Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

West Highland Way

9 posts in this topic

Flew out on 27 June and returned on 6 July.  A very long trek from Glasgow (Milngavie) to Fort William through some of the most incredible landscape the world has to offer.  It is listed as 154km, but I ended up at 168 due to some necessary detours such as Fort Dun Deardial and down to Crianlairch (only to go back up and continue on).

Along the way, I met some wonderful people most of whom were either Scots or German.  A few English and few Americans.  Oddly, one one couple from Estonia and a young group from France.  No Asians, no one from the Middle East, Africa, Australia or other European countries...that I met or heard. 

If you've never done, I highly recommend it.  If you are tough, carry your backpack up Conich Hill and the Devil's Staircase and the other smaller but still tough climbs and of course the narrow paths along Loch Lomond.  Otherwise there is baggage services. 

The midges were bad this year, but the bloody horse flies were exceptionally nasty!  I am sunburned and still have all the red marks from those little nasty biters all over my legs and arms.  Smidge spray helps but just.

Met someone in town today who heard I was on holiday the last ten days.  He asked if I was in Mallorca.  No, I replied.  The Canary Islands?  No.  Scotland!  But you're so tanned he said! :lol:

I do enjoy camping, but this was rougher than I am used and the last day of 30km knackered me. 

I would do it again.  Tomorrow!

Beautiful area! I  did nearly the same route many years ago with my toddler and my mother..on a bus.    Average age of our threesome:  42.  We  were fairly crabby and often in tears. All of us.  Hope that helps  take the sting out of  those  horse fly and mosquitos  bites.  And yes, I too, would do it again in a minute.

Did I  mention my mother singing nonstop (as she was wont to do)  all the old  Scottish songs she had learned from her mother : a tune, it seemed, for every brae 'an burr... a wonder we weren't thrown off the bus (eventhough she did a lovely voice.) 

etd

On a Bus?  I'm 54 and did it on foot with a 15kg Backpack sleeping in a one-man tent with an isomatte...not exactly the same, but with a toddler, no alternative than a bus.  Can't see a toddler doing Conich Hill. :lol:

There is a baggage service called...urgh!...  Baggage Freedom... yes, sadly Braveheart...  the driver wears a type of kilt.  A group of ladies fell for him and rode the route in his bus calling it, West Highland Greg!  'You may take our bags, but you will never take our... Freedom'.  Sad indeed!

God's own country, for sure (oh, and it's Crianlarich :) )  And yes, of all things I miss from home, isnae the Scottish midge

Just now, BayrischDude said:

@robinson100, here is a link to the photos.  Never done this before so I hope it works.  There are most like duplicates.  Enjoy!

Thanks Dude, but it says "welcome to your website, unfortunately, there is nothing to see".

Okay, so it's Scotland by night, is it? :D