What's your favorite country in Europe?

55 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, MikeMelga said:

I always wanted to visit NZ, but now you made me wonder what the heck you eat down there!

Well frankly New Zealand food is far far better than Portuguese.

Try and get something vegetarian, and not utterly bland in Portugal. 

Unless you think French fries are not bland

8 hours ago, MadAxeMurderer said:

I agree. I lived in NZ for a few years and thought the food was good. I visted Portugal last year and thought the food to be okayish. Maybe I was unlucky but I still wonder why the Portuguese on here go on and on and on about the food in Portugal. 

10 hours ago, MadAxeMurderer said:

Let's not get into this again. The last time you bashed Portuguese food it turned out that you never tasted Portuguese food, just some russian salat and french fries or something.

1 hour ago, Namu said:

I agree. I lived in NZ for a few years and thought the food was good. I visted Portugal last year and thought the food to be okayish. Maybe I was unlucky but I still wonder why the Portuguese on here go on and on and on about the food in Portugal. 

Probably you fell on some tourist traps. Or your taste of food is more fond of asian flavours (spicy), so you won't appreciate our food.

Spain or Portugal for me.

As an Aussie stranded somewhere in the Black Forest, I miss terribly the sea, the beach and everything that goes with it - must admit though I'm getting enough sun at the moment.

As for the food, having been to Spain a few times and to Portugal many, many times, I reckon Spanish food is better mainly for the greater variety (bigger country, more foreign influences, more regional variety etc). Even though the Portugeuse eat too much meat for my liking, I have probably had the freshest and best fish there (SW Portugal/western Algarve)  I've had outside of Australia. And beaches on the west coast on a par with the best surf beaches in OZ to boot.

13 hours ago, MadAxeMurderer said:

3 hours ago, MikeMelga said:

Let's not get into this again. The last time you bashed Portuguese food it turned out that you never tasted Portuguese food, just some russian salat and french fries or something.

While I don't know portuguese cuisine, I suspect the problem is the "vegeterian" part. Most European countries include some sort of meat in their representative food. For instance, in Italy, traditional bastion of good cuisine, you end up with a small selection of Pizza and Pasta (which is traditionally a starter, and doesn't work if you're vegan)

"Classical" European cuisine is simply not suited for vegetarians. Cuisine from countries with a prevalence of dharmic religions is much better developed in this direction.

7 hours ago, Aussiedog said:

Spain or Portugal for me.

As an Aussie stranded somewhere in the Black Forest, I miss terribly the sea, the beach and everything that goes with it - must admit though I'm getting enough sun at the moment.

As for the food, having been to Spain a few times and to Portugal many, many times, I reckon Spanish food is better mainly for the greater variety (bigger country, more foreign influences, more regional variety etc). Even though the Portugeuse eat too much meat for my liking, I have probably had the freshest and best fish there (SW Portugal/western Algarve)  I've had outside of Australia. And beaches on the west coast on a par with the best surf beaches in OZ to boot.

Then you need to head up north here- fresh fish , great restaurants, sea, beach, unde Kieler Woche!

1- Portugal (Lisboa/Porto/Algarve) Nice people, very beautiful, nice weather, Very good food
2- Hungary (Budapest) If you are young it´s very good, a lot of partys etc..
3- Spain (South Spain is very beautiful)
4- Swiss
5- France (saint lary is a very nice city if you like snow sports)
Etc...

France, easy.

I know the language and customs, the people are friendly, the food is generally good, always a variety of things to do. It's just an easy place for me to live/visit and take a breather/mental break from Germany. Which probably explains why I'm there every few weeks !

On 2018-08-06, 10:49:46, MikeMelga said:

Food? Really? These people can't cook, their food is as bad as UK's, with the difference that in UK they don't bother the trouble!

You should come visit us in the south (black forest area).  We have a high concentration of Michelin Star restaurants, which seems to up the ante for even the non-michelin star restaurants in the area.  I experience way more above par dining experiences in this area than i have in anywhere else in the world, save for NYC.   They can do sauces (pepper sauces, cognac sauces, even romesco) here just as good as anywhere in France, and 1000x better than any sauce you'd find in the UK.  I live in a dinky little dorf and i can list at least 5 places within 10 km to get a perfectly cooked Argentinian steak with a signature sauce that makes your mouth water even later in the night after you've eaten.  I have more examples (fresh lobster, fresh mussels, sauerbraten, flammkuchen, home made spaetzel, etc) but i start with steak as my gold standard since its the one thing that SUCKS in both the UK and the rest of germany. 

