Buying first car up to 7000€

37 posts in this topic

I've always thought that the less mileage the better.

But I'm a girl so what do I know? B)

Sounds like a good deal to me. Have it inspected.

11 minutes ago, engelchen said:

Are there any downsides to buying an older car that doesn't hasn't been driven so much?

Other than the smell of that little old lady from pasadena? :ph34r:

It depends on how it was driven. Similar to the way you will be driving it or has it been sitting for a while?

Typical things to look for are dry, cracked belts. The brakes and the fluids should all be replaced, if it was sitting for any longer periods. The battery may also need to be replaced. 

PS: as FF suggested, getting it inspected is always a good idea. 

Cars should be driven. 26000km in 14 years means less than 2000km per year.

If the car was driven 20 times 100km, that would be ok, but only short stretches without the motor to reach operating temperature could be a risk.

After 14 years rubber and plastics can get hard.

If you should buy the car, check the brakes (are disks and pads ok), give it to a workshop to replace all liquids and drive to the Baltic Sea.

Anyhow, keep in mind, the car is 14 years old. Expect it to break down or expensive repairs.

No risk, no fun.

(I only had old used cars. Currently a 20 year old Alfa Romeo and a 10 year old Maserati)

1 hour ago, engelchen said:

Are they reliable?

A friend of a colleague

maybe, ask that person?  apparently, it's lasted 14 years.

There are so many threads on buying used cars (and I think I've read all of them by now) that I didn't want to start another.

I'm looking for a used car and have requirements similar to the OP, i.e. a reliable small automatic. I haven't yet decided if I want to drive every day to work (and it is not that far), however, I'll probably do about 150 km/week during the summer. I've no plans on driving it any further than the Ostsee. Furthermore, since this will be my first car in Germany I am looking for something with a relatively low PS because it seems to be the most important factor influencing the cost of insurance.

A friend of a colleague’s is selling a 2005 Honda Jazz that hasn't been driven much (about 26,000 km) for 3,000€. From what I can tell it seems to be about the going rate for the car (which surprised me). Does anyone have any experience with an older Honda Jazz? Are they reliable? Are there any downsides to buying an older car that doesn't hasn't been driven so much?

I have one 1200cc. 90ps. Petrol. Bought at 50k km when it was 5 years old in 2015. I will never sell that car. Avg litre per 100km is 7.8 ride is only within city short distances.

In my opinion jazz is a very good vehicle for non autobahn drives. In autobahn it's a bit insufficient in my opinion

We bought a Hyundai i10 last September and have been very happy with it. It was a little

more than you want to pay, but the car is from 2016 and had only 9,000 km on it. We got it for just under 10,000€. You could probably find an older model at a lower price. 

On 6.7.2018, 15:47:43, International Student said:

In the next months, I will be buying my first car. I am not too interested in cars so I don't know what to look for in a car. However, there are requirements that must be fulfilled:

1.) It must be a second hand car.

2.) Automatic gear transmission is a must.

3.) I cannot spend more than 7000€.

4.) I am looking for a brand which does not have constant problems and does not have huge repair costs. So, the maintenance costs must be as low as possible :)

5.) The used fuel must be gasoline.

First registration, mileage etc. should not be too relevant but I am not sure.

I welcome ANY recommendation or suggestion from you! :) Thank you in advance!

My recommendations is to get a proper AC and, if possible, heated sits, for the winter.

Also get ABS and ESP on top of your list, unless you like driving sideways in the ice in January.

I would also recommend heated seats and a heated steering wheel. Made a huge difference on those winter mornings! 

The only thing missing on our car that I would’ve liked is cruise control for those longer drives. 

The other thing great about the Hyundai i10 is the space. Both my husband and I are tall and wanted to be able to seat four adults comfortably (for visiting family and whatnot),

and it’s great for that. 

15 hours ago, engelchen said:

There are so many threads on buying used cars (and I think I've read all of them by now) that I didn't want to start another.

I'm looking for a used car and have requirements similar to the OP, i.e. a reliable small automatic. I haven't yet decided if I want to drive every day to work (and it is not that far), however, I'll probably do about 150 km/week during the summer. I've no plans on driving it any further than the Ostsee. Furthermore, since this will be my first car in Germany I am looking for something with a relatively low PS because it seems to be the most important factor influencing the cost of insurance.

A friend of a colleague’s is selling a 2005 Honda Jazz that hasn't been driven much (about 26,000 km) for 3,000€. From what I can tell it seems to be about the going rate for the car (which surprised me). Does anyone have any experience with an older Honda Jazz? Are they reliable? Are there any downsides to buying an older car that doesn't hasn't been driven so much?

The most valuable thing in an old cheap car is the HU (formerly known as TUeV).   Because in an old car a new HU is anything from 100 to 2000 EUR.  So it a 3000 EUR car a new HU that goes over 1000 EUR you would think twice if you want to do it.

You can take the car to a Dekra and ask for a check and they will tell you how the general status of the car is.  I think it costs something around 50-100 EUR.  Or you can take it to a garage.

