Is there a way to give German B1 test without waiting for months?

20 posts in this topic

I want to get a B1 certificate for my PR, I have contacted few language schools (Sprachschule) in Frankfurt area for "telc B1 prüfung", however, they all seem to be booked for at least next 1.5 month.

The earliest free places are in mid August. Moreover, it can take another 8 weeks for the results to come out.

Meaning I can get my B1 certificate (if I apply now) earliest after 6 months. That's crazy! All other documents for PR can be obtained in few days, only this B1 test takes too long.

Is there a way I can give B1 exam (not necessarily have to be "telc B1") without waiting that long? Any tips would be really helpful.

Go somewhere else.   Ask the Institutes (goethe or telc) or the Hesse state education authority who's doing it next  (my language school contacted them).    I did my last exam in Wiesbaden, which is the other side of the state from me.   Summer often means things go slowly here though and especially in fields like education (and our holidays start today, so yes, much education takes it easy til mid-August, so you might want a neighbour state running later).   And you are gonna have a registration timelag, it's not one you register for and turn up the next day.

EDIT - If A2-B1 scaled test is OK, you can do that at Mondiale in Darmstadt at start August and probably other places here.  It's only 20 mins from Frankfurt (Darmstadt Nord).   From below answer - Heidelberg's probably got possibilities too, and Mainz and Aschaffenburg.

Mannheim Abendakademie proctors the A2/B1 DTZ at least once per month. Take a train and do the test down there.

Monthly 2-4 times TELC will be conducting exams DTZ (deutschtest für zuwanderer) in various locations.

17th August is the next possible exam date if you could apply before 8th July.

You can check the below link for possible exam dates.

https://www.telc.net/fileadmin/user_upload/Informationsmaterial/pruefungstermine_dtz_2018.pdf

For TELC exam locations can be found in:

https://www.telc.net/pruefungsteilnehmende/pruefungszentrum-finden.html?

I checked few listed exam centers and 3rd Aug is the latest exam date. Try your luck...

DAA-Stuttgart provides Telc Deutsche B1 exams regularly. I'm not sure DAA Frankfurt also provides similar exams.

Buy this book. Remember you are preparing for an exam, not learning German. Prepare for the exam. 

@fredadi You have applied for Telc Deutsch B1 which is slightly different from DTZ.

Telc Deutsch B1 contains 2 sections.

1. Writing

Reading - 3 sections, 25 points each section + Grammar - 2 sections, 15 points each section (total 90 mins)

Listening - 3 sections, 25 points each (30 mins)
    Letter writing - 45 points (30 mins)    

2. Speaking- 3 sections, 75 points in total (15 min)

Total marks: Writing (25*3 + 15*2 + 25*3 + 45) + Speaking (75) = 225 + 75 = 300

For passing the exam, you need to get minimum 180 points. ie, 135 points in Writing section and 45 points in speaking section (60% in each section)

sample test can be found in:

https://www.telc.net/pruefungsteilnehmende/sprachpruefungen/pruefungen/detail/zertifikat-deutsch-telc-deutsch-b1.html#t=2

In case if you fail in only one section, you can do a retest for the failed section alone.

All the best for the exams

Interesting, that's changed.   When I did it, it was a pass mark for overall pass mark and also the writing (i.e.  the letter bit, not all listed under it), but not speaking.  You had to be able to put German on paper to pass mark level.

15 hours ago, fredadi said:

Thanks all for your help. I've managed to book a date for B1 exam on 21.07.2018 in Mannheim. This is the website of the Sprachshcule http://www.eims-sprachen.de/telc.html.

Now I've got 4 weeks to prepare for it. Any tips on how to pass it would be great :)

And thanks again.

Oh, and hey, Dr. Braun is top notch. You'll be very happy with the professionalism of her office. No nonsense there.

On 6/26/2018, 10:30:05, Saritha said:

@fredadi You have applied for Telc Deutsch B1 which is slightly different from DTZ.

Telc Deutsch B1 contains 2 sections.

1. Writing

Reading - 3 sections, 25 points each section + Grammar - 2 sections, 15 points each section (total 90 mins)

Listening - 3 sections, 25 points each (30 mins)
    Letter writing - 45 points (30 mins)    

2. Speaking- 3 sections, 75 points in total (15 min)

Total marks: Writing (25*3 + 15*2 + 25*3 + 45) + Speaking (75) = 225 + 75 = 300

For passing the exam, you need to get minimum 180 points. ie, 135 points in Writing section and 45 points in speaking section (60% in each section)

sample test can be found in:

https://www.telc.net/pruefungsteilnehmende/sprachpruefungen/pruefungen/detail/zertifikat-deutsch-telc-deutsch-b1.html#t=2

In case if you fail in only one section, you can do a retest for the failed section alone.

All the best for the exams

By different you don't mean much or less difficulty. Right?

23 hours ago, AlexTr said:

Oh, and hey, Dr. Braun is top notch. You'll be very happy with the professionalism of her office. No nonsense there.

