Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

We're all going on a summer holliday!

16 posts in this topic

So, Holliday season is upon us... 

My recent trip to the UK was "Hell" !!!    

90 minutes delay around Brussels airport... 

Hours delay shortly before Dunkirk... then delays due to Birth works in Dover port!

So.. Alway look to a different route than that of your navi ...   

My advice if you are heading by car to Blighty...

Shortly before liege, follow the signs to Antwerp... Then once past the brussels center signs... follow signs for Dunkirk Calais etc...

Then 10 KM before Dunkirk... take the coast road and stay on it to Calais!

Once in the UK... Turn around and come back because every motorway is screwed !

So.. Post your "Get arounds" here..

#whadafuckingnightmaretrip

A note mainly to all the Dutch people, mostly with their caravans, who are shortly to sit queueing once again for hours heading south towards the Alps on the Bavarian Autobahns:

Please continue to do so and don't use the comparatively free back-roads which get you there quicker as I'll possibly be using them to get out for a few day trips and don't want to encounter you lot.

Thanks in advance,

Malty.

Sounds like Whingers corner... Go on holiday and chill out :-)

Stuck in a long traffic jam a few years ago, and watched a truck driver cook  egg and bacon on a hot plate built into area below his cab! 

Btw- new spelling of holiday ??!!

3 hours ago, SpiderPig said:

So, Holliday season is upon us... 

My recent trip to the UK was "Hell" !!!    

90 minutes delay around Brussels airport... 

Hours delay shortly before Dunkirk... then delays due to Birth works in Dover port!

So.. Alway look to a different route than that of your navi ...   

My advice if you are heading by car to Blighty...

Shortly before liege, follow the signs to Antwerp... Then once past the brussels center signs... follow signs for Dunkirk Calais etc...

We once had the same issue around Brussels a few years ago, also 90 minutes delay, ever since I have gone another way, this is the route we take:

Aachen -> Liege -> Namur -> Charleroi -> Mons -> Lille -> Dunkirk -> Calais.

It is a little busy around Lille but normally still flowing around 60->80km/h, otherwise traffic is normally good.  In theory this route is 20-> 30 minutes longer than via Brussels.  But the chances of problems is much less.  The road from Lille -> Dunkirk was upgraded a couple of years ago, it used to be really bad, and although this section is not all Autobah /autoroute it is all dual carriageway so you can still cruise along at a high speed.

I have this now programmed in my SatNav and use it every time.  

Last time we went to the Uk we took the overnight ferry from Hook of Holland to Harwich. Not very useful if you need to go to the southwest but suited us.

Advantages:

Cabin overnight, arrived in the UK at around 7 am.

Dual carriageway virtually all the way to the M11, south for London, north for the Midlands and north.

Avoid Calais and Dunkirk plus the associated problems with illegal immigrants.

Harwich is small so quickly out of the port.

Cost of the cabin isn't particuarly expensive but be advised to eat before you get on the ferry - take the piss pricing.

And the last time you went to the UK you didnt bring back obscene amounts of Bacon, Sausage; Vimto,Ribena.. Pork Scratchings.. propper Cheddar cheese and Jacobs cream crackers... Sausage rolls etc etc!!!

When driving to the UK.. only MY farts were recycled and not the whole cabins!!   :ph34r:

@ DJ...   Excellent advice, Will look at that route in future..

5 hours ago, Malt-Teaser said:

Last time I went to the UK I flew.

Me (us) too.  Flight to Manchester, hire car to visit aged aunt in St. Helens & then drive to Lake District (Keswick).  That was 2012.

We'd planned (booked) something similar for April this year but due to our daughter's Kiefer-Op & then second stay in hostpital we had to cancel whole thing.

Anyhow - Its Ibiza for two weeks in September.

SP, no I don't wish to bring back any of those things. I find Mik's bacon as good if not better than anything I can buy in UK supermarkets. I prefer my sossidges to have greater meat content than bread or rusk and I don't drink those sugary liquids thanks to diabetes.

As for cheese; on the occasions I buy it I prefer the mildly smelly Alm / Alpine ones available from good cheese counters here.

I've always professed not to be a typical expat.

But I hear what you're saying about your farts (best kept to yourself ;))

How about flying in an Airplane? Saves all the nonsense of driving. Or taking the Eurostar through the chunnel? I even fly within Germany. Easier quicker and less stress.

All the driving holidays I had were also a nightmare. I like booking over expedia. They do pretty good offers and the flights can be reasonable too. I try to travel only with hand luggage if possible. Makes it even quicker as there is no need to check in luggage. You can check in and get your boarding card online too which is good.

I still get a kick out of driving down to Italy for my holidays.

Whilst I always stick to the main motorways, I find that having a Video Maut for the Brenner Pass can bring some saving in terms of waiting at the toll booths.

Apparently you can also get a video Vignette now too - saves stopping en route to purchase one!

I'm off on a railway tour to Corsica in September, I'll be flying down to Nice to join the rest of the group, who're arriving from the UK (hopefully) :)

On 8/10/2018, 11:15:58, blic said:

Off to Belek in Turkey soon; then London in September

Did you deliberately chose places where the currency has suddenly dived?  If not, then you sure do have good timing!