Haggling over a motorbike price

9 posts in this topic

Hi Guys,

Looking to upgrade my bike to something a little better. I have a budget of up to 10,000.

When I last bought a bike from a dealer I managed to get the whole of a free 5 euro polo-shirt from an asking price of 2,800!

I'm far too English far too polite!

So if you guys were looking at a bike, obviously one you would like to have, advertised at 10,000 ... what cash discount can you generally expect?

In other words ... "how much cash would you take with you?"

Be grateful for input... thank you

I guess you decide what you are willing to pay and only take that much. I don't think a dealer is going to come down much for a new bike. Same as a new car. Have you considered used?

Himself is currently thinking about downsizing from his Honda 1200 to an 800. He would never pay for new when he can get a good used one. He only bought one new bike in his life and regretted it when he went to re-sell it.

It is used ...

and I have a Triumph sprint ST (955i) and a triumph trophy 900 for sale if himself may be interested?

You are looking at it the wrong way around (save for the small sum I've mentioned below) there is no fixed percentage off an asking price of a used car...you've got to consider how fair the asking price is in the first place. Always good to have at least three vehicles you are looking to view (and mention the fact), all will have different benefits (Kms, age, condition, HU, service history even location etc...I'm assuming they are all a similar price). If the one you are looking at is newer, fewer miles, better condition and with history, then if it is also the cheapest, there is unlikely to be much movement on price. If you can say...I like this one, but the one down the road has fewer KMs etc or is in similar condition but 500 cheaper, then you've got a reason to push on price. Anything on the condition (the odd scratch/bubble, worn tyre, thin disk) will always give you scope to push a bit more. Oh, and be prepared to walk away!

I suppose, as an absolute minimum, if you've spent an hour looking at, talking about and test driving the vehicle, then that's an hour the seller will never get back - has to be worth a few hundred, to save him going through the same spiel with the next buyer.

Finally, when you do make an offer (under the price) the best thing to do is just keep quiet. It'll feel awkward, but the pressure is on the seller. Ignore all temptation to make him feel better by making an improved offer, and just wait...

Good luck. 

17 minutes ago, dstanners said:

Finally, when you do make an offer (under the price) the best thing to do is just keep quiet. It'll feel awkward, but the pressure is on the seller. Ignore all temptation to make him feel better by making an improved offer, and just wait...

^^THIS is 100% the best advice I've seen anyone on TT give on "closing the deal" on a used vehicle purchase (sale, or trade too).

And I know that it works from the experience of over 30 years of success in trading vehicles.

2B

Cars, bikes, whatever...I always ask "What's the best you can do on the price"?  Never fails (for me) to get the ball rolling, downhill.  You have to be prepared with a price you're willing to pay.  When the dealer says, "9,500" you say, "I'll do 9,000 cash right now".  He might come back with "9,250"...you then decide.