before issuing a ticket.

Of course it also means that many get away with this, but don't always bank on it. All it needs is a passing warden or Police car to spot you where you shouldn't be ....

Where I am currently working on a project, there is a lack of parking and people will park on zig zag lines, at no parking signs, on the sidewalk and pretty much everywhere else, especially when the late shift is coming and the morning shift + office people are still there.  After the morning shift leaves, the evening shifters run out and try to find better spots.  However, we have seen the parking wardens come out and write tickets around there.  We are talking about maybe half an hour or more between evening people coming, doing a shift handover and morning people leaving and then the evening shift can run out and re-park.  On most days they probably get away with it but if the parking warden decides to pay a visit, they are out some money.

3 hours ago, catjones said:

Please...so there's a cop standing at every zigzag with a stopwatch just waiting for that one hapless soul to stay 3 minutes and 47 seconds?

BS Who said anything about "every" zigzag line? It only needs one Politesse, one zigzag line and one peaking offender to enforce it.

Man, I'd really like to see the source for that fact.

Take a closer look at your next ticket, it's got the time on it. 

Zig zag lines means no stopping OR parking in the area. You usually see them at pedestrian crossings where sight lines need to be kept clear.

6 hours ago, catjones said:

Please...so there's a cop standing at every zigzag with a stopwatch just waiting for that one hapless soul to stay 3 minutes and 47 seconds?

6 hours ago, Malt-Teaser said:

The 3 minute rule allows for people to park their cars, get out, buy a parking ticket and return to put it into the car.

No, it doesn't. You "park" when you either halt for more than 3 minutes or when you leave the car. As soon as you leave the car it's "parking". So for empty cars (i.e. 99% of offenders) the Politesse doesn't have to wait.

It looks like he's practicing parallel parking between the zig zag lines and the blue car.  It's legal to stop adjacent to the zigzag lines, especially since these are just marking driveways to allow vehicles to exit.  

6 hours ago, sneaker said:

No, it doesn't. You "park" when you either halt for more than 3 minutes or when you leave the car. As soon as you leave the car it's "parking". So for empty cars (i.e. 99% of offenders) the Politesse doesn't have to wait.

No, my point is that traffic wardens won't immediately give a ticket to an empty car. They wait and look around for the driver for a short while to see if they've gone off to buy a ticket at a nearby machine before issuing the fine. Of course I'm talking about cars parked in legal places here.

Hi need some urgent help people.

i had parked my car yesterday unknowingly about half of the zig zag line . But an old lady taking her car out from the other side of the road scratched my new car(golf bought 1 month ago).

the lady informed the police and the police came to my home in the afternoon and were saying that i had parked wrongly and there was an accident and gave the other car registration number and nothing else. 

The husband of the lady was telling  me i am also at fault as i parked wrongly and should split up 50-50%.

However they were polite and we have shared our contacts.

1. Should i just go with the insurance claim(costs about 800€)

or settle it personally around 400€?

2. Police could have fined me but they didn't so i don't understand what was their role ?

i feel the lady wants to avoid the insurance claim as it will affect her SF class. 

thanks.