What's your favorite country in Europe?

55 posts in this topic

43 minutes ago, LeonG said:

Iceland because it never reaches 30°C there B)

Ha, let's wait a few more years and then you can grow oranges.

4 hours ago, Alexnf said:

I love Germany and it is the main reason we came. Hamburg and suburbs are great to live, and very green for such a big city, visit the north for more mountains, so many National parks, little old towns in Harz, we alwas travel around Germany even for day trips.

i also like Denmark a lot.

I quite like Greece!:D

So terrible with the fires this week...was watching Greek TV in a taverna tonight. Horrible, sad, so sad.:(:(

1 hour ago, LukeSkywalker said:

Ha, let's wait a few more years and then you can grow oranges.

Actually they say Iceland is in a "cold pocket" and will just get colder so probably no oranges.  This summer it's rained almost every day and the max temp in Reykjavik so far this summer is 14°C.  Usually it's a bit warmer there.

On 7/25/2018, 10:37:05, RedMidge said:

I like Denmark - clean, friendly, easy to get around , and even like the food!

(also easy to reach:))

Same here, it is our family's favorite place.   We started going there because of Legoland and it became our favorite spot for short and long holidays.   The people is super friendly, unbelievable friendly, they have amazing museums and there is always something about vikings that keep our kids interested.  The weather is not that great sometimes, but is is manageable.  And they have camping places that are super nice, some are the best we have visited in Europe.

17 hours ago, Alexnf said:

I love Germany and it is the main reason we came. Hamburg and suburbs are great to live, and very green for such a big city, visit the north for more mountains, so many National parks, little old towns in Harz, we alwas travel around Germany even for day trips.

i also like Denmark a lot.

BTW I mistyped north instead of south for mountains (living in Greece it used to be the other way around..). Here north is as flat as it gets :D 

31 minutes ago, Alexnf said:

BTW I mistyped north instead of south for mountains (living in Greece it used to be the other way around..). Here north is as flat as it gets :D 

Depends on the point of view. From where I am, the Thüringer Wald is north and closer than the real mountains in the south (The Harz is a bit farther away but not by much)

33 minutes ago, msam said:

Depends on the point of view. From where I am, the Thüringer Wald is north and closer than the real mountains in the south (The Harz is a bit farther away but not by much)

Here this is the highest point to the north :  The Bungsberg is the highest point in the north German state of Schleswig-Holstein (elevation: 168 metres (551 ft))

And a bit to the north, Schwarze Berge at 112m.

I wouldn't even call them mountains. That height is a typical bump on a greek road :D 

26 minutes ago, Alexnf said:

Here this is the highest point to the north :  The Bungsberg is the highest point in the north German state of Schleswig-Holstein (elevation: 168 metres (551 ft))

And a bit to the north, Schwarze Berge at 112m.

I wouldn't even call them mountains. That height is a typical bump on a greek road :D 

The tallest "mountain" in Denmark is Himmelbjerget with 147m.  Good sense of humour to call it that too.  

ALL things considered:  Germany.   

I can list other places that impress me, like Serbia, Bosnia, etc - really nice countries to visit.  I have a good friend from Bosnia and when i complimented her on her country, she remarked its great, but extremely macho.  These are the little things you wouldn't know just by visiting.  I found Portugal really relaxed and great food.  Italy is beautiful in some locations but looks like a trash can in others, which irked me on behalf of its citizens. Plus, corruption.   I love french culture but not its lack of order.  In both Italy and France getting ripped off seemed more likely than in Germany or Holland or Denmark, and that's a turn off for me. Holland is SO nice, but the absence of forests and mountains is only mildly made up for by the presences of water. 

I find Germany has the best balance: decent economy, relatively clean, low crime, relaxed people (ok, i live in Badnerland, you can't beat that), nature, good schools.   My only complained is that i miss having the sea, but theres enough baggersees and even water skiing on the Rhine to keep me happy. 

From the places I've been to, almost by order of preference (I'm never 100% sure):

Norway

Scotland

Switzerland

Portugal

Italy

Croatia

Sweden

Still want to visit:

Iceland

Estonia

A bit more of Denmark before I make up my mind (just across the border from Germany does not count)

Serbia

Montenegro

Malta

Here by choice too. But one of the additional attractions was to be able to jump in the car and visit other countries. We live on the border of Belgium and Holland, which allows us to shop on Sundays, which is also nice. 

It's a joy to live on the continent in a location where there are so many places to visit just a few hours by car. I lived in Stockholm for many years, and the options there are really limited unless you sail or enjoy walking in the forest. 

Despite the chaos that Brexit is causing right now, I would still say the UK. From the beaches of Cornwall, to the highlands of Scotland and all the national parks in between, there is plenty to see and do. People are (generally) friendly, there is a large food variety and the pub culture is awesome. To me it just feels like one of the most culturally diverse places in Europe. I really enjoy going back to visit.

Germany because of the food and beer

Italy because of the food and wine

Ireland because of the beer

Czech Rep because of the beer and food

Spain seems ok too, but I've only been there once

Italy because of food, wine and friendliness. Also they way they treat small kids.

It is very similar to Portugal, so that's probably the reason.

If the question is: in which European countries would you live, the list would be:

- Portugal

- Italy

- Germany (because things work here)

15 minutes ago, AndyHix said:

Germany because of the food and beer

Food? Really? These people can't cook, their food is as bad as UK's, with the difference that in UK they don't bother the trouble!

1 hour ago, MikeMelga said:

Food? Really? These people can't cook, their food is as bad as UK's, with the difference that in UK they don't bother the trouble!

In the UK people go to the Indian restaurant for dinner :). A decent British dish is lamb with roast potatoes and mint sauce. A good fish & chips is not bad either, but you need to know where you can get it.

In Germany the food is too fatty and too porky, but I personally like a Hirschgulasch (red deer stew) or a roasted chicken in a beergarden. A good Bratwurst with mustard in a roll. 

2 hours ago, MikeMelga said:

Yes, really. I love it, probably more that any other, and I don't really care for the Wurst that much. It's the pork, spätzle, brotzeit. It also helps that my wife and mother in law are both fantastic cooks.

And yes, English food is boring

1 hour ago, AndyHix said:

Yes, really. I love it, probably more that any other, and I don't really care for the Wurst that much. It's the pork, spätzle, brotzeit. It also helps that my wife and mother in law are both fantastic cooks.

And yes, English food is boring

Yeap I am also a big fan of the food here as well.  helps that B-W has arguably the best food in Germany, and that my Mother in law is an amazing cook.  The Schwäbisch Küche is great!

I'm a railway enthusiast, so I'd have to say Switzerland, Europe's favourite train-set :)

Matterhorn.jpg.04e770d904c26b1426c9fcca9

It also has some rather stunning views...

Ireland comes a close second...

6 hours ago, Kiwistylz said:

Yeap I am also a big fan of the food here as well.  helps that B-W has arguably the best food in Germany, and that my Mother in law is an amazing cook.  The Schwäbisch Küche is great!

I always wanted to visit NZ, but now you made me wonder what the heck you eat down there!