subletting room on airbnb

7 posts in this topic

hi, i need some advice on the laws of the country when it comes to subletting rooms and in this case on airbnb. my landlord agreed for me to sublet but I am not sure if it is okay to use airbnb and if i need to deal with some tax laws that comes with it. i would like to hear from students especially if you have hosted your room on airbnb before and if you needed to report your income to some office.. thanks,.

3 minutes ago, msnys said:

... and if i need to deal with some tax laws that comes with it. i

Yes, rental income is taxable in Germany. Also, for short lets you might have to charge VAT, with the whole admin burden that it would entail.

1 hour ago, msnys said:

hi, i need some advice on the laws of the country when it comes to subletting rooms and in this case on airbnb. my landlord agreed for me to sublet but I am not sure if it is okay to use airbnb and if i need to deal with some tax laws that comes with it. i would like to hear from students especially if you have hosted your room on airbnb before and if you needed to report your income to some office.. thanks,.

Its not so much the laws of the country that you need to know about, but the laws of Berlin.

The Berlin Senate passed a law recently with the wonderfully German name of Zweckentfremdungsverbot von Wohnraum (Ban on the misuse of living space) and one of the main aspects of the ban was to reduce or limit the number of dwellings being primarily let to tourists at a time when residents are finding housing to be in short supply.

The law doesn't restrict the subletting of up to 49% of the area of a dwelling but it limits the subletting of a whole dwelling to a maximum of 90 days per annum.

Also, if you intend to advertise on an Internet platform (and the city quote AirBnB and Wimdu as examples) you would need to apply first at the Wohnamt of your Bezirksamt for a permit  (Genehmigung) and a Registriernummer. All Berlin AirBnB ads should include this Registriernummer in the text. The city claim to be actively controlling this and may issue fines to offenders.

Note: To apply for a permit and registration number you need your ID and Mietvertrag and a Genehmigungsgebühr von 225 Euro!!!

As for taxes, that law introduced an Übernachtungssteuer (City Visitors Overnight Tax). As far as I can determine (without downloading xxx PDFs I've no wish to read) there may be stages at which this tax, or the amount, first applies. You can find that out for yourself by reading the relevant info (some of which is actually in English -- Yaay!) from the Senat Finanzverwaltung Übernachtungsteuer (City Tax)

Source info: Fragen und Antworten zum Zweckentfremdungsverbot von Wohnraum / Land Berlin FAQs

My tip: If you're a student, instead of airBnB, try finding suitable visiting subtenants through one of the ASTA traveling students assistance clubs or another exchnge student program organizing group. Could save a lot of admin, fees or city taxes. ;)

In Germany all income received from whatever source is taxable, although if you are single you can earn up to an amount of around 9K€ p.a. before any income tax is levied.

HTH

2B

thanks for the tips and advice everyone. i will make sure that i am doing the right thing. it has not been easy to find someone to rent interim for at least 3 or more months so i thought id use airbnb to get someone to at least rent the room for a minimum of a month.