Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Ending a job while claiming KrankenGeld (sickpay)

5 posts in this topic

Hallo I am looking for some advice

I have been working as a dishwasher in a very nice place, good people and everything.

I got a trapped nerve in my back causing tingling and pain in my right arm and back.
I went on sick leave and received the 6 weeks of krankengeld from my employer and then moved on to AOKs Krankengeld.

For the treatment, I have had a couple of MRTs and been receiving Physiotherapy. This has taken quite a lot of time I went sick in Feb this year so have been sick for 7 months or so.
I had an appointment with a surgeon who said we should operate, which I didn't really want so we gave it another month to see if things improved, The pain in my arm is now gone and I just have pain in my back now usually after lifting something heavy.

The surgeon has said there's no need to operate right now but if the pain comes back in my arm I should see him immediately.

The Orthopaedic overseeing everything is saying that I have to either have the operation or go back to work.
It's increasingly difficult to get the arbeitsunfahigkeitsbecheinigung from him.

If I go back to work it will involve heavy lifting which will put my back out immediately,
In fact, the surgeon agreed with this and said I should not go back to the work I am currently doing.

I have been advised not to quit my job as then that would stop any Krankengeld I am receiving.
I have explained the situation to my employer and they say that they cannot terminate my contract because I am sick.

How do I transfer from Krankengeld to social security?

If I quit I believe I then cannot claim social security so how can I transition from one to the other?

I would like to take a course for something that does not create problems for my back.
This course is free to take if I have a Bildungsgutschein.

Can I get this while I am sick and claiming krankengeld?

I'm thinking you won't qualify for the equivalent of social security/disability cover as you're not unable to work at all, just unable to continue in your current role due to this health problem and the nature of your work duties.

my *guess* is that the main option open to you is to get signed out of your job due to medical reasons, in which case you should be able to collect unemployment while you look for a job that won't risk your back.

like I said, that's a guess.  If it were me I'd contact the arbeitsamt to see what they say.

People who have been ill a long time can do an Arbeitsversuch. This means instead of going back to work full-time, the person concerned just works  a few hours a day( not necessarily every day) to see if they are fit enough.  If you ask your Dr. to agree to an Arbeitsversuch and this fails, your company may be persuaded to terminate your contract. A contract can be terminated in such cases, particularly if you agree beforehand not to sue them.

Whatever you do , do not sign an Aufhebungsvertrag as this means you agree to your contract being teminated. You will then have to explain to the local job centre why you agreed to this which usually means you will not get any state support for the first few months. Once you are unemployed you might be able to go on a training course to learn new skills through the job-centre.

https://www.arbeitslosenselbsthilfe.org/arbeitsversuch/

Have you heard about the VDK? The VDK is an organisation which can help people with health problems and disablilities.

https://www.vdk.de/deutschland/pages/gesundheit/24570/gesundheit

I can't really understand why you don't want an operation.If you have the operation now, you can recover without worrying about your job as you are on sick anyway and receiving financial support. You could even go to a REHA afterwards.

What will happen if you find a new job and your health problems get worse.

To be ill during a trial period in a new job cannot always be helped but it is not a good idea. 

Last time I washed dishes in a restaurant there was no more than one basket/15kg of plates in a washer....

Get a fucking grip on things!

If you dont like washing dishes... hand in your notice!  

You wont be the only lazy fecker her on TT !!  

Talk to your doctor about getting a kur.  It's basically a full time rehab for 3-4 weeks.  Your doctor can support your application to the rentenkasse and if you are unable to go back to work after the kur, the rentenkasse can help you re-train for another job.