Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Military terms of address from WW2

5 posts in this topic

Hoping there is a military history expert among you TTers who can shed light on the following matters. Yes, I tried googling but found no satisfying answers. 

I'm writing a book set in WW2 and I'm struggling to find out how military people (Wehrmacht) addressed each other and civilians, and vise versa.

Can anyone help?

Specifically, it's an Oberleutnant in the Wehrmacht who is interested in a French young lady; however, they speak German together. They are per Sie. He is on his best behaviour towards her, wanting to impress. The actual text and dialogue is English.

-- he to her: Fräulein Dauguet.  Sometimes, gnädiges Fräulein?

- she to him...? Herr Oberleutnant? Herr von Haagen? 

He introduces her to his friends, whom he addresses as Karl, Fritz etc. Would this be in keeping with etiquette? How would he address his superiors? His inferiors?

Introductions:  "This is Herr Oberleutnant Karl Weber, this is Fräulein Jeanne Dauguet." ???

Again: would she use the rank each time she speaks to them, or Herr soandso? 

Would he wait to be offered first name and Du? He really wants to be called Wolfgang by her, and progress to the Du. Can he demand this, considering his position? Knowing that she is reluctant? This should be good old-fashioned courtship. Year is 1944.

Also, when did Wehrmacht officers click their heels, and to whom?

Thanks for any help, even if it is mostly guesswork.

On 7/16/2018, 5:01:52, optimista said:

PM Gaberlunzi ?

I was not in the German army, so my knowledge about the internal formal or other wise relationship between its members would be very inaccurate. I was in pre-miltary training, but the military could not find a uniform small enough to fit me and so was sent home to mama. The war experiences were bad enough as a civilian to forget about them.

Just pray there won't be a war in Germany! And listen to this man:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rF0nibTtpYY

3 minutes ago, gaberlunzi said:

I was not in the German army, so my knowledge about the internal formal or other wise relationship between its members would be very inaccurate. I was in pre-miltary training, but the military could not find a uniform small enough to fit me and so was sent home to mama. The war experiences were bad enough as a civilian to forget about them.

Just pray there won't be a war in Germany! And listen to this man:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rF0nibTtpYY

And gaberlunzi :rolleyes: is back