Renting out apartment in Berlin

3 posts in this topic

We have owned our studio apartment in Berlin for 6 years and it is like our second home. We are considering renting it out on airbnb for short lets to help with rising costs in relation to the building management. Can anyone advise how easy it is to gain a permit for short term lets from the authorities. Secondly can anyone recommend a good and well priced property management company that can deal with key hand over and cleaning? Finally can anyone advise about how to declare rental income for tax as we live in the uk.

1 hour ago, Nhojllah said:

We are considering renting it out on airbnb for short lets to help with rising costs in relation to the building management. Can anyone advise how easy it is to gain a permit for short term lets from the authorities.

No personal experience so can't say how easy it is or not, but last month I looked this up to respond to a similar enquiry from another TTer.

The Berlin Senat recently passed the Zweckentfremdungsverbot von Wohnraum (Ban on the misuse of living space) law. One of the main aspects of the ban was to reduce or limit the number of dwellings being primarily let to tourists at a time when residents are finding housing to be in short supply.

The law doesn't restrict the subletting of up to 49% of the area of a dwelling but it limits the subletting of a whole dwelling to a maximum of 90 days per annum.

Also, if you intend to advertise on an Internet platform (and the city quote AirBnB and Wimdu as examples) you would need to apply first at the Wohnamt of your Bezirksamt for a permit  (Genehmigung) and a Registriernummer. All Berlin AirBnB ads should include this Registriernummer in the text. The city claim to be actively controlling this and may issue fines to offenders.

To apply for a permit and registration number you need your ID, (for rented dwellings your Mietvertrag), and a Genehmigungsgebühr von 225 Euro!!!

That law also introduced an Übernachtungssteuer (City Visitors Overnight Tax). As far as I can determine (without downloading xxx PDFs I've no wish to read) there may be stages at which this tax, or the amount, first applies. You can find that out for yourself by reading the relevant info (some of which is actually in English -- Yaay!) from the Senat Finanzverwaltung Übernachtungsteuer (City Tax)

Source info: Fragen und Antworten zum Zweckentfremdungsverbot von Wohnraum / Land Berlin FAQs

NB: do be aware that the penalties for non-compliance are fairly high.

FYI: If you have need of it you may find www.deepL.com provides a swifter, smoother and generally better machine translation of web page text than www.translate-google.com does.

Secondly can anyone recommend a good and well priced property management company that can deal with key hand over and cleaning?

As a non-Berliner I can't help you with your property management company either, although I'm inclined to think that you might have a better chance of finding such by using the right key words (e.g. Ferienwohnung+reinigung+übergabe+Berlin+Bezirk) in German and searching via www.google.DE not www.google.com

Finally can anyone advise about how to declare rental income for tax as we live in the uk.

This is not my metier but it is a question which comes up about once a week on the TT Finance forum where, if you look, you will find it having been answered in detail several times in the last 3 months. Look out for posts by @PandaMunich who knows all about most DTA arrangements.

Alternatively you can look up the UK-Germany Treaty on the German govt site Federal Ministry of Finance - Double Taxation  or on the EU site Treaties for the avoidance of double taxation concluded by Member States - European Commission or on the UK Gov site http://www.hmrc.gov.uk

HTH

2B

Thank you 2B_orNot2B this is really useful information

23 hours ago, 2B_orNot2B said:

No personal experience so can't say how easy it is or not, but last month I looked this up to respond to a similar enquiry from another TTer.

The Berlin Senat recently passed the Zweckentfremdungsverbot von Wohnraum (Ban on the misuse of living space) law. One of the main aspects of the ban was to reduce or limit the number of dwellings being primarily let to tourists at a time when residents are finding housing to be in short supply.

The law doesn't restrict the subletting of up to 49% of the area of a dwelling but it limits the subletting of a whole dwelling to a maximum of 90 days per annum.

Also, if you intend to advertise on an Internet platform (and the city quote AirBnB and Wimdu as examples) you would need to apply first at the Wohnamt of your Bezirksamt for a permit  (Genehmigung) and a Registriernummer. All Berlin AirBnB ads should include this Registriernummer in the text. The city claim to be actively controlling this and may issue fines to offenders.

To apply for a permit and registration number you need your ID, (for rented dwellings your Mietvertrag), and a Genehmigungsgebühr von 225 Euro!!!

That law also introduced an Übernachtungssteuer (City Visitors Overnight Tax). As far as I can determine (without downloading xxx PDFs I've no wish to read) there may be stages at which this tax, or the amount, first applies. You can find that out for yourself by reading the relevant info (some of which is actually in English -- Yaay!) from the Senat Finanzverwaltung Übernachtungsteuer (City Tax)

Source info: Fragen und Antworten zum Zweckentfremdungsverbot von Wohnraum / Land Berlin FAQs

NB: do be aware that the penalties for non-compliance are fairly high.

FYI: If you have need of it you may find www.deepL.com provides a swifter, smoother and generally better machine translation of web page text than www.translate-google.com does.

As a non-Berliner I can't help you with your property management company either, although I'm inclined to think that you might have a better chance of finding such by using the right key words (e.g. Ferienwohnung+reinigung+übergabe+Berlin+Bezirk) in German and searching via www.google.DE not www.google.com

This is not my metier but it is a question which comes up about once a week on the TT Finance forum where, if you look, you will find it having been answered in detail several times in the last 3 months. Look out for posts by @PandaMunich who knows all about most DTA arrangements.

Alternatively you can look up the UK-Germany Treaty on the German govt site Federal Ministry of Finance - Double Taxation  or on the EU site Treaties for the avoidance of double taxation concluded by Member States - European Commission or on the UK Gov site http://www.hmrc.gov.uk

HTH

2B