Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Führerschein Adventures!

16 posts in this topic

So I arrived from America 1 year ago next month. I am from Pennsylvania which has full reciprocity. My problem? I have a Class A CDL. The law states “Class C”. I’ve tried everything. Given them everything short of a blood sample. They say “get x and you can have y” more times than I can remember now. I produce said things and they deny me as if we never had the discussion prior to that. I even paid for it last visit. Was told I will get my license when I come back with vision test and first aid. Came back a week later. They say “so what driving school are you going to?” Hahhhaha oh my word. So they have my vision test, American DL, and only handed me back the first aid slip. If I go to the driving school won’t they need that stuff?? 

Side question: I wrote PennDot and they said I can get my CDL de-certified through mail and they will send me my Class C. But I’m worried because I read of the license is issued within 6 months or after initial entry to Germany it won’t be accepted. Can my old license’s from Pa serve as proof I have driven there for years? Thanks 

My American license says “Class A” literally can drive all things. The german law says the exchange can be made for “Class C”. So I’m being jerked around for a year now. If I send away to America for a class C license, can I use my old license as proof of driving history?

It may well be that you can drive motor bikes,  trucks, Hummers, trains in the US with your US licence, but it seems Germany may require further training for some classes? Just a passing thought?

1 hour ago, Reagon said:

My American license says “Class A” literally can drive all things. The german law says the exchange can be made for “Class C”. So I’m being jerked around for a year now. If I send away to America for a class C license, can I use my old license as proof of driving history?

It doesn't matter. You'e boned on the commercial license. PA only has reciprocity for the regular license. They are not wrong, you are.

http://www.bmvi.de/SharedDocs/EN/Documents/LA/driving-licence-provisions-fact-sheet.pdf?__blob=publicationFile

Page 5

They have your old license already and they know you have applied. You of course kept a photocopy, right? Get the Penn DOT swap and get your complete driving history from them (certified) as well. This way you are covered. (Then you have to pay for a court certified translation of that, too.)

56 minutes ago, Reagon said:

So I arrived from America 1 year ago next month. I am from Pennsylvania which has full reciprocity. My problem? I have a Class A CDL. The law states “Class C”. I’ve tried everything.

Welcome to Toytown Germany

It appears you've probably already confused the folks at whichever Führerscheinstelle you're dealing with enough, but if you want the best free service from us TTers then please don't start by trying to confuse us too.

You might tell us why, if your profile location of Hamburg is correct, you're posting this in the Franken & Oberpfalz section (which is about Life in Bavaria).

If you just want to be able to drive cars and light trucks up to 3.5 tonnes GVW then you're doing it all wrong. If you want to drive vehicles beyond those limits then you will have to play by their rules.

Given them everything short of a blood sample. They say “get x and you can have y” more times than I can remember now. I produce said things and they deny me as if we never had the discussion prior to that. I even paid for it last visit. Was told I will get my license when I come back with vision test and first aid. Came back a week later. They say “so what driving school are you going to?” Hahhhaha oh my word. So they have my vision test, American DL, and only handed me back the first aid slip. If I go to the driving school won’t they need that stuff?? 

From what you're saying here it appears that, instead of applying for a simple exchange of a foreign drivers license under FEV §31, you have applied for a permit to obtain a new drivers license thus they have required you to provide evidence of the sight test and first aid course and now they need to know the name of the driving school you will be attending to take the theoretic and practical driving lessons so they can issue you with the learners permit for which you have paid.

Your chosen driving school will know that you must have passed the sight test in order to get that permit.

Side question: I wrote PennDot and they said I can get my CDL de-certified through mail and they will send me my Class C. But I’m worried because I read of the license is issued within 6 months or after initial entry to Germany it won’t be accepted. Can my old license’s from Pa serve as proof I have driven there for years? Thanks 

I don't know why you would want to have your Penn DL de-certified from its CDL status. That wouldn't alter your eligibility under FEV §31 Abs. (1) and Abs. (2) in conjunction with FEV Anlage 11 to have your Penn DL exchanged as if it were the equivalent to a Penn (class C) DL.

If the Führerscheinstelle has your current US DL then they can already see from its date of issue how long you have held it.

I think you need to;

1) read and understand the Sections of law under which you should have applied to the Führeschenstelle for an exchange of license,

2) take a German speaker who has some knowledge of German legalese and Beamtendeutsch with you on your next visit and

3) reapply under the correct procedure

4) then cancel your current application process.

