What's your favorite country in Europe?

70 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, MikeMelga said:

I always wanted to visit NZ, but now you made me wonder what the heck you eat down there!

 

Well frankly New Zealand food is far far better than Portuguese.

Try and get something vegetarian, and not utterly bland in Portugal. 

Unless you think French fries are not bland

5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, MadAxeMurderer said:

 

Well frankly New Zealand food is far far better than Portuguese.

Try and get something vegetarian, and not utterly bland in Portugal. 

Unless you think French fries are not bland

 

I agree. I lived in NZ for a few years and thought the food was good. I visted Portugal last year and thought the food to be okayish. Maybe I was unlucky but I still wonder why the Portuguese on here go on and on and on about the food in Portugal. 

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, MadAxeMurderer said:

Well frankly New Zealand food is far far better than Portuguese.

Try and get something vegetarian, and not utterly bland in Portugal. 

Unless you think French fries are not bland

Let's not get into this again. The last time you bashed Portuguese food it turned out that you never tasted Portuguese food, just some russian salat and french fries or something.

 

1 hour ago, Namu said:

I agree. I lived in NZ for a few years and thought the food was good. I visted Portugal last year and thought the food to be okayish. Maybe I was unlucky but I still wonder why the Portuguese on here go on and on and on about the food in Portugal. 

Probably you fell on some tourist traps. Or your taste of food is more fond of asian flavours (spicy), so you won't appreciate our food.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Spain or Portugal for me.

As an Aussie stranded somewhere in the Black Forest, I miss terribly the sea, the beach and everything that goes with it - must admit though I'm getting enough sun at the moment.

As for the food, having been to Spain a few times and to Portugal many, many times, I reckon Spanish food is better mainly for the greater variety (bigger country, more foreign influences, more regional variety etc). Even though the Portugeuse eat too much meat for my liking, I have probably had the freshest and best fish there (SW Portugal/western Algarve)  I've had outside of Australia. And beaches on the west coast on a par with the best surf beaches in OZ to boot.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

13 hours ago, MadAxeMurderer said:

Try and get something vegetarian, and not utterly bland in Portugal. 

 

3 hours ago, MikeMelga said:

Let's not get into this again. The last time you bashed Portuguese food it turned out that you never tasted Portuguese food, just some russian salat and french fries or something.

 

While I don't know portuguese cuisine, I suspect the problem is the "vegeterian" part. Most European countries include some sort of meat in their representative food. For instance, in Italy, traditional bastion of good cuisine, you end up with a small selection of Pizza and Pasta (which is traditionally a starter, and doesn't work if you're vegan)

"Classical" European cuisine is simply not suited for vegetarians. Cuisine from countries with a prevalence of dharmic religions is much better developed in this direction.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Aussiedog said:

Spain or Portugal for me.

As an Aussie stranded somewhere in the Black Forest, I miss terribly the sea, the beach and everything that goes with it - must admit though I'm getting enough sun at the moment.

As for the food, having been to Spain a few times and to Portugal many, many times, I reckon Spanish food is better mainly for the greater variety (bigger country, more foreign influences, more regional variety etc). Even though the Portugeuse eat too much meat for my liking, I have probably had the freshest and best fish there (SW Portugal/western Algarve)  I've had outside of Australia. And beaches on the west coast on a par with the best surf beaches in OZ to boot.

 

Then you need to head up north here- fresh fish , great restaurants, sea, beach, unde Kieler Woche!

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1- Portugal (Lisboa/Porto/Algarve) Nice people, very beautiful, nice weather, Very good food
2- Hungary (Budapest) If you are young it´s very good, a lot of partys etc..
3- Spain (South Spain is very beautiful)
4- Swiss
5- France (saint lary is a very nice city if you like snow sports)
Etc...

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

France, easy.

 

I know the language and customs, the people are friendly, the food is generally good, always a variety of things to do. It's just an easy place for me to live/visit and take a breather/mental break from Germany. Which probably explains why I'm there every few weeks !

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2018-08-06, 10:49:46, MikeMelga said:

 

 

Food? Really? These people can't cook, their food is as bad as UK's, with the difference that in UK they don't bother the trouble!

