Is there a word for 'Fragenkomplex'

13 posts in this topic

Good morning all,

Now here's a thing! Can anyone think of a snappy translation for 'Fragenkomplex'? I can't and I need it to describe sets of questions in a translation on questionnaires. 'Set of questions' doesn't work well because it is used in the headings and to describe Table contents which follow. 'Question complex' is not 'proper' English in my book. Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm stuck.

Fragenkatalog

ETA: Ah, I see. Misread it. Sorry. Not enough coffee.

As I understand it, a Fragenkomplex is a group of thematically related questions about particular aspects of a bigger subject. So in English we might have

Subject

Themes, topics

Would something like thematic questions work?

Related questions? Or just themes?

If the headline says "Set of questions" and below that headline, the questions are grouped in "clusters", what about calling them "subset <Subject>"?

4 hours ago, jeba said:

This is why you ask a native speaker instead of a dictionary.

"Battery of questions" sounds like someone is going to beat you over the head with it.

Feierabend and franklan have the right idea.

4 hours ago, El Jeffo said:

"Battery of questions" sounds like someone is going to beat you over the head with it.

I cant say that I have ever used "battery of questions" myself, but Im pretty sure its correct english, and I wouldnt think twice if someone did use it.

31 minutes ago, zwiebelfisch said:

I cant say that I have ever used "battery of questions" myself, but Im pretty sure its correct english, and I wouldnt think twice if someone did use it.

If someone uses it in conversation, sure. But you certainly wouldn't expect to see it on its own, on a written survey form. I know I wouldn't. Yeah, you'd get it, but it would make you go "huh". A survey form shouldn't make you go "huh".

On 6/26/2018, 6:54:30, mgr said:

Good morning all,

Now here's a thing! Can anyone think of a snappy translation for 'Fragenkomplex'? I can't and I need it to describe sets of questions in a translation on questionnaires. 'Set of questions' doesn't work well because it is used in the headings and to describe Table contents which follow. 'Question complex' is not 'proper' English in my book. Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm stuck.

Toytown is spelled L E O . O R G

Hi everyone,

Thank you all so much for your suggestions. Just to say I  settled for 'Question Complex' in the end because the format - bunches of spreadsheet tables - was too compact and pretty confining.

Yes, I know, very feeble!  I just hope the client doesn't notice or doesn't mind!

Cheers and thanks again ....