What's your favorite country in Europe?

47 posts in this topic

Hey guys!

I was wondering... what's your favorite country in Europe and way?

Montenegro. Has fascinating mosques on the border with Albania, the Bay of Kotor, awesomely beautiful girls. 

It's hard to pick a favourite, but mine is Serbia.   The whole place, and Belgrade's my favourite city. 

I worked in Montegenro, albeit the inland political centre not the coast that most people visit it for.  It's also good.   I learned among other things that Montenegrin women are the tallest in Europe, which also goes some way to backing up their excellence in handball.   Yes, the men in this region are just as hot too, of course :lol:.

I also like Norway (everyone has their Scandi favourite and that's mine),  Lithuania (ditto the Baltics) and  Switzerland and Luxembourg (you rarely hear it on city break lists but the city is a great place to spend time).   I spend most of my holidays in central and eastern Europe.   Just so many fantastic choices.

Italy is just one big museum. Great design, clothes, shoes. Nero d'Avola wine.

I also like France with it's Côte d'Azur (bring along your credit card), the Strasbourg region and Paris, of course. Most popular holiday country for Dutch people since ages.

Iceland. Incredible volcanic landscape, the freshest air imaginable and very friendly people. I love colder climates and wish I was there now :) 

I like them all! If you have friends or family anywhere in Europe, you have that feeling..

but currently a magical place just around the corner from us:

https://www.google.gr/search?q=mochlos+crete&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=8HXZ9p29pwASPM%253A%252CfPqiARL00JkdlM%252C_&usg=__-N2l9IFa8VQrqf8kajK7J5lLRC0%3D&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwi_o4-UibvcAhULM5oKHVNiA9MQ9QEwBXoECAYQCA#imgrc=8HXZ9p29pwASPM:

100 souls there out of season. Bit quiet tourist-wise this July...where have they buggered off to?

Malta. Especially Gozo.

I miss the island a great deal...

14 hours ago, john g. said:

I like them all! If you have friends or family anywhere in Europe, you have that feeling..

It's true and Europe's tentacles extend quite a long way as the recent World Cup showed.   I recently travelled through the Caucasus and that was fantastic.  Tbilisi is every bit as good as the hype (superb place for a trip, great variety of things to do and wonderful food) and Armenia was absolutely brilliant.

I go elsewhere on business but hardly ever for vacation in about 15 years (Korea is about all).  There's no need, is there?  I am actually planning another one this morning but to be honest I lose my bearings fast when exposed to a different continent.   Having to make a real effort to get my head round some guidebooks.  Thus am thinking Kazakhstan,  that is European for football purposes, although not for ESC, the two modern cultural reference points :lol:

I love Germany and it is the main reason we came. Hamburg and suburbs are great to live, and very green for such a big city, visit the north for more mountains, so many National parks, little old towns in Harz, we alwas travel around Germany even for day trips.

i also like Denmark a lot.

56 minutes ago, Alexnf said:

I love Germany and it is the main reason we came.

Quite so, it seems really weird that us people who almost exclusively moved to germany from elsewhere would say we prefer other countries.  Maybe Im lucky, but Im here by choice.

3 minutes ago, zwiebelfisch said:

Quite so, it seems really weird that us people who almost exclusively moved to germany from elsewhere would say we prefer other countries.  Maybe Im lucky, but Im here by choice.

I am also here by choice and love living here. I mentioned  Denmark, as it s almost an extension of SH!

1 hour ago, Alexnf said:

Hamburg and suburbs are great to live, and very green for such a big city,...

Must look brownish by now :unsure:.

1 hour ago, zwiebelfisch said:

I would not say it is luck but rather life's randomness.   I'd barely spent any time at all here before I moved here, for a partner.   Without that, it's most unlikely I'd ever have come, or emigrated.  Never had any such ambition.   I was fine in London.   I had spent more time in the two other DACH nations, and they are also great.   Austria's lovely especially the Tyrol.  Salzburg would be one of my favourite European cities.

But just moving that hour east had made a vast different to my travel.   It was the "one-two hour east" that took me to Berlin et al.   And now "one-two hour east" takes me to Slovenia and Serbia, and the closest bits of the former USSR.    (And many of their airlines having hubs here really helps).

4 hours ago, Metall said:

So why are you still on pesticide ridden Cyprus then?? :D  :P

Because of their labour regulations which make it affordable to hire a private caregiver for my mother.

G. Domestic Workers Salary

The gross salary for a Domestic Worker is €460 and the net salary is €309.

I also like that I can use my scooter all year round and that I don´t have to shovel snow while I can find trees providing shade for my hammock. People are friendly, my neighbours very nice and helpful, the gym has an indoor pool heated to 30 degrees, cost of living is low and you can get along with English. Just to name a few of my reasons. Have I mentioned that the tax threshold is € 19500.- and that I´m tax exempt anyway for another 13 years under their non-domiciled resident rules?