Main Residence in Frankfurt, Working in Munich - Apartment or Hotel?

13 posts in this topic

Hi All,

I live with my wife in Frankfurt, and I just received a job offer from a company in Munich. I will be traveling to Munich on Monday - Wednesday to the corporate headquarters. The company is unwilling to pay for travel costs (train, hotel, etc.) to the Munich office, but offered me a good salary, bonus, and benefits package to make up for it.

My question is: Would it be better to rent a second apartment in Munich, or simply stay in a hotel 2 nights a week? Regarding the "Doppelte-Haushaltsführung", is one option more “tax-deductible” than the other?

I have been searching the forums and Google for a few hours, but have yet to see a clear answer on this topic. Thank you! :)

1 hour ago, ExpatKyle said:

Hi All,

I live with my wife in Frankfurt, and I just received a job offer from a company in Munich. I will be traveling to Munich on Monday - Wednesday to the corporate headquarters. The company is unwilling to pay for travel costs (train, hotel, etc.) to the Munich office, but offered me a good salary, bonus, and benefits package to make up for it.

My question is: Would it be better to rent a second apartment in Munich, or simply stay in a hotel 2 nights a week? Regarding the "Doppelte-Haushaltsführung", is one option more “tax-deductible” than the other?

I have been searching the forums and Google for a few hours, but have yet to see a clear answer on this topic. Thank you! :)

2 nights is fine for a hotel anything more I would probably rent a room.

Thanks for the advice!

Hotels (for work travel) are in fact covered under " Doppelte-Haushaltsführung", right? I have looked over the  Doppelte-Haushaltsführun documentation but it is still a bit fuzzy to me.

2 minutes ago, ExpatKyle said:

Thanks for the advice!

Hotels (for work travel) are in fact covered under " Doppelte-Haushaltsführung", right? I have looked over the  Doppelte-Haushaltsführun documentation but it is still a bit fuzzy to me.

Yes it is covered, plus only one way is also covered (not both ways).

I'm a bit surprised there's not much response to this, but this might tell us something about the accom 2018 market.  It's probably not as easy to pick up a second commuter rental (which certainly used to be common here) and hotel prices of popular cities are affected by gentrification.  The solutions you've not mentioned are private rental (airBnB etc) and hostels (which often have private rooms now, and are often a good meeting place for other professionals).

I was assigned to a popular European business capital a couple of years back.   Booking hotels and other lodgings proved to be a bit inconvenient - scarce availability at times, and thus very random (which I know can be an issue in Munich also when things like football matches are on).  I just had to take what was there at times and I was not footing the costs, but they racked up (and I am not talking top end).  The Munich accommodation market can also be tight.  

Renting here also tends to include quite a lot of set up of course, to factor in (and so how long you plan to stay it might be a factor).   There are also issues that a lot of professionals hit about quality of life.  We don't want any hotel or second space, but one that provides a suitable quality of life.   That's also a barrier now we have less choice (for more money).

Hi swimmer, thank for the advice! I hadn't considered the hostel or AirBnB which may be good options. 

Yes, I see this as a future problem that workers in Munich (especially commuters) may have to deal with. We may see a surge of young/not-so-young professionals living out of hostels regularly for a few days or weeks at a time. I myself am 30 - I don't see myself staying in a hostel with partying 21 year-olds for long periods of time. But I suppose I need to keep the option open in order to keep my costs down.

Hi Kyle

Coincidentaly, I just responded to a post from Monday from another TTer whose home base is in FFM and is starting a job in Munich.

You might want to keep an eye on that thread too,

just in case anyone pops in with a brilliant tip or two.

If nothing else it's possibly an opportunity to organize a car-sharing arrangement which may be of benefit to you both.

2B

1 hour ago, 2B_orNot2B said:

Hi Kyle

Coincidentaly, I just responded to a post from Monday from another TTer whose home base is in FFM and is starting a job in Munich.

You might want to keep an eye on that thread too,

just in case anyone pops in with a brilliant tip or two.

If nothing else it's possibly an opportunity to organize a car-sharing arrangement which may be of benefit to you both.

2B

Wow, I don't know how I didn't think of this. Or maybe even do a flat share thing. I was originally planning to just buy a yearly "bahn pass" though. But car is an interesting idea...

Thanks for the suggestion! I will keep this in mind.

The thing about decent hostels in business places is that they are often gentrified just the same, full of people talking about their starts ups and comparing life in Berlin / Stockholm / Barcelona  etc.  Party sorts long since priced out of many of them, like with many things now.  (And on top of that, the youth of today is far more abstemious that we older cohorts - it's not them that'd be the shouty boozy sorts that will keep you up).    For sure, they are places you can easily work in now.

We used A&O private rooms in Munich (near the main station) some time ago while my partner was building a place and I later booked people in and no issues there.  Not much different from similar hotels in that locale (often more basic facilities but often more space).    I stayed in a couple in that place I mentioned above, and absolutely no issues.

A flat share might not be a bad idea, if you can find one.  I'm not sure a full rental for 3 days a week makes economic sense in the 2018 market, especially with the investment and obligations on top.

Know one landlord with holiday rental flat in the city, and he has several business people who book 2-3 days a week , as they have to travel for work. He stocks the kitchen with tea, coffee , butter etc, and a reliable cleaner.  Has steady stream of tourists as well.

Thanks all for the advice! I am always amazed at how quick the responses are on this forum.

swimmer, I will look into A&O. Thanks for the suggestion!

Hey RedMidge, can you PM me the contact details or website? Thanks!

I am also looking into flat-sharing options.