 

You should come visit us in the south (black forest area).  We have a high concentration of Michelin Star restaurants, which seems to up the ante for even the non-michelin star restaurants in the area.  I experience way more above par dining experiences in this area than i have in anywhere else in the world, save for NYC.   They can do sauces (pepper sauces, cognac sauces, even romesco) here just as good as anywhere in France, and 1000x better than any sauce you'd find in the UK.  I live in a dinky little dorf and i can list at least 5 places within 10 km to get a perfectly cooked Argentinian steak with a signature sauce that makes your mouth water even later in the night after you've eaten.  I have more examples (fresh lobster, fresh mussels, sauerbraten, flammkuchen, home made spaetzel, etc) but i start with steak as my gold standard since its the one thing that SUCKS in both the UK and the rest of germany. 

 

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Joanie said:

 

You should come visit us in the south (black forest area).  We have a high concentration of Michelin Star restaurants, which seems to up the ante for even the non-michelin star restaurants in the area.  I experience way more above par dining experiences in this area than i have in anywhere else in the world, save for NYC.   They can do sauces (pepper sauces, cognac sauces, even romesco) here just as good as anywhere in France, and 1000x better than any sauce you'd find in the UK.  I live in a dinky little dorf and i can list at least 5 places within 10 km to get a perfectly cooked Argentinian steak with a signature sauce that makes your mouth water even later in the night after you've eaten.  I have more examples (fresh lobster, fresh mussels, sauerbraten, flammkuchen, home made spaetzel, etc) but i start with steak as my gold standard since its the one thing that SUCKS in both the UK and the rest of germany.

Michelin restaurants are not a measure of quality of the food in the country, they are a measure of the purchase power!!

 

The quality of the food is seen on average restaurants, which is a reflection of what people eat at home. And the average quality in Germany is quite low, which is also explained by the cheap prices in restaurants. As several German colleagues have told me, a normal German would not pay 20-25€ per dish, which should be correct value for a properly cooked dish, considering the cost of living.

As an example, the average price of a dish in Portugal is around 13-15€. Considering that the cost of living in Germany is 2.5x higher, the same dish should cost 30-35€. Let's give it some margin and say around 25€. But no, the average dish price is around 15-17€, so something is missing here: quality!

And quality is missing because Germans won't pay for it, because they are used to crap.

 

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Or it's cheaper because they use a lot of Pork, which is dirt cheap here. I find the quality here very good. I have a feeling you just don't like the German Cuisine (@Mike)

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Quality varies by restaurant but pricing isn't usually wildly different.  Yes in some restos (especially those in the tourist areas) the quality is HORRIBLE.  But I have been to plenty of german restos that offer very good food, cooked from scratch, and well prepared, *for what it is*. 

 

I mean, by nature it's fairly hearty, stick to your ribs comfort food across the board.  that's my main beef with it - I can only eat so much in the way of braten and spätzle and dumplings and potatoes no matter how well prepared it is.  But when I am in the mood for comfort food, it makes me very happy indeed and I have had no trouble finding "the good stuff". 

 

I am disappointed at the relative lack (relative to other large international cities) of well prepared foreign cuisines in Munich, but that has already improved a lot so there seems to be some hope.

 

And for my vote, Germany is my favorite country in Europe - that's why I live here :)  My favorite country to visit, so far, is Spain - I need to explore Spain a bit more.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/26/2018, 10:29:15, Alexnf said:

I love Germany and it is the main reason we came. Hamburg and suburbs are great to live, and very green for such a big city, visit the north for more mountains, so many National parks, little old towns in Harz, we alwas travel around Germany even for day trips.

 

 

I love Germany so much! Aachen being my favorite but this past summer explored the Mosel Region area and fell in love with it. Actually, most everywhere I first go in Germany becomes my new 2nd favorite area.  But Aachen still holds my heart. :)

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/6/2018, 4:49:46, MikeMelga said:

Italy because of food, wine and friendliness. Also they way they treat small kids.

It is very similar to Portugal, so that's probably the reason.

 

If the question is: in which European countries would you live, the list would be:

- Portugal

- Italy

- Germany (because things work here)

 

On 7/26/2018, 10:29:15, Alexnf said:

I love Germany and it is the main reason we came. Hamburg and suburbs are great to live, and very green for such a big city, visit the north for more mountains, so many National parks, little old towns in Harz, we alwas travel around Germany even for day trips.

 

 

I love Germany so much! Aachen being my favorite but this past summer explored the Mosel Region area and fell in love with it. Actually, most everywhere I first go in Germany becomes my new 2nd favorite area.  But Aachen still holds my heart. :)

 

I haven't visited Hamburg yet but hope to soon! :)

 

Living-wise... Most definitely Germany!

