Turning in resignation letter while on vacation

10 posts in this topic

I’ve been offered a job unofficially, and I suspect by the time I get the official letter, I’ll be on vacation.

Can I still mail in a letter of resignation? If I wait until I’m back in Berlin, I’ll have to wait until the end of September to leave, but I’d like to leave in the middle of September at the latest. Hence the need to submit my resignation by 15 August; however, I’ll officially be on holiday until 17 August . Would my resignation be counted from the day it’s received even though I’ll be on vacation?

3 hours ago, Santitas said:

I’ve been offered a job unofficially, and I suspect by the time I get the official letter, I’ll be on vacation.

Can I still mail in a letter of resignation? If I wait until I’m back in Berlin, I’ll have to wait until the end of September to leave, but I’d like to leave in the middle of September at the latest. Hence the need to submit my resignation by 15 August; however, I’ll officially be on holiday until 17 August . Would my resignation be counted from the day it’s received even though I’ll be on vacation?

You should probably get a lawyer to answer?

I'm not a lawyer but just from a practical point of view this seems like a bad idea... what if the letter gets there late or not at all?

3 hours ago, Santitas said:

Why not just tell your new employer "I've book vacation already until such and such, can I start on such and such so I have time to tie up loose ends"?

Ah, just send a postcard from Bora Bora with greetings and inform them your resignation :).

1 hour ago, LukeSkywalker said:

Ah, just send a postcard from Bora Bora with greetings and inform them your resignation :).

But say you have been delayed by hurricane and airport closures. Please send next 2 months salary.

Provided you have some evidence the letter was delivered on time (for example, by sending in pro einschreiben einwurf) I don't think you have a lot to worry about.  

Also, it would be mighty decent to call your boss as soon as you accept the new job and tell them what's going on.  

On 7/11/2018, 10:45:44, lisa13 said:

Provided you have some evidence the letter was delivered on time (for example, by sending in pro einschreiben einwurf) I don't think you have a lot to worry about.  

That's exactly what I had in mind.  I just wasn't sure about the legality of turning in a letter of resignation while on vacation.  

I'm pretty sure that it is legal and shouldn't be an issue.  

If you are on holiday but still at home then you can still go into the office and hand it in.  Else you can sent it by records/tracked mail.  Then you will also have the date it was received and signature of the person who received it.

Also, you could follow up (or do this primarily) from your email account.  I don't know if you can get access to your work email when you are on holiday, but if you can this this is also an option.  Or you can do the first suggestion and follow up with an email on the day you expect the letter to arrive.

8 hours ago, Santitas said:

That's exactly what I had in mind.  I just wasn't sure about the legality of turning in a letter of resignation while on vacation.  

as far as I know it's not a factor at all.  You can check the BGBs if you're really worried

Ok, thanks guys! Hopefully it won’t come down to that, and I’ll get the “rechtsverbindliche Zusage” before I leave for vacation and then quit.