Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Can German Type D Visa holders travel to other Schengen countries?

15 posts in this topic

Hi all,

My father initially came to Germany with a Tourism Schengen Visa Type C and then got an extension of 3 months Visa Type D. In the Visa, it is written as follows:

Valid for: DE

Number of entries: MULT

Remarks: Besuchsreise, Erwerbstätigkeit nicht gestattet.

 

The  official staff, who made the Visa, told me that my father CANNOT travel to Schengen countries with his Visa Type D. But according to the information here (https://www.auswaertiges-amt.de/en/einreiseundaufenthalt/visabestimmungen-node , scroll down to the part  of "D Visa regulation"), Visa D holders are allowed to travel to Schengen countries. When I showed the information from auswaertiges-amt to the the official staff, she told me "it is up to you to decide which information if correct". Therefore, I am very confused and don't really know where/who I should ask.

My specific question is that: Is my father, with Visa Type D as mentioned above, can travel to other Schengen countries for sightseeing?

Any advise is very appreciated!

Thank you!

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, bizzu said:

My father initially came to Germany with a Tourism Schengen Visa Type C and then got an extension of 3 months Visa Type D. In the Visa, it is written as follows:

Valid for: DE

 

 

2 minutes ago, bizzu said:

The  official staff, who made the Visa, told me that my father CANNOT travel to Schengen countries with his Visa Type D.

 

How did you father manage to get a D Visum after entering with a C Visum? Something does not add up.

 

 

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am working, we have children and my wife has just started her job training with night shift. Therefore my father stayed to help us with the children, e.g. taking/picking them to/from the kindergarten.

Could you shed some light on how he got type D visa make any difference?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, bizzu said:

I am working, we have children and my wife has just started her job training with night shift. Therefore my father stayed to help us with the children, e.g. taking/picking them to/from the kindergarten.

Could you shed some light on how he got type D visa make any difference?

 

According to your profile, you are from Belgium? But your father is a not an EU citizen?

 

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, engelchen said:

 

According to your profile, you are from Belgium? But your father is a not an EU citizen?

 

 

No, he is not EU citizen. Engelchen! Why I would have to ask if he is EU citizen?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bizzu said:

No, he is not EU citizen. Engelchen! Why I would have to ask if he is EU citizen?

 

You're being a dick, pal.

@engelchen probably knows more about this stuff than anyone else here and has willingly given their time to answer questions like this, many, many times.

Drop the attitude, show some gratitude - you are asking/taking, @engelchen is giving - act appropriately.

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am also surprised to learn that a D visa was given within Germany. But, in the past a D visa (albeit given by the Dutch) did not entitle me to go to other Schengen states. I needed to request a return-visa, and your dad might have to request the equivalent Fiktionsbescheinigung in Germany.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

D visum is a national visa inside of the Schengen territory, it can be valid for one country or for the whole Schengen.   In the visa, in the first entry it says "Valid For:", there is where it states where it is valid.   If it says "Schengen States" then it is valid for the whole Schengen, if it only says one or several countries then it is only valid in those countries.

 

So in your case I assume it is only valid in Germany.   And the reason is probably because you apply for it for your father to take care of your kids.

 

https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/schengen-visa-types/

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Aussiedog said:

 

You're being a dick, pal.

@engelchen probably knows more about this stuff than anyone else here and has willingly given their time to answer questions like this, many, many times.

Drop the attitude, show some gratitude - you are asking/taking, @engelchen is giving - act appropriately.

well, I appreciate any comment (even yours, Aussiedog) because you spent time on it; yes, you are giving. Engelchen kept asking me without giving anything. I kindly ask if knowing the reason for getting D visa helps somehow, but look, he/she kept asking. 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

there is something changed in 2010 about regulation for Visa Type D, which makes me confused. 

Quoted from https://www.auswaertiges-amt.de/en/einreiseundaufenthalt/visabestimmungen-node:

"D visa regulation Regulation (EU) No. 265/2010 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 25 March 2010 amending the Convention Implementing the Schengen Agreement and Regulation (EC) No. 562/2006 as regards movement of persons with a long‑stay visa"

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, bizzu said:

Engelchen kept asking me without giving anything. I kindly ask if knowing the reason for getting D visa helps somehow, but look, he/she kept asking. 

 

I still don't understand why your father received a D Visum while already in Germany. They should not have issued him one.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, engelchen said:

 

I still don't understand why your father received a D Visum while already in Germany. They should not have issued him one.

Frankly, I don't know. Could you please give any reference why it is impossible?

It is not my concern but I am willing to expand my limited knowledge. I think it is similar to the case when someone stay longer than his/her C Visa for some reasons, e.g. medical one, ...

 

Since he now has a type D Visa, could you please kindly help with any additional information?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, kaffeemitmilch said:

I am also surprised to learn that a D visa was given within Germany. But, in the past a D visa (albeit given by the Dutch) did not entitle me to go to other Schengen states. I needed to request a return-visa, and your dad might have to request the equivalent Fiktionsbescheinigung in Germany.

Interesting- as op says his DVisa  shows " Valid for DE"!  I read that as only valid for Germany?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Aussiedog said:

 

You're being a dick, pal.

@engelchen probably knows more about this stuff than anyone else here and has willingly given their time to answer questions like this, many, many times.

Drop the attitude, show some gratitude - you are asking/taking, @engelchen is giving - act appropriately.

@Aussiedog see how @engelchen is giving?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, I must say that I don't see that it really matters how or under what circumstances your father got his D visa, fact is, he got it.

More importantly perhaps, it looks like the answer to your original question is, "No, he cannot travel (legally) to other Schengen countries".

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0