Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Car rental Canada to USA

11 posts in this topic

Hey, seems I’ve hit some sort of wall as I’m having trouble finding a car rental place that allows you to pickup a rental in Toronto and drop it off in New York City. 

Anyone know where I have to look?

checked a few German sites and Alamo and National? 

The TripAdvisor post is from 2011, so pretty mouldy.  Check online, phone around and maybe you'll get a deal, but your best bet aside from train or plane as mentioned is public transport overland to nearest US location. You'll pay the one-way drop-off rip-off though.  I remember picking up a car in Edmonchuck and driving it to BC.  It had BC plates.  I thought I was doing them a favour bringing the car back to the best part of Canada, but nope.  Charge remains the same.

Normally a one way car hire to another country is very expensive and often impossible.  Even within the EU this is the case.  

The reason is that once you drop off the car in the other country they cannot then rent the vehicle to anybody, but only to somebody who happens to be making the same one-way trip in the opposite direction.  So in practice this means that they have to transport the vehicle back themselves.

As such, then it is often better to cross the border in some other way and pick up a new car.

Interestingly, I remember that when we rented a car in New Zealand we had to leave one car on the north island, take the ferry as passengers, and then collect a new car on the south island.  They didn't want you to drive the cars across on the ferry.

5 hours ago, dj_jay_smith said:

Normally a one way car hire to another country is very expensive and often impossible.  Even within the EU this is the case.  

Sort of! I well remember a business trip where I flew into Cologne and had to fly out of Amsterdam I should have been with a colleague who ordered the rental car but he called off sick at the last minute, no problem getting the rental car as the reservation  included my companies name but they gave me a car with Dutch number plates which they were grateful to get back to Holland. The plane had been delayed so it was not till after midnight that I set off from the airport to travel just over the German/Netherlands border for a hotel and the first appointment in the morning. When I arrived at the border it was past 1 am and surprisingly there was a check so I waved my British passport at the police but was pulled over and asked if the car was mine, I told them it was a rental so they asked for the papers which as I handed them over I noticed the envelope had my colleagues, obviously Irish, name written bold on it. (Bear in mind this was in the early 1990s and the IRA troubles were still ongoing). After a very short discussion the police ordered me to drive to an adjacent parking place where me the car and my bags were very thoroughly searched over a 4 hour period.:huh: I guess a German resident with a British passport driving a Dutch car with papers in an Irish name was just too questionable. So be warned.:D

8 hours ago, dj_jay_smith said:

Interestingly, I remember that when we rented a car in New Zealand we had to leave one car on the north island, take the ferry as passengers, and then collect a new car on the south island.  They didn't want you to drive the cars across on the ferry.

As an aside. We did this. Hired the car in Auckland and left it in Christchurch.