Need a BIG car from the airport!

7 posts in this topic

Good morning, 

My husband, teenage son, large dog in a giant (and non-collapsible) kennel, and some doubtless large suitcases will land at the Munich airport in late July. My husband is wondering how all this is going to get to our rented house in Neuhausen since obviously the standard Uber isn't going to cut it. I'm imagining they need something like a U.S. mini-van - maybe the equivalent of a VW Caddy? The height and length of the kennel - 35x48 inches - will probably be the determining factor. 

If anyone knows if Uber has cars this large and how you request them, or of some kind of van service that will transport from the airport, could you let me know? Much of what I found on this site involves renting a van and driving it yourself. He doesn't know Munich, will be sleep-deprived, and will have his hands full with the freaked-out dog, so he'd prefer not to rent something to drive. He also doesn't know any German and my son's is pretty rudimentary, so I said I'd try to figure this out ahead of time since I'm coming later, after the dust has settled! 

If it's a matter of a Google search, keyword suggestions would be appreciated. I can read German, but I don't really have daily/idiomatic German (yet) so I am not sure what the actual businesses that offer such services would be called. 

Thanks in advance for any suggestions and advice. 

I edited your title... you had a question mark at the end, implying you were offering a big car as a service to people :)

You can request a large van taxi when you call to book one.

51 minutes ago, M Kitt said:

If anyone knows if Uber has cars this large and how you request them, or of some kind of van service that will transport from the airport, could you let me know?

I'm not sure about your chances of finding an Uber car at all in Munich which is one of many large cities in Germany where Uber have been in some kind of legal limbo for the last few years.

There are usually plenty of large station wagon type or VW bus type taxis available in most cities in Germany. If you don't want to use a free airport Taxiruf phone and there's not one at the head of the cab rank when you arrive just ask the 1st, 2nd or 3rd driver to call one up.

Kombi = station wagon. Grossraumlimousine = VW type bus

Also, if you ever need anything oversized such as IKEA furniture transported, there are numerous companies which offer driver-operated vans on a (kerbside to kerbside unless pre-arranged otherwise) metered basis. These services are offered under the branch heading 'Lasttaxi'  (Last=load)

2B

I don't want to be seen as doing marketing for them, but I use sixt mydriver(mydriver.com) to get home from Munich airport every week, and they are always pretty reliable. You can book a 'business van', it generally costs about 25% more than a taxi. And the driver will meet you at the exit with a sign, help you with bags etc. 

There are almost always vans in the taxi line as well. 

I used to work for MyDriver until they threw out all chauffeurs across Germany to work only as an agency (like Uber). Yes, you can order a business van with them but you can also do this with any one of many Munich Chauffeur companies like;

089 chauffeurs

Munich Drivers

Interline

Christoph Hermann

Plus of course the taxi companies standing at the various airport terminals all have vans available as already mentioned.

If you goooogle anything like chauffeur munich you'll get even more options but the ones I listed are ones I personally know and can recommend and all have vans available, just book in advance, give your flight details and they'll collect you at the correct terminaly and time.

Christoph Hermann have a range of vehicles from Tesla, through Mercedes and including a Mercedes van which is usually driven by a chap called Andy who I know and can certainly recommend as very professional.

If you want to work through an agency then there's also Blacklane.

This is great - thank you for the helpful suggestions, all. Sounds like they have several good options. We'll look at prices and perhaps book something a bit before so there's as little uncertainty as possible. Looking forward to our year!