 

PS_Sorry for the double post. I don't know how to delete the above.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 28.9.2018, 08:06:52, AndyHix said:

Or it's cheaper because they use a lot of Pork, which is dirt cheap here. I find the quality here very good. I have a feeling you just don't like the German Cuisine (@Mike)

We also eat a lot of pork in Portugal. Pork quality here is good, but it is actually hard to have bad pork quality.

When I go to a good German restaurant, I like the dishes. The problem is that until now I only found 2 good German restaurants in Munich.

You can spot if a dish is well or badly prepared independently of the cuisine. You can spot if the ingredients are good or bad independently of the cuisine. Still, Germany (and easter/northern countries) try to disguise bad quality of ingredients with sauces.

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like some small and exotic countries like Cyprus, Malta and Gibraltar. Cyprus is like a blend of Greece, Turkey and even the ME but Malta and Gibraltar are often forgotten.

They strike me as almost like those immigrant New world societies. Seeing people with Arabic, Spanish or Italian surnames speaking English natively is so unexpected!

 

The locals in Malta are mixed between Maltese, Italians, Jews and some Brtis. And Gibraltarians are a unique blend of Spaniards (mostly Andalucians), Brtis, Italians, Maltese, Moroccans but also Portuguese and Indians. Heck, there are recent Swiss and German expats living there (or on the cheaper Spanish side but often visiting). People often forget they exist but to me they're multiculturalism done right (maybe being small and multicultural for centuries helps, you can't get far in a small place by being hostile to your fellow man; maybe people there learned to accept differences for the common good). I also believe in an island of just just 525,285 and an even smaller peninsula town of ~30k people disruptive behavior is not tolerated much. It must be great to have English-speaking authorities in a good climate without having to go all the way to the USA or Australia!

 

Greece and Cyprus are also pretty, but they're too warm in summer for me, Gibraltar is more bearable believe it or not. Same for most of Spain - great culture, people (except Madrileños;) ) and food but some areas get way too hot in the summer. Still, I like how it's so clean, even Andalucía is much cleaner than, say Greece.

 

I love Portugal, esp. Braga, Lisbon, Porto and of course the Algarve and Madeira. The Azores aren't bad either but way too isolated

 

I like the architecture, cultures and nature of Austria, Germany, Hungary and Czechia but I'm afraid the people are not very warm nor welcoming there (I come from Southern Europe so it's hard to find most people outside of Southern Europe as friendly). Budapest, Salzburg and the Alpine areas are surprisingly beautiful and Czechia has some fairy-tale like old towns like Klatovy and Cesky Krumlov, not to mention the UNESCO Spa towns of Karlovy Vary and Marianske Lazne. As for Germany I love the very southern tips with the Alpine meadows, ofc the German cars, esp. from the 90s and their pop culture and music from the 70s to 90s. I also like Hungary, esp. Budapest.

 

I like the slightly melancholic pop culture of Sweden and the beautiful nature there plus their freedom to roam free.

35349302914_92ccf34013_b[1].jpg

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Try Liechtenstein. Also a small but interesting country. If you do, do not be lazy and go all the way up to Malbun, not just visit the capital town. 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, bytex said:

I like some small and exotic countries like Cyprus, Malta and Gibraltar. Cyprus is like a blend of Greece, Turkey and even the ME but Malta and Gibraltar are often forgotten.

 

Sadly Malta has fallen into the hands of developers, and boy do they develop. Old townhouses; gone, replaced by highrise flats that nobody can afford! Beautiful art deco buildings along the Sliema seafront; gone. Ancient temples, gone by a "whoopsie" from an excavator. The list is endless.

Injured immigrant workers dumped on the side of the road for someone else to take care of, knife gangs in Qawra. Unemployed and very aggressive "immigrants" roaming the streets. The skyline dotted with cranes and corruption in the highest levels of government.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've realized that I don't think any country is that great. I'm just having to make do with one or the other. I'm not limiting this just to Europe. Plus, with me it seems the grass is always greener on the other side, so when I'm here, I long for somewhere else, even the shitty conditions in the United States sometimes, and when I was there, I wanted out. Ah, life is going to be hard :(

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, slammer said:

Sadly Malta has fallen into the hands of developers,

Before that it had already fallen into the hands of Italians (or Romans as they were called at the time) who completely deforested it as they needed the wood for their galleys. That resulted in erosion so that no trees can grow anymore. I haven´t seen a single tree in Malta, much less a forest. That spoiled it for me. Plus the air pollution caused by their ancient cars. Disclaimer: that was more than 20 years ago. Maybe it has changed.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now