Finding an Apartment while Working: How is it done?

6 posts in this topic

I just moved to Berlin and am looking for an apartment. From next week I am going to work full-time but the appointments for viewing apartments are always during working hours. I have tried contacting the agents to ask if it is possible to see it some other time and to ask how working people usually do it - no reply. What does everyone else do? 

I am so pissed off with how things are in Germany with this. For the last few months I have worked freelance with an irregular income and have ended up having to pay double the rental costs to live in holiday homes because no one would rent to me. Now I actually have a work contract and it seems I can't get to even see the apartments. Why is everything so damn difficult here...

Yes, it's a very well known problem. I think there is no easy solution, you just have to beg your employer with flexibility with your working time.

Good luck.

go to the showing when it's scheduled

explain to your boss you need to find a place to live, and tell them you might need to take lunch early or late (or whatever) to go to showings. Give them as much advance notice as possible. 

If your job/boss will not allow this kind of flexibility, you might have to hire a makler. 

17 minutes ago, Atrag said:

I just moved to Berlin and am looking for an apartment. From next week I am going to work full-time but the appointments for viewing apartments are always during working hours. I have tried contacting the agents to ask if it is possible to see it some other time and to ask how working people usually do it - no reply. What does everyone else do? 

I am so pissed off with how things are in Germany with this. For the last few months I have worked freelance with an irregular income and have ended up having to pay double the rental costs to live in holiday homes because no one would rent to me. Now I actually have a work contract and it seems I can't get to even see the apartments. Why is everything so damn difficult here...

Just ask your boss straight up. Most shouldnt mind. Are you gonna be a better worker with no place to live?

23 minutes ago, Atrag said:

As others have suggested - speak to your boss first and tell them up front. Say you'll be out for x hours during lunch, but will be in early / late to make up the time. I've actually found it to be a lot more relaxed in Germany about such matters than where I worked before in the UK.

My employer has been pretty understanding about my relocation here and understands its not a quick process, hence my endless trips out for apartment viewings / going to the Rathaus / bank etc etc in the first few weeks.

I recently concluded an apartment search in Berlin, and even though some house agents still give house visit appointments to weekends, most that do on weekdays do either early in the morning or late in the evening. Either way, note that not all appointments can be convenient for you either because of distance to work or time.

Talk to you Boss so he's aware in case you show up 15 mins late to work

Good luck, and be well prepared for craziness!!!