26K KM in 14 years is low, it was probably driven only short distances which is not that good.   But 3000 EUR is still a good price, the Jazz is a nice smallish car.

8 hours ago, Santitas said:

I would also recommend heated seats and a heated steering wheel. Made a huge difference on those winter mornings! 

The only thing missing on our car that I would’ve liked is cruise control for those longer drives. 

Heated seats are for wimps! After 5 mins the seat is warm using bio heat. I miss a ventilated seat in summer. AC is running, but my back is wet.

A cruise control for such a small car? Pedal to the metal! A heavy stone will do.

Here is an example of a guy who bought a somewhat older, somewhat large car for 4000£

and had a lot of fun with it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIdNcbsgOiM

2 hours ago, AnswerToLife42 said:

Heated seats are for wimps! After 5 mins the seat is warm using bio heat. I miss a ventilated seat in summer. AC is running, but my back is wet.

A cruise control for such a small car? Pedal to the metal! A heavy stone will do.

Here is an example of a guy who bought a somewhat older, somewhat large car for 4000£

and had a lot of fun with it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIdNcbsgOiM

Haha, we actually didn’t look for cars with heated seats, but this one happened to come with it, and I'm not complaining!  I think cruise control is one of those things that once you’ve had it, it’s hard to go back.

First thank you everyone for your advice and comments. :)

I went with a colleague who knows something about cars for a test drive yesterday. The car is very well maintained and has probably not left the Landkreis that often. The original owner was the woman's husband who passed away and now the current owner can't see well enough to drive (I didn't actually even meet her).

18 hours ago, AnswerToLife42 said:

Cars should be driven. 26000km in 14 years means less than 2000km per year.

If the car was driven 20 times 100km, that would be ok, but only short stretches without the motor to reach operating temperature could be a risk.

After 14 years rubber and plastics can get hard

Thank you! That was actually the type of info I was looking for. I've been asking everyone I know if there if I should have any concerns about a car that has too little mileage. According to my colleague, the motor sounds find.

The HU/TüV was done just a few weeks ago and it passed with only minor issues that have since been corrected (i.e. one light wasn't working and the Sicherheitsweste was missing).

18 hours ago, Santitas said:

The other thing great about the Hyundai i10 is the space. Both my husband and I are tall

Then your car is probably not a good option for me. I'm very short and I'm more concerned about being to comfortably reach the pedals than the comfort of my guests. :ph34r:

BTW, I find the whole discussion about heated seats and mirrors to be rather funny since it never seems to get that cold here (anyone who disagrees with me just needs to experience a proper Canadian winter to know the difference). I know the car has heated side mirrors, but I'm not sure about the rest.

Have you also considered how frequently you will run the car in the future when considering a previously little run car.

Than can be a drag in Berlin if you need to use pubic transport for work purposes. I ended up driving to work once a week to keep things ticking over even though it took much longer.

BTW, I find the whole discussion about heated seats and mirrors to be rather funny since it never seems to get that cold here (anyone who disagrees with me just needs to experience a proper Canadian winter to know the difference). I know the car has heated side mirrors, but I'm not sure about the rest.

I grew up in the northeast of the US, so I’ve got a bit of an idea of just how cold/snowy things can get. Still wasn’t complaining about my heating seats at 6 am on the way to work in December/January 😁😉

I had an old Honda Civic and it held up really well.  I bought it when it was 10 yrs. old and had to scrap it at age 18, not because it broke down but because it had a very long list of minor issues to get through the TÜV and it was unfortunately not worth the amount of money for such an old car.

I now have a Dacia Sandero.  It's pretty basic, automatic, ac but no heated seats or ventilated, no parking sensors, cameras or anything like that.  It has a radio and can play from a USB stick.  It has bluetooth that connects to my phone.  The only think I miss on it would be cruise control.  Although if I had that, I'd probably miss parking sensors and cameras.  The more tech you have, the more you want.  A friend of mine makes a point of wanting nothing techie in his cars.  He doesn't even want ac.  He feels it takes away from the experience of hot summer days. :rolleyes:

I had a honda jazz for 12 years 1.2L . The 1st 3 years I got it serviced at the dealers and after that I did it every 2 years at a local workshop. It had a 140000km on it when I sold it to a friend.It never ever broke down I changed the battery myself a couple of times. It had 2 recalls I think one of the front headlights  electrics and another for the airbag which are carried out by Honda for free at a local dealer. Its got  a chain so no cam belt expence, tyre wear is also excellent. I built 2 houses in the time I had it, it can fit an amazing amount of stuff in it with the rear seats layed flat u can also lift them up. I did mosty short trips 1km to kindergarten eachway and 7km to work. Fuel efficiency is excellent around 6.5 in town. One time I drove 340km using country rounds it averaged 4.4 l per 100km cost me 19 euro to refill when I got there. I also had 2 small kids everything fitted  pram etc and plenty of rear leg room.

Its a excellent reliable car I bought another Honda when I sold it.