Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Excursions out from Wolfsburg?

5 posts in this topic

Hello, I'd be really grateful for any tips on what to do with my parents within easy driving or train distance of WOB this summer. I lived there for four years, and they still! stop off there every summer, so we know the basics! Done Braunschweig Gifhorn etc, looking for secret tips not much further out than that. They always do the Otterzentrum and the Nabu centre. Done the windmill museum. what are good starting points for day trips into the Lüneberger Heide, Drömling, and the other Naturschuzgebiete? Which of the villages is gorgeous with nice places to eat?

thanks!!

Tips for trips of about the same distance: Königslutter, Peine (for the Rausch chocolate factory)

A little further distance: Celle is beautiful, Lüneburg, too

Hannover (especially Herrenhäuser Gärten) and Pattensen           

(Marienburg Palace)

Salzgitter AG is very interesting

This is a part of the country I usually only visit for football purposes but yes, I enjoyed Hannover.   I tend not to hang around what you might call "olde" German-looking areas (in part from the practicality of being vegetarian) but I very much liked the sweet little old town central area for dining out etc.   And how about going east - e.g. Magdeburg?

Bad Harzburg is nice, easy road and train access (at least from Braunschweig).

Take a ride up the cablecar (located in the centre of town, next to the tourist info place), the treetop walk (Baumwipfelpfad Harz) is pretty good.

Also Goslar is picturesque, UNESCO listed world heritage site.

My advice comes late, but may be helpful in the future...

If you haven't seen Braunschweig or Wolfenbüttel, they are worth a day or two. Wolfenbüttel has a fabulous old library (http://www.hab.de/), and even if you can't touch anything, it's pretty cool to take it all in. I've been there three separate occasions (keeping visitors occupied) and always enjoyed it anew. There is also the Lessinghaus, which may or may not interest you depending on your knowledge of Enlightenment-era German drama and literature. Königslutter am Elm is also nearby, maybe worth a few hours. I did bike tours to or around many of these areas.

Bad Harzburg I would also recommend. Sure, you'll see loads of old folks doing a 'cure' there, but it's not only them. I think the town has done a good job of trying to diversify and attract families and young people. The Baunwipfelpfad is great with kids, or without too. The Thermalbad/sauna there is relaxed and unpretentious. The Harz in general should be on your radar. Maybe hike up the Brocken? Goslar is also nice if there is any kind of little festival going on (I've only been there in winter, for Weihnachtsmarkt).

You could visit the former 'inner border' areas, there are some small reminders left standing. Near Helmstedt is Checkpoint B, Bravo (which before the Die Wende, lead to Checkpoint C, Charlie in Berlin, i.e. the official highway route into East Germany from West Germany).

Also got the Gifhorner Heide or Lüneburger Heide of course, if not Lüneburg itself.