English / British Isles history books for primary age kids?

8 posts in this topic

I'm not talking about "Our Island Story" , anyone got any recommendations for short, mainly factual books on English history or the history of the British Isles in general to give my primary age kids an idea of the very mixed bag that is our English / UK / British / [some combination of these] heritage?

Ideally cheap, with pictures and available through amazon.de ?

If you want something structured and 'educational' then I don't have any suggestions. If you want something fun with lots of good general background knowledge the horrible histories series is great.

(Hope that link works, but if not it's just a search on amazon.de)

2 minutes ago, pappnase said:

If you want something structured and 'educational' then I don't have any suggestions. If you want something fun with lots of good general background knowledge the horrible histories series is great.

(Hope that link works, but if not it's just a search on amazon.de)

yeah, that's the kind of thing.

I was thinking even more basic an introduction though! More like Ladybird length!

Check Amazon UK- British history for children. They have a wide selection for all ages.

A good family history book- The Usborne history of British Isles.

As they get older- Simon Schama's books and TV series are excellent.

2 hours ago, sos-the-rope said:

I'm not talking about "Our Island Story" , anyone got any recommendations for short, mainly factual books on English history or the history of the British Isles in general to give my primary age kids an idea of the very mixed bag that is our English / UK / British / [some combination of these] heritage?

Ideally cheap, with pictures and available through amazon.de ?

Not looked to see if available through .de, we have got 'See Inside London' (Usborne) which is a potted history for kids of erm, London. Recommended.

3 hours ago, sos-the-rope said:

I was thinking even more basic an introduction though! More like Ladybird length!

https://www.amazon.de/Ladybird-Histories-British-History-Book/dp/1409308723

Well, literally that. And on Amazon.de. A tenner for a ladybird book seems a bit rippy-offy, though.

We have some which I bought once in a panic that my kids would know all about the 30 years war and nothing about the wars of the roses. I went for good authors, like Geraldine McCaughrean and 'Great Stories from British History' which is nice.

Similar to Horrible Histories, Sir Tony Robinson has a few books that are quite fun (try “Kings and Queens” or “Worst Children’s Jobs In History”). 

Marcia Williams is another author who might fit the bill. Her books are a little more focused but there are some like King Arthur.

I also think it’s great to use historical fiction to build conversation around these topics. Of course, there’s a dearth of children’s books set in WW2, and many others might be more suitable for 10 or 12+. If you go to the younger end, Steve Antony’s series starting with “The Queen’s Hat” is a whirlwind tour of London, Great Britain, and the Commonwealth. There isn’t anything informative in them, but they highlight a lot of places that would be great starting points for further research. These books are for age 4+, but particularly fun as you’re supposed to spot a few different things on each page. 

I work in children's books so will continue to have a think and let you know if I remember any other good ones. 

17 hours ago, kiplette said:

https://www.amazon.de/Ladybird-Histories-British-History-Book/dp/1409308723

Well, literally that. And on Amazon.de. A tenner for a ladybird book seems a bit rippy-offy, though.

We have some which I bought once in a panic that my kids would know all about the 30 years war and nothing about the wars of the roses. I went for good authors, like Geraldine McCaughrean and 'Great Stories from British History' which is nice.

It doesn't look like a typical LB book, more of an older kids' read. Good find! It's up for less then a 10 too!