Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Are there any good photographers out there?

10 posts in this topic

I live in an apartment right in the centre of town, right next to the Jewish cemetery and museum. Every day, two very large eagles come and perch on the rooftop of the building next to me in full view of my large windows. I have caught a few photos of them on my phone but thought that photographers out there might like the opportunity to try and get some decent shots of them. I find it amazing that there are wild eagles living in Frankfurt. They tend to visit in the morning between 9 and mid-day. Sometimes they come in the evening but it is rarer. I will only be in my apartment for another 3 days and then will be going to Berlin for a month but either over the next couple days or in August I would happily let photographers come by if anyone wants to try an capture some good wildlife photographs.

03_zpsrinawse9.jpg

As you can see, my pictures aren't great as they are taken with a mobile phone with a pair of low magnification binoculars held up to the lens.

You are definitely not correct there. The Mäusebussard is much smaller than the birds in my photo. Besides, When I heard the cry the eagle made I started listening to eagle cries online trying to find one similar. I couldn't identify exactly what type it is but it definitely gives out the cry of an eagle.

Here Oop Norf when there are thermals around its the Mäusebussard that we see & hear calling as they circle.

(Where were they this afternoon as I was battling with our club's DG-1000 low down in the tight thermals?)

I would suspect they are neither (Adler) Eagles nor (Mäusbussard) Buzzards, both of which tend to avoid heavily built-up areas although Buzzards may be seen on the outskirts of Frankfurt.

Buzzards are indeed smaller than most Eagles although they certainly appear to be much larger than I would have thought before observing them regularly. That said they do prefer to nest in wooded land although they commonly perch on telegraph or high lighting poles. Some of their favourite hunting grounds in Germany are wheat, barley, potato, sugarbeet and similar fields or vinyards located either side of the Autobahns.

During the spring and summer seasons for the last 16 years I have watched a succession of pairs take turns in the morning and afternoon/evening hovering for 10 - 20 mins over the A63 median about 4km south of the Mainzer Sudkreuz. They'll occasionally swoop down on crows fighting over road kill to steal the best bits. If they spot movement in the fields or Weinbergs on either side they'll float over to hover until the unfortunate creature reappears.

As said, I suspect what you have there may be neither Buzzards or Eagles though.

For 20 - 30 years there've been between 6 - 20 pairs of wild Wanderfalke or Peregrine falcons observed nesting on various tower blocks, water towers, the now-demolished Henniger Turm and several of the skyscrapers in Frankfurt.

A pair which nested on the Commerzbank tower were filmed some years back with hidden cameras set up while they were on their annual migratory trip. The whole cycle of breeding, laying, hatching, feeding and teaching the fledglings to gain confidence was featured in some HR produced nature documentaries on several ARD channels.

You can find out a lot more from the NABU Frankfurt report on Wanderfalken in Frankfurt 2012 (4.6MB PDF)

Frankfurt city management employ falconers whose trained Peregrine Falcons keep the pigeon and rat populations under control early in the mornings. FRAPORT at the Airport also do so to keep flocks of starlings or any other breeds away from the flight take-off and landing path areas. So it is even possible to see such birds in FFM in flight which have trailing leather thongs hanging from their legs.

There are also Kestrels (Turmfalke) and Sparrowhawks (Sperber) around FFM but not AFAIK in the city itself.

Where you are located is close enough to several of the known breeding nests that they could be a young pair which have chosen your building roof as either their own nesting location or as a retreat between hunting flights. 

If they are Eagles the Frankfurt Zoogesellschaft may have some interest in them since they are probably keeping the only ones so far known to be in the city.

Here's a blog post about Urban birdwatching in Frankfurt — Urbane Vogelbeobachtung in Frankfurt-am-Main | from Sparrow & Dove

I hope they settle so that you can enjoy many hours of watching their escapades.

2B

Could they be Kites? Distinctive tail feathers. Can't recall what my husband calls them in German.  The white underwing area fits...photo can't be showing full wing span. 

IMG_5735.JPG.d698d80561678ea55ca5091cd04

2 hours ago, emkay said:

Can't recall what my husband calls them in German.

Milane ?

That may be a possibility although I think they're not as large as Buzzards and I've not read about any reported sightings in FFM.

2B

25 minutes ago, 2B_orNot2B said:

Milane ?

That may be a possibility although I think they're not as large as Buzzards and I've not read about any reported sightings in FFM.

2B

That's the name I couldn't remember. Thanks.  This article refers to the black Milan (although brown) being similar to a buzzard in size. https://frankfurt-greencity.de/umwelt-frankfurt/frankfurt-die-gruene-stadt/der-fechenheimer-mainbogen/voegel/

We are treated daily to wonderful aerial displays by the local kites and buzzards. Amazing too to see crows protecting their nests and seeing off these much bigger birds mid flight.