14 hours ago, Joanie said:

You should come visit us in the south (black forest area).  We have a high concentration of Michelin Star restaurants, which seems to up the ante for even the non-michelin star restaurants in the area.  I experience way more above par dining experiences in this area than i have in anywhere else in the world, save for NYC.   They can do sauces (pepper sauces, cognac sauces, even romesco) here just as good as anywhere in France, and 1000x better than any sauce you'd find in the UK.  I live in a dinky little dorf and i can list at least 5 places within 10 km to get a perfectly cooked Argentinian steak with a signature sauce that makes your mouth water even later in the night after you've eaten.  I have more examples (fresh lobster, fresh mussels, sauerbraten, flammkuchen, home made spaetzel, etc) but i start with steak as my gold standard since its the one thing that SUCKS in both the UK and the rest of germany.

Michelin restaurants are not a measure of quality of the food in the country, they are a measure of the purchase power!!

The quality of the food is seen on average restaurants, which is a reflection of what people eat at home. And the average quality in Germany is quite low, which is also explained by the cheap prices in restaurants. As several German colleagues have told me, a normal German would not pay 20-25€ per dish, which should be correct value for a properly cooked dish, considering the cost of living.

As an example, the average price of a dish in Portugal is around 13-15€. Considering that the cost of living in Germany is 2.5x higher, the same dish should cost 30-35€. Let's give it some margin and say around 25€. But no, the average dish price is around 15-17€, so something is missing here: quality!

And quality is missing because Germans won't pay for it, because they are used to crap.

Or it's cheaper because they use a lot of Pork, which is dirt cheap here. I find the quality here very good. I have a feeling you just don't like the German Cuisine (@Mike)

Quality varies by restaurant but pricing isn't usually wildly different.  Yes in some restos (especially those in the tourist areas) the quality is HORRIBLE.  But I have been to plenty of german restos that offer very good food, cooked from scratch, and well prepared, *for what it is*. 

I mean, by nature it's fairly hearty, stick to your ribs comfort food across the board.  that's my main beef with it - I can only eat so much in the way of braten and spätzle and dumplings and potatoes no matter how well prepared it is.  But when I am in the mood for comfort food, it makes me very happy indeed and I have had no trouble finding "the good stuff". 

I am disappointed at the relative lack (relative to other large international cities) of well prepared foreign cuisines in Munich, but that has already improved a lot so there seems to be some hope.

And for my vote, Germany is my favorite country in Europe - that's why I live here :)  My favorite country to visit, so far, is Spain - I need to explore Spain a bit more.

On 7/26/2018, 10:29:15, Alexnf said:

I love Germany and it is the main reason we came. Hamburg and suburbs are great to live, and very green for such a big city, visit the north for more mountains, so many National parks, little old towns in Harz, we alwas travel around Germany even for day trips.

I love Germany so much! Aachen being my favorite but this past summer explored the Mosel Region area and fell in love with it. Actually, most everywhere I first go in Germany becomes my new 2nd favorite area.  But Aachen still holds my heart. :)

On 8/6/2018, 4:49:46, MikeMelga said:

Italy because of food, wine and friendliness. Also they way they treat small kids.

It is very similar to Portugal, so that's probably the reason.

If the question is: in which European countries would you live, the list would be:

- Portugal

- Italy

- Germany (because things work here)

On 7/26/2018, 10:29:15, Alexnf said:

I love Germany and it is the main reason we came. Hamburg and suburbs are great to live, and very green for such a big city, visit the north for more mountains, so many National parks, little old towns in Harz, we alwas travel around Germany even for day trips.

I love Germany so much! Aachen being my favorite but this past summer explored the Mosel Region area and fell in love with it. Actually, most everywhere I first go in Germany becomes my new 2nd favorite area.  But Aachen still holds my heart. :)

I haven't visited Hamburg yet but hope to soon! :)

Living-wise... Most definitely Germany!

PS_Sorry for the double post. I don't know how to delete the above.

On 28.9.2018, 08:06:52, AndyHix said:

Or it's cheaper because they use a lot of Pork, which is dirt cheap here. I find the quality here very good. I have a feeling you just don't like the German Cuisine (@Mike)

We also eat a lot of pork in Portugal. Pork quality here is good, but it is actually hard to have bad pork quality.

When I go to a good German restaurant, I like the dishes. The problem is that until now I only found 2 good German restaurants in Munich.

You can spot if a dish is well or badly prepared independently of the cuisine. You can spot if the ingredients are good or bad independently of the cuisine. Still, Germany (and easter/northern countries) try to disguise bad quality of ingredients with sauces.