Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Liability of private safety equipment seller in case of death/injury?

5 posts in this topic

Okay. I've sold my old alpine safety equipment (via ferrata set). The safety label was not broken (this happens when you fall from the cliff, and the equipment saves your life, you cannot use it afterwards like you can't use a car airbag twice) and I uploaded a proof photo of this on eBay auction.

I also wrote "buy and use on your own risk" description, that it is 2 years old and was used approximately once a month during the mountaineering season. In this case the producer recommends use it for 5 years, so 3 years left. But if used very rarely (once a year for vacation), then it can last 10 years. All this also written in the description.

These numbers are very conservative and only describe liability of the producer (when there is deadly accident a criminal case is always opened also against a producer).

Can I somehow be held liable / charges against me opened if something happens? Any known court decisions?

I really hope someone knowledgeable will buy it, but if it will go to a tourist who looks for cheap equipment, I do not want to be liable for tourists using it incorrectly etc...

7 minutes ago, yourkeau said:

Can I somehow be held liable / charges against me opened if something happens? Any known court decisions?

I really hope someone knowledgeable will buy it, but if it will go to a tourist who looks for cheap equipment, I do not want to be liable for tourists using it incorrectly etc...

Yorkie, I really wouldn't have sold it in the first place. I tried to offload my old climbing gear in the UK but was told the gear was actually out of date itself? Choinard Friends etc nuts and slings. I think I binned it in the end.

On the other hand I did sell a paraglider to a guy with my heart in my mouth telling him I'd been careful with it etc, like you. 

These were my thoughts, too. Actually I wouldn't buy it if I were me, but on the other hand if someone needs it onetime (e.g. a company for a group hike) it will be a good investment.

I also thought of donating it to Alpenverein but they do not seem interested: they buy a new equipment every year or two, then rent it for 10 euro/week to the members, it pays for itself during the season. So, they are not interested in used equipment.

Not very helpful here, but at the fire brigade, we have two sets of climbing equipment, and I know that they get sent away on a regular basis to be checked over and given the all-clear.

If only I knew where!!!

At work the situation is clear (I know it's volunteer but the rules I guess are the same): whoever is the boss is liable for all equipment being safe. 

Well, perhaps your post is indeed helpful: in private situation one should not assume that used device is safe, they should go somewhere and check it...