Buying first car up to 7000€

37 posts in this topic

In the next months, I will be buying my first car. I am not too interested in cars so I don't know what to look for in a car. However, there are requirements that must be fulfilled:

1.) It must be a second hand car.

2.) Automatic gear transmission is a must.

3.) I cannot spend more than 7000€.

4.) I am looking for a brand which does not have constant problems and does not have huge repair costs. So, the maintenance costs must be as low as possible :)

5.) The used fuel must be gasoline.

First registration, mileage etc. should not be too relevant but I am not sure.

I welcome ANY recommendation or suggestion from you! :) Thank you in advance!

This may seem a silly question, but it would be good to know just what you want to use it for?

Around town?

Daily usage?

Weekends / longer trips?

How many people / seats?

How much luggage storage?

It's your first car ... how long have you had a licence?

I'm guessing it probably needs to be cheap-ish on insurance?

Personally I like to make my own decisions when it comes to cars. I'm not one for buying something because someone else likes it so why not have a look around various dealers, organise a few test drives and see what takes your fancy, then maybe we can help further.

Generally you should look to buy as new as you can afford, preferably from a main dealer for a little more security and warranty.

The lower the mileage (sorry kilometre-age) the better ... usually.

Get one with a full service history.

One that's had it's last service and not in need of it, unless the dealer agrees to complete it before sale.

Check that the cam belt (Zahnriemen) has been punctually changed and not in need of replacement now. Must be done each 60,000km usually.

Check tyre wear.

When you go to look at anything, before buying take someone who knows what to look for.

Hope this helps.

If you know somebody who knows a lot about cars and agrees to help you in your purchase, i would advise you to buy from a private owner, because delaers sell it for at least 1000€ more for the same car in this price range than private owners. If the car is accident free and from the first owner, that will also increase the price, so a car with small accidents that would not have an effect on the dynamics of the car is preferable. If the maintanence history is kept (scheckheftgepflegt), up to 150.000 km is okay.

I *had* to get a car for work and didn't want to spend a lot...I ended up getting a VW Up as even new, they're cheap as hell.  I myself bought a Jahreswagen, if I recall it was around 10k with less than 10k km on it. Alternate models are the Mii and the Citigo.  Same car, but with cheaper trim/finish and pricing.

Yeah, it's very small, but if you are usually traveling alone or with a single passenger it's quite comfortable - it feels like a "real" car instead of a little shit box.  Even for longer drives it remains comfy, though it tops out at 160-170 km/h so if you're a speed demon you will be disappointed.  I usually drive as fast as it will go and it shows no ill effect.  It's 5 years old now and I have not had a single problem with it, and basic maintenance is fairly inexpensive.  Tax is - I kid you not - 20 euros a year, and insurance (even full cover) is also cheap since it's a tiny and inexpensive car.  

Unfortunately I don't know if they make them with an automatic transmission.  Honestly, you should get past this limitation ASAP and learn to drive a manual transmission anyway as automatics are still not the norm.  

No it's not fancy.  No it's not sexy.  But it was inexpensive and has been very reliable thus far.  I don't regret buying it.  

I'm guessing you could find one a couple of years old within your budget - if you don't need a large car, it might work well for you.

2 hours ago, International Student said:

In the next months, I will be buying my first car. I am not too interested in cars so I don't know what to look for in a car. However, there are requirements that must be fulfilled:

1.) It must be a second hand car.

2.) Automatic gear transmission is a must.

3.) I cannot spend more than 7000€.

4.) I am looking for a brand which does not have constant problems and does not have huge repair costs. So, the maintenance costs must be as low as possible :)

5.) The used fuel must be gasoline.

First registration, mileage etc. should not be too relevant but I am not sure.

I welcome ANY recommendation or suggestion from you! :) Thank you in advance!

Automatic Cars, 2nd Hand, Gasoline, after 2010, less than 100.000KM, Between 3000-7000,excluding Vans, Cabrios,etc. within 50Km of Hamburg

You have about 80-100 options. You can play with the criteria and decide.

My work car is a Polo, given to me, other wise i would have picked a Golf and I drive ca 250 km a day and i would say it is perfect. It fills in with 50-63 eu depends on the benzin price of course 😂 And I drive during the week for work average 1,100 km. I tank once a week. 

Most car make and model are very realiable these days, unless they are very old etc. So saying "I drive car X and you know what, it's actually very reliable" does not really say much.

If 7000 eur is the upper limit of course it's got to be 2nd hand.

Just try a few and chose one. TThere is no magic, no need to waste ages in searching. Take a mate with you, an expert (mind you, most people who tell you are expert are probably not).

From a dealer you should be safer, less risks, that's why you pay more.

On 7/6/2018, 4:03:30, Malt-Teaser said:

This may seem a silly question, but it would be good to know just what you want to use it for?

Around town?

Daily usage?

Weekends / longer trips?

How many people / seats?

How much luggage storage?

Thank you very much. here are some more information:

I will use it drive from one city to another: probably from Göttingen to another city. This means around 100 km a day. No longer trips. Only one person will use it. Luggage storage doesn't matter as I will use it rarely.

