Quiet living near Augsburg

11 posts in this topic

My family and I live in Stuttgart and want to relocate for several reasons, one being the noise pollution. We're currently looking at Bavaria, particularly Augsburg. Our desire to relocate includes wanting to find a much quieter area near lots of nature while also not being too far from conveniences (like a bio/organic store) or for a commute to Augsburg. We are looking for a single-family (or attached) home with a private garden. We're working within one income at the moment, so we need to find something relatively affordable. In another thread, @Frassem said there is a high noise level around this area due to two motorways and a train line. Can anyone recommend quiet, green areas we might consider moving to?

How about Kempten?  Surrounded by nature - lakes and forests.  One can see the mountains easily from near anywhere, not in the town center obviously.  Everything one could need is in Kempten - bio shops.  Large, but not overly so.  A7 is very close by, but one will not hear the traffic, unless you live directly next to it, which no one does.  Very convenient to Augsburg or Munich or Neu Ulm either by car or train.

I have several mates who live in Kempten and the reason they do is the convenience of shops and restaurants and in 15 - 20 minutes they're in the mountains or nearby lakes, to which there are many.  Kempten is also not overly priced in regards to flats or homes.

24 minutes ago, CaliMarie said:

Thanks for the great tip, @BayrischDude. We are going to Augsburg this Monday for a job interview, so we'll be sure to check this area out.

I hope you realize this "area" is 100 kilometers away ... commuting by car would take 2,5 to 3 hours. Per day. 

I suggest you take a look at (Google) maps to get some idea about distances to Augsburg and use their navigation tool.

3 minutes ago, someonesdaughter said:

I hope you realize this "area" is 100 kilometers away ... commuting by car would take 2,5 to 3 hours. Per day. 

I suggest you take a look at (Google) maps to get some idea about distances to Augsburg and use their navigation tool.

Oh, that's way too far. Someone else had recommended Kempton, so I assumed it was only 15-20-min away. Not sure why anyone would think that's very convenient besides an occasional day trip...

Right now, it's looking like we'll be working in Augsburg, which is why I titled my post that way and mentioned commuting to Augsburg (doesn't look like I can edit my post, but hopefully it makes sense). If getting a job doesn't work out in Augsburg, we might consider working elsewhere like maybe Kempten, but the area would need to have sales/IT possibilities.

17 hours ago, someonesdaughter said:

Of course I know how to use Google and its myriad tools; I specifically created this post because I know nothing of Augsburg or the surrounding area and wanted some friendly support and suggestions about where to consider living with a reasonable commute (15min-40min) instead of randomly exploring the area on my own. I planned to compare the distances later after receiving recommendations. I thought my post was clear enough since I mentioned we are looking to live near Augsburg with a commute not too far from it, so I (incorrectly) assumed the suggestions coming in were in close proximity...

17 hours ago, BayrischDude said:

Had you mentioned you were fixed on Augsburg and had a job interview I would not have recommended Kempten.

@BayrischDude, my OP did include our specific interest in Augsburg. I know at first I mention Baravia in general (as other cities may be a possibility), but to clarify, the post title reads that we are looking to live near Augsburg and the post says we are considering Augsburg particularly and looking for a location not being too far... for a commute to Augsburg.

If you or anyone has suggestions about locations with a commute no longer than about 40min., I would appreciate it.