FeV 2010: Driving License Issuing Ordnance (Act of Law in Germany)

(1). If the holder of a licence issued in a State listed in Appendix 11 and in a category listed in Appendix 11 and who has the right or the right to drive a motor vehicle within the country to issue a licence for the corresponding category of motor vehicle, the following provisions shall not apply:

1.  §11 paragraph 9 on the medical examination and § 12 paragraph 6 on the examination of vision, unless an examination is necessary in appropriate application of the regulations in §§ 23 and 24,
2.  §12 paragraph 2 about the eye test,
3.  §15 on the qualifying examination in accordance with Annex 11,
4.  §19 about first aid training,
5.  the rules on training.

If the holder of a driving licence issued in a country listed in Appendix 11 but in a category not listed in Appendix 11 and who has the right or the right to drive a motor vehicle within Germany the right to issue a driving licence for the corresponding category of motor vehicle paragraph (2) applies accordingly.

(2) If the holder of a driving licence from a country not listed in Annex 11 applies for a driving licence for the corresponding category of motor vehicles under the conditions of paragraph (1) sentences 1 and 2, the provisions on training shall not apply.

^^ Translated with help of www.deepl.com from relevant parts of FEV §31  FeV 2010: Section 31 Issuing of Driving License (Permit) to holders of non-EU License (Permit)

FeV 2010: Annexe 11 - List of States - Endorsement Codes & Special Conditions

2B

Yea I must have made a mistake with the location I apologize. 

Thanks for all of your replies.

Its not an application for a learner permit. They are treating my license as that of one from a state with no reciprocity. Theory and driving test no classes needed. 

Yes actually..decertification of MY CDL status will issue me a Class C because I got my class C when I was 16. Went to truck school at 20. Sooo yea. I send the paper work and they mail me a shiny new license. 

Nope, first visit I made was to the Führerscheinstelle.

The problem is the letter on my license. A and they want C. I can have PennDot send me a Class C license. It sucks giving up something I studied and paid for but fuck it I live here now. 

New license will have same DL number, picture, expiration date (so it’s not a (renewal) it will display a current issue date and say Class C ??‍♂️. Will the license they have now serve as proof I obviously didn’t travel from somewhere and get a Pa license to exchange it ?. I have an even older one that dates back 6 years too ??

As you noted if the class C license has a issue date after you established residency here they will not accept it.  Be sure the new one has the same issue date and expiration as your current license.  Also, there is nothing unusual about requiring a vision test.  I had to provide one with my Texas license (full reciprocity).

The vision test isn’t what has me bent. It’s that they told me If I got it in writing that I had a C license and jumped to A than they would give me my German B license. I got it in writing. Gave it to them and they told me to get the vision test and do my first aid and they would send my file up to Münich to be processed and I’d have my license. So I got said vision test and first aid. Proudly walked it in to them. And they said I have to go to driving school. I was like what about the paper I gave you from PennDot? ...they lost it. They actually lost it...

I was like what about the paper I gave you from PennDot? ...they lost it. They actually lost it...

And I'm like...

FFS...

why oh why didn't this vital piece of info appear in your OP...

instead of letting us all waste our time trying to help you with the wrong problem?

You should have started an official administrative complaint procedure right there and then.

I might've helped you with that but I don't have time for pulling your teeth one by one.

I've already got too many that need pulling IRL.

You might try using the site search with key words like Aufsichtsdienst Amtsbeschwerde Rechtskräftige+Bescheide

2B

please do tell me how to do that. I even had a work colleague along with me at the appointment they told me I get my license and when I gave them that paper. She is a German and speaks fluent English so I know there was no confusion on that 

1 hour ago, Reagon said:

The vision test isn’t what has me bent. It’s that they told me If I got it in writing that I had a C license and jumped to A than they would give me my German B license. I got it in writing. Gave it to them and they told me to get the vision test and do my first aid and they would send my file up to Münich to be processed and I’d have my license. So I got said vision test and first aid. Proudly walked it in to them. And they said I have to go to driving school. I was like what about the paper I gave you from PennDot? ...they lost it. They actually lost it...

You don't have to swap your license within the first 6 months, you just can't drive on your U.S. license after that.  

Did you make a copy of that unnamed document before you submitted to the Amt? Can you get another copy of it from the U.S. (might as well start that now so that you don't have to wait for it if you need it).  When I turned in my paperwork to the 'Amt for a partial license conversion I was surprised I didn't get a receipt showing what documents I had submitted.  I've learned to make a copy of all documents I submit, at the very least a picture with my phone.