1 hour ago, International Student said:

I will use it drive from one city to another: probably from Göttingen to another city. This means around 100 km a day. No longer trips. Only one person will use it. Luggage storage doesn't matter as I will use it rarely.

B Class diesel cars look to be the best fitting to your needs. 2000 km/month, single user, mostly highway drive. You can consider Polo, Fiesta, Corsa, Fabia diesel cars produced between 2010-2014 with less than 150.000 km. Scheckheftgepflecht. 

Thanks for clarifying that.

I asked because it would be good to narrow choices down ... mother-wagon or actual saloon / hatchback. In your case I'd say saloon or hatchback.

As a first car insurance will play a large role so always keep this in the back of your mind.

Do as I mentioned earlier; look at a few dealers, take some test drives and see what your own preference is. Try the usual VW, Skoda, Seat, Opel, Ford but also consider the Japanese manufacturers as they are usually very reliable cars.

I´d suggest you reconsider the "must use gasoline" criterion. If you drive a lot having a car running on LPG ("Autogas") is a good idea as it´s much cheaper than gasoline (currently about half the cost). Plus it´s better for the environment.

8 minutes ago, jeba said:

I´d suggest you reconsider the "must use gasoline" criterion. If you drive a lot having a car running on LPG ("Autogas") is a good idea as it´s much cheaper than gasoline (currently about half the cost). Plus it´s better for the environment.

Great tip, Jeba, and being good for the environment is a real plus, but I wonder about availability of LPG cars in the price class the OP is looking for?

On a fire brigade training course, I once saw a video of an LPG bus that had a slight leak - it became a fireball within seconds!

Maybe also of interest in this context is that the tax advantage for LPG will be extended beyond the end of this year. Not fully though but the tax will increase by only 3,1 cent. So it will still be much cheaper than gasoline or diesel. I had converted my Toyota Picnic when it had a mileage of 220,000 km already and my son is still driving it. The current mileage is more than 300,000 km. So the conversion (cost about € 2000.-) has more than paid for itself even for such an old car (current cost of LPG around €0,6/l as opposed to €1,4 for gasoline).

I'm curious @jeba, LPG is way cheaper, but have you noticed an increase in litres used per 100 km from when the car was driving on gasoline?  I was under the impression that a car will go a shorter distance on the same volume of fuel on LPG as with gasoline, but even still the cost savings is worthwhile. 

Also general comment about used cars - condition is more important than year or mileage.  An older, high mileage car can be a real steal if it has been looked after.  You can find great cars for around 2000 Euros, and the cost savings in the purchase price can offset years of potential higher fuel usage.

And why the fear of a manual transmission?  It is a skill that requires learning, sure, but rent a car for a weekend and practice on it.  You should be able to get the hang of it within a few hours.  Manuals are better on fuel, more robust, and your choice is just greatly expanded.  Plus, outside of stop and go traffic, they are more fun to drive than automatics.

2 hours ago, kapokanadensis said:

I'm curious @jeba, LPG is way cheaper, but have you noticed an increase in litres used per 100 km from when the car was driving on gasoline?  I was under the impression that a car will go a shorter distance on the same volume of fuel on LPG as with gasoline, but even still the cost savings is worthwhile.

My Toyota needed about 10% more LPG than it needed gasoline. Given that the cost of LPG is less than half....

First of all, there's no sure way to buy a used car (or a new car, for that matter).  It's a machine and machine wear out because of use (mileage) or misuse (neglected repairs, oil changes).

Generally, a low mileage car has seen less wear and therefore is worth more than the same car with high mileage.

To minimize your costs, consider repair costs.  The parts to repair a high end car cost more than the part with the same function in a mid-range car.  e.g. putting a replacement part in a Mercedes is more expensive than that same part in a Ford.

I don't know about the EU, but in the States all of the car rental agencies sell off their cars.  They have been maintained, might have higher mileage and maybe higher cost than your budget.  Just keep it in mind.

The best education is experience: line up several appointments, go drive some cars and test whether they meet their descriptions.  Just keep looking until you find one you can't refuse.  Even then, shit happens that even the seller couldn't predict.   If it's a dealer, as with all contracts, make sure you really read AND understand the fine print; otherwise you'll be back on TT with "this car dealer just lied to me...".

7 hours ago, kapokanadensis said:

And why the fear of a manual transmission?

If somebody learned and took their driving test in an automatic car, I believe that they are not permitted to drive a manual car. Maybe this is the reason for the OP wanting an automatic...

There are so many threads on buying used cars (and I think I've read all of them by now) that I didn't want to start another.

I'm looking for a used car and have requirements similar to the OP, i.e. a reliable small automatic. I haven't yet decided if I want to drive every day to work (and it is not that far), however, I'll probably do about 150 km/week during the summer. I've no plans on driving it any further than the Ostsee. Furthermore, since this will be my first car in Germany I am looking for something with a relatively low PS because it seems to be the most important factor influencing the cost of insurance.

A friend of a colleague’s is selling a 2005 Honda Jazz that hasn't been driven much (about 26,000 km) for 3,000€. From what I can tell it seems to be about the going rate for the car (which surprised me). Does anyone have any experience with an older Honda Jazz? Are they reliable? Are there any downsides to buying an older car that doesn't hasn't been driven so much?