Difficulty in finding work as a project manager in software development. Any advice?

40 posts in this topic

9 minutes ago, lukeuk said:

Mike, did you receive my DM? I can't seem to find the 'outbox' on this forum, so unsure whether it was actually sent.

No, did not received it.

1 minute ago, john g. said:

Hi lukeuk!

Your assumptions about health insurance; much too complicated to answer in one sentence.

Standard  health care? Doesn´t exist...there is NO NHS in Germany but a complex dual system of public and private. Neither is free--far from it, Public insurance for a freelancer can be much more expensive than private insurance...sometimes. It all depends.

Disclaimer: I´m an independent insurance broker and authorized advertiser on Toytown and have NO idea about project management or anything else connected with real work!!:)

Thanks John, yes sorry this is my lack of understanding of how the health care system works in Germany. I am aware it's not the same as the NHS however, but I am lead to believe that it's multi-tiered and as a contractor you're pretty much guaranteed to pay more for it than someone on the payroll, simply because the employer is obligated to make a direct contribution as I understand it? I might be wrong there though, I don't understand how the costs are calculated.

OP - did you read the UK gov website on moving to Germany?

Have you used TT search function for this subject, plus Health Insurance. You do realise your EHIC card is meant for  3 months max use as a tourist/ visitor.

Do check John g , and Starshollow posts- they are respected members / Insurance brokers.

Public health insurance as an employee: income-related and boss pays just under half of the monthly contribution

Self-employed and new in Germany: you can choose between public and private insurance. If public, minimum c 400 euros a month..if private; depends on age, health and chosen tariff. In either case: you pay the full whack 100% yourself.

Other issues: if coming over for just a few months - who would want to insure you privately in the German system for such a short time...and equally hassle-ridden to get into public insurance,

Basically . you have a few choices in the next few weeks: wild sex, World Cup in Russia or contact an independent insurance broker for free advice:P

If fit and young, you can handle all three!!!:lol:

9 minutes ago, RedMidge said:

OP - did you read the UK gov website on moving to Germany?

Have you used TT search function for this subject, plus Health Insurance. You do realise your EHIC card is meant for  3 months max use as a tourist/ visitor.

Do check John g , and Starshollow posts- they are respected members / Insurance brokers.

No, I moved here directly from New Zealand and I still had some private health insurance which covered me in all countries however, that has since expired. I admit it's not the best situation at all. Thanks for the heads up though, I will speak to John in a separate thread to keep this one on topic.

Ha! The plot thickens! You have been insured in New Zealand? That knocks out the public insurance option in Germany as a freelancer. Why? Ha, complex, complex....

Time not for wild sex but to take 4 dogs out for a wee wee...(in two shifts, though..it´s dark out there...)

15 minutes ago, lukeuk said:

No, I moved here directly from New Zealand and I still had some private health insurance which covered me in all countries however, that has since expired.

As an EU citizen you are required to have comprehensive health insurance in order to legally live here.

Do Agile projects actually still have project managers? Do they not all just have product owners, resource coordinators, and scrum-halves nowadays?

22 minutes ago, RedMidge said:

The plot thickens! Dual citizenship? So, which passport are you using?

So, no EHIC card?

This is off topic, I will discuss this with John as mentioned.

10 minutes ago, arsenal21 said:

Do Agile projects actually still have project managers? Do they not just have product owners, resource coordinators, and scrum-halves nowadays?

It depends on the company formation. In a formation aligned towards producing an established 'product' the answer is usually no. However, in an agency type environment where you're continuously dealing with new clients and new projects, then yes sometimes they do though most have a hybrid version of the PM that sort of 'plugs the agile gap', usually called an Agile PM.

On 6/25/2018, 10:46:16, arsenal21 said:

Do Agile projects actually still have project managers? Do they not all just have product owners, resource coordinators, and scrum-halves nowadays?

Yes they do. Product owners and scrum masters don't replace all the functions of a project manager.

Exception for web projects, because they are usually so easy to manage that you don't need a project manager.

Hey Luke,

how are things working out? (I have only just seen this post today.)

I am an Australian who is working as a project manager on a global IT project, based here in Germany. I was recruited out of Australia and landed here last October. I am in a permanent role, but have some experiences with most of what has been mentioned in this post, for reasons I cant discuss on this post.

I agree with earlier comments - if you have made it to interview, your CV is working. But as is usual, getting past the post - getting past first interview - is another level of difficulty. But it is great to get that far - you can definitely succeed from here.

If you want to PM me I would be happy to help in any way I can (does this forum do PMs...? :) not sure...)

anyway, remember that ALL job finding is a numbers game, like sales, where they say that every "no" is one step closer to a "yes"...so keep pushing.

And by the way, i am working for a consulting firm - in other words, a company that does everything through projects, and needs international experience on its teams.

again, let me know if you want to have a chat to see if I can help in some way.

Peter

21 minutes ago, peterLP said:

If you want to PM me I would be happy to help in any way I can (does this forum do PMs...? :) not sure...)

- yes!

To do so, click on the person who posted, (at the left of the post), and their profile page comes up.

At the top, you will see the name of the person, and tehn there are two boxes in a slightly different colour - one of them is "send a message" - click on there, and you can send a PM.

Oh, and welcome to TT!

You might benefit from www.gulp.de if you decide to work freelance.  

In the past it had valuable info on demand for certain skills as well as what to expect as an hourly rate.

It is possible to construct profiles in both English and German in case you want to target a specific audience.  

In addition to setting up a profile on Xing, you might get a better feel for the market by following a couple of freelance groups on Xing.   

Good luck

11 hours ago, robinson100 said:

- yes!

To do so, click on the person who posted, (at the left of the post), and their profile page comes up.

At the top, you will see the name of the person, and tehn there are two boxes in a slightly different colour - one of them is "send a message" - click on there, and you can send a PM.

Oh, and welcome to TT!

danke sehr!!! :) ;)

12 hours ago, sorcerers_apprentice said:

You might benefit from www.gulp.de if you decide to work freelance. 

Notice: direct freelancing is now rejected by most companies.

12 hours ago, MikeMelga said:

Notice: direct freelancing is now rejected by most companies.

I have found that to be true as well, however, even if an intermediary takes 5-35%, it is still possible to make a very good living.  

I still contract directly (albeit rarely in IT and it'd be more PM now) but I increasingly think it's not worth it anyway, not in the 2018 market for various reasons.   We are increasingly ending up with the equivalent overhead anyway, juggling multiple clients. The clients increasingly expect us to take on what use to be clearly their risks and effort.   Also more state and other process to follow.

It does look to me like you may as well let someone have a cut, just do one contract, sign up for 6 months or whatever, thrash through the work  delivering your skills, and walk away with a big lump of cash.  Starting to look way easier, certainly compared to 2001 or 2006.

I'm starting a career break after more than a decade of it here, and stopping that.   Retiring from it I guess. Contract or  short fixed term employment is likely to be where I go back, if I do.    Individual self-employment is the one that seems least worth doing now.  

I've just moved to Germany from the UK and am freelancing for two different companies - one in the US, 'direct', and one in the Germany through a UK agency/consultancy management company, which has a contract with my UK Ltd company. My wife and I picked up private insurance soon after we moved, which was a headache (and expensive!) but worth it - my wife has T1D and will benefit a great deal from an insulin pump, which was not forthcoming in the UK.

I'm in that hazy area between Senior BA/Project Manager in my work, and I've found throughout my career that a lot of companies will hire you as one when they really want another, so I wouldn't get too hung up on job role definition if you're confident that you'll be able to play in several different spaces. Feel free to PM me.