When you were young, did you have friends that were "Posh"

59 posts in this topic

Did you have friends when you were young and when you went round to their house, they had things you thought were posh.

Was their bookcase bigger than their TV?

Did they have grapes in a bowl when no-one was ill?

Maybe their Dad worked in an office and not in a factory.

Did they have soap like this?

What examples of their decadence can you remember.

soap.jpg

1 hour ago, hooperski said:

Did they have grapes in a bowl when no-one was ill?

I laughed at this one because for us grapes, apples and unfiltered apple juice was what we brought always to someone who was in the hospital.

Back on topic, color TV.  We all had black and white TVs and we used to go on Sundays to visit the friends who had a color TV to watch the only program in color we had on TV (some cartoon called Marco).  We were always like 50 people there watching that amazing technology.

marco.jpg

Having ice cubes in a drink of squash, they had a fridge (we didn't) with an ice box!

If your packed school  lunch  had a banana, orange or tidy sandwiches using store  bought bread

Furniture /dishes in your home matched. 

Had eaten pizza.

Got a new car for 16th birthday or were given a ride to school in such a  car. 

Provided a guest towel.

(edited to make car issue clearer)

Hmm, I didn't... but then, by your definition, I am (and grew up) posh :)

Disclaimer: hoop's posh; no car for me at 16, not even at 18. Had to pay for my own license even, and did so at 30.

Back in the 50s/60s... If anything, my best friend & I were looked on as the posh ones. We both lived in a road with private houses, surrounded by council estates, we both went to the grammar school, as did my older brother. Our families had cars. But, like all our other friends, we had Brummy accents, which my Mom always complained about.

My Mom always put on her 'airs & graces' when we had visitors, so embarrassing...

58 minutes ago, franklan said:

I had a shoebox for my tapes, posh friends had this:

Karusssel.jpg.a8c32df848e1e2432b4f7aaa9e

Wow, that is what I owned, too! But I am younger, so at that times that box was not posh at all.

What was posh: Internet access. I had none, "posh" friends had a dial up modem. There was no Google or Yahoo back then, the Internet was the list of websites in the country. The search engine had just this name, Web List.

Sandwiches made in a sandwich maker.  We the non-posh ones had raw sandwiches in our lunch box.

We ate the school lunches. They were probably about a buck a week per kid and they must have been cheaper than packing or my mom would have packed.

This was our family car:

R4.jpg.b1ee95fbd91cc53e8087b5d64fb192dc.

Posh people had something like this:

jeep.jpg.6e288d8770399cc1ca62e3407a13fd1

(just check how posh they look)

I was quite a privileged kid but in a good way, mostly because of how I was raised up. Since most public schools were/are bad in Greece, my parents (without being millionaires) could afford sending me to a good private school. If you were really interested in learning, you had the best means available and I thank my parents forever for that.

But a good majority of the  kids were politician kids, VIP and extremely rich kids. You can imagine how most of them behaved knowing that their lives were already taken care for.

When I saw some of my classmates, whose IQ and behavior was ...I don't even know how to describe it..., as politician candidates in recent years (just because in Greece it "runs in the family" and you all saw where  it brought us :D ) well it was one more thing to factor when deciding to move to Germany :D

Posh things, I can't even begin to describe. Parties for 10 year-old with shrimp cocktails and caviar canapes :D , entertainment by the most famous TV magicians and singers. One kid had a bodyguard at all times with him. And many many more...

9 minutes ago, Krieg said:

(just check how posh they look)

Looks like the car cost so much, she couldn't afford pants (trousers)...

Or are the two of them sharing one outfit?

Just now, El Jeffo said:

Looks like the car cost so much, she couldn't afford pants (trousers)...

Lol, they had enough for 1 outfit. he got the shorts, she got the blouse :D 

We would have dinner around 1 o'clock and tea at 5 o'clock, posh people had lunch at 1 o'clock and dinner at 7 o'clock.

We never had starters and chicken was only on a Sunday.

6 minutes ago, hooperski said:

We would have dinner around 1 o'clock and tea at 5 o'clock, posh people had lunch at 1 o'clock and dinner at 7 o'clock.

We never had starters and chicken was only on a Sunday.

Likewise. And the very posh people had supper, not dinner, or maybe dinner followed by supper.

Our evening meal was called supper but that wasn't posh ---- simply southern. I think dinner was when you went out somewhere fancy.

I remember my dad barbecuing one chicken for our family of 6. I was the youngest and they convinced me that the burnt wings were the best part. He used to let me squirt the store bought barbecue sauce over with a baster. Memories...

This was the exact rotisserie that we had for chicken and shish kebobs as we called them.