Surviving the in-laws?

11 posts in this topic

When the clowns used to visit me in England, I'd bore them to death talking about some obscure DIY project for a while, and b@gger off to the garage to listen to the radio and drink homemade wine. That solved the problem on so many fronts (for me at least...not so much for my wife).

Now that they are within an hour's drive, I just take the dog for lots of long walks if ever they turn up (...and if the dog is too tired, I've got a decent DIY project involving some new drainage to sort an area of damp, which I'll tell them about if they threaten to stay to long). 

3 hours ago, dstanners said:

When the clowns used to visit me in England, I'd bore them to death talking about some obscure DIY project for a while, and b@gger off to the garage to listen to the radio and drink homemade wine. That solved the problem on so many fronts (for me at least...not so much for my wife).

Now that they are within an hour's drive, I just take the dog for lots of long walks if ever they turn up (...and if the dog is too tired, I've got a decent DIY project involving some new drainage to sort an area of damp, which I'll tell them about if they threaten to stay to long). 

waiting for your in-law's reply...I'm betting the feeling in mutual.

Failsafe: An hour before eat a jar of pickled onions. Then while there, eat the usual coffee cake on top. Boom! 

No naked flames.

Some folks like a long chat indoors or around a grill. Not me and not my father either. He used to recruit his FIL to help with home projects when he came to stay. To escape the long yarns told by the older women and burn up some of the extra food they'd consumed that the ladies had placed on that groaning table. In the freedom beyond the dining  room, they painted the house, dug in the vegetable garden, fixed a fence, sharpend knives and the lawn mower blade, changed oil in the car, washed the car, etc. The projects were kind of spontaneous but FIL was a retired farm hand who thrived on doing projects outside and got restless when he had to sit cooped up at a table indoors. 

'say hi and fly' works well with my own in-laws, as we see one another daily, in passing, as next door neighbors. For b-days and holidays, when the in-laws are up to celebrating, we spend 1-2 hours around eachother, enjoy the food and coffee and help with the cleaning up.

36 minutes ago, jeremytwo said:

Failsafe: An hour before eat a jar of pickled onions. Then while there, eat the usual coffee cake on top. Boom! 

No naked flames.

Why not whip up a batch of Zwieblekuchen and share it around? :) Potent with 800 g. onions in there. 

47 minutes ago, jeremytwo said:

No naked flames.

Boom! indeed!

29 minutes ago, cybil said:

Some folks like a long chat indoors or around a grill. Not me and not my father either. He used to recruit his FIL to help with home projects ...

One issue for me is there's no FIL. It's a hen night bonanza.

I'm thinking hi and fly from now on...

6 hours ago, AnswerToLife42 said:

Divorce? Also solves possible problems with wife/husband.

:D the assumption here is that the minimum is a little over zero (as if divorce was an easy option...!!!!!)

4 hours ago, dstanners said:

When the clowns used to visit me in England, I'd bore them to death ...

I think I could manage this easily. Issue is us going to see them...