23 hours ago, AlexTr said:

Is Dr. Braun easy going? I hope by professional you don't mean she's difficult to please.

2 minutes ago, fredadi said:

Is Dr. Braun easy going? I hope by professional you don't mean she's difficult to please.

No, I mean that her office will handle you and your needs the way a customer should be handled. When I had dealings with her as a colleague, I found her very customer/student oriented and I think you will find her the same. The tests in her office are likely run by her staff, but I would certainly feel good about her if she were my examiner.

Practice doing the test. Work on staying calm and loose or you will unnecessarily stress yourself out.

1 minute ago, AlexTr said:

No, I mean that her office will handle you and your needs the way a customer should be handled. When I had dealings with her as a colleague, I found her very customer/student oriented and I think you will find her the same. The tests in her office are likely run by her staff, but I would certainly feel good about her if she were my examiner.

Practice doing the test. Work on staying calm and loose or you will unnecessarily stress yourself out.

Got it. Thanks for the tips. I'm working full-time so I'll only have evenings and weekends to prepare. I do speak German at work though, but, my grammar is BAD. Let's see how it goes.

1 hour ago, fredadi said:

By different you don't mean much or less difficulty. Right?

Yes..

I have written both Telc Deutsche B1 and DTZ.

I'm not good in grammar and I felt Deutsche B1 is more difficult as it emphasize more on your reading, writing skills. Overall there is only 2 sections and we should get atleast 60% in both the sections to get B1.

In DTZ if we get B1 in 2 sections (speaking + Listening (or) writing), we will get B1. Letter writing was quite easy and if you could manage to learn 3-4 letters, you can easily score good marks.

On 6/27/2018, 4:23:05, Saritha said:

Yes..

I have written both Telc Deutsche B1 and DTZ.

I'm not good in grammar and I felt Deutsche B1 is more difficult as it emphasize more on your reading, writing skills. Overall there is only 2 sections and we should get atleast 60% in both the sections to get B1.

In DTZ if we get B1 in 2 sections (speaking + Listening (or) writing), we will get B1. Letter writing was quite easy and if you could manage to learn 3-4 letters, you can easily score good marks.

Recently I've tried some modal tests for "telc zertifikat B1", and was surprised to see that without any training I scored about 80% every time, however only in written part (excluding letter writing) meaning the #1, #2 and #3 from the following list. Now was that a luck or actual test will also be of similar difficulty?

Moreover, how am I supposed to assess my letter writing and speaking skills? For first three parts I had a solution key to compare my answers with. How do I judge my letter writing and speaking?

Every modal test has following parts

#1 Leseverstehen 3 parts (max marks 75, weight 25%)
#2 Sprachbausteine 2 parts (max marks 30, weight 10%)
#3 Hörverstehen 3 parts (max marks 75, weight 25%)
#4 Schriftlicher Ausdruck (max marks 45, weight 15%)
#5 Mündlicher Ausdruck (max marks 75, weight 25%)

For speaking, you can watch this video and compare yourself —> Telc B1 Mündliche Prüfung

Be careful, you can easily delude yourself by watching and understanding everything. Try to answer the questions by yourself and see.

As for writing, the examples given in the Beispiel Prüfung can guide you. Try to write a letter everyday and get it checked by somebody. Subjects can be found on the internet. It doesn’t have to be perfect, B1 allows making many mistakes.

1 hour ago, Nkwal said:

https://www.amazon.de/Mit-Erfolg-Zertifikat-Deutsch-telc/dp/3126768016/ref=sr_1_2/257-9809399-5738057?ie=UTF8&qid=1531118299&sr=8-2&keywords=telc+b1

I used this book to study with when taking telc B1 test. I passed with flying colors. I highly recommend these books to anyone who is going to take the telc test!!

I have already bought a book, but this one https://www.hugendubel.de/de/buch/dieter_maenner-pruefungstraining_daf_b1_zertifikat_deutsch_telc_deutsch-21005262-produkt-details.html?searchId=107126280. It's called "Prüfungstraining DaF B1. Zertifikat Deutsch / telc Deutsch von Dieter Maenner". Seems like a nice book, however, somehow I'm not able to run their "Prüfungsimulator Software" that comes with the book. It just opens, load for a while and then closes back. But, other than that I'm happy with the book so far.

9 minutes ago, fredadi said:

I have already bought a book, but this one https://www.hugendubel.de/de/buch/dieter_maenner-pruefungstraining_daf_b1_zertifikat_deutsch_telc_deutsch-21005262-produkt-details.html?searchId=107126280. It's called "Prüfungstraining DaF B1. Zertifikat Deutsch / telc Deutsch von Dieter Maenner". Seems like a nice book, however, somehow I'm not able to run their "Prüfungsimulator Software" that comes with the book. It just opens, load for a while and then closes back. But, other than that I'm happy with the book so far.

I had the same issue with the simulator and the grammer test program!  Also, the disks were labelled incorrectly.

But the book itself was very good and useful.