Applying for a "Schwerbehindertenausweis"

31 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, LeonG said:

When I was driving my mom's car I left it in the window but I never parked in handicapped spots unless I was with her.

Then you weren't actually "using" it.

Good for you.

47 minutes ago, LeonG said:

When I was driving my mom's car I left it in the window but I never parked in handicapped spots unless I was with her.

Ditto and anyway her photo was on it so I couldn't use it even if I wanted.

My observation in the U.S. is that the vast majority of handicapped people weighed 400 lbs. or more.

8 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

My observation in the U.S. is that the vast majority of handicapped people weighed 400 lbs. or more.

I've noticed that, and I've had the unkind thought about what came first, the handicap or the 400 pounds...

1 hour ago, fraufruit said:

Ditto and anyway her photo was on it so I couldn't use it even if I wanted.

My mom's had the photo on the back so it's not visible when you leave it in the window of the car, only if somebody asks to see it.  

Weighing 400 lbs. is a disability in itself.  I think very few people actually want to weigh 400 lbs.  They end up there because they can't control their eating.  So you can say that they should have tried harder and that they called it upon themselves but same goes for a lot of people who ended up having accidents because they were doing something they shouldn't have.  Plenty of people ended up in accidents after drinking and driving or some were driving too fast, I recently heard about one who was paralyzed to the neck after climbing a lamp post and falling down.  They sit in their wheelchairs and people feel sorry for them and nobody asks them how it happened or if it was their own fault.

Many disabilities are not apparent. COAD ( airway disease), some on cancer treatments, heart conditions. They do not seem to fit our picture of disability, but they may have limited walking.

Op- your doctor can advise if you may be eligible.

50 minutes ago, LeonG said:

I think very few people actually want to weigh 400 lbs. 

I agree and I don't judge. Obesity is a real epidemic/killer in the U.S. and elsewhere.

6 hours ago, El Jeffo said:

Your employer's wishes are purely material. Employers above a certain size have to pay a Schwerbehindertenabgabe if they don't have a certain number of people with an SB-Ausweis among their employees.

As such, your employer encouraging you to apply for this permit is certainly immoral, if not illegal.

If that were indeed the case I would completely agree with you. In my case it is not, since the Cerebral Palsy in both legs from birth are clear indicators of a physical disability. What I struggle with is this idea of 'schwer' because yes I have a harder go than the average bear when it comes to practical everyday stuff (stairs without railings, steep inclines and uneven pavements) but I am so much luckier than some of the kids I taught in the special education sector.  I am not ashamed to be 'disabled' but now it's not only about my sense of identity and wishes. 

On 7/21/2018, 8:28:14, NativeFraulein said:

If that were indeed the case I would completely agree with you. In my case it is not, since the Cerebral Palsy in both legs from birth are clear indicators of a physical disability. What I struggle with is this idea of 'schwer' because yes I have a harder go than the average bear when it comes to practical everyday stuff (stairs without railings, steep inclines and uneven pavements) but I am so much luckier than some of the kids I taught in the special education sector.  I am not ashamed to be 'disabled' but now it's not only about my sense of identity and wishes. 

It has a lot to do with the stigma Germans still put on having disabilities (hence using the word "schwer", segregation in education, most children being unaware of what disabled really means etc.) but I think it is great that you are comfortable with yours as it shows others that having a disability and needing support in some areas does not make you less of a person. 

Hello,

I think it would be nice to update this thread that I started long ago.

Pregnancy seems to have had no long term on my disability status. My daughter is almost three and after a year of maternity leave I went back to work part time. This year my admins began asking again if I would apply for SB-Ausweis again and so I finally did two months ago.

Corona has slowed everything down so I have an official application in the city database as well as the ability to check its status with a secure login. The letter I got has stated very clearly that the application could take three months or more and during this time my doctors would be contacted. In short like everything like now politics has slowed my application but eventually there will be an outcome and I will update this thread again.