Looking for Apartment - Apartment rental agencies

3 posts in this topic

For the last 6 months I have been looking for a decent one person apartment (kitchen, room, bathroom), with no luck, 99% of the  landlords, when I call, they ask a few basic questions and then you never hear from them again so I'm not sure what is the problem I have a full-time job and I am capable of paying my rent, my German is still relatively bad, so that may be an issue, still I think its  good enough to get my point across . But anyway I'm considering hiring an Apartment rental agency as things are getting urgent. I'm interested to know can someone recommend one that operates in Sank Augustin area and can tell me how much do they charge for their services on average. Also if you know any agencies that have an English speaking option please feel free to recommend.

Thank You very much in advance.

Just now, Anto P said:

...when I call ...  my German is still relatively bad,

- that will be the problem - if a landlord/lady cannot understand what you are trying to say, or hear that your language skills are not very good, they might tend to think that you are in a low-payed job, unemployed, or just got off that last boat from China. (of course one shouldn't make assumptions, but everybody does!)

By going through an agency, at least you will have the agency making the first contact to the landlord/lady, and they will lilkely be more successful.

I found our apartment via a property app. Google property app Hamburg. 

The key is literally applying to hundreds of ads, it’s a numbers game. 

For every application submit all your documents, passport, residence permit, contract with employer, shufa. Via email / the app. Also have copies to give to tenants / landloards in person when you go to viewings. 

For us I had a cover page with a few pics as well as a short description about us and why we would be good tenants. I said things like, I don’t know many people  in Hamburg so there will never be big parties or loud friends over disturbing neighbours. I also said things like, I am new to Hamburg & looking for a long term lease, things like this. 

We got shortlisted for a few and landed up choosing the one we wanted. 

Before we did this we had the exact same issue as you. I also suggest asking a german friend to help you or go with you to viewings. 

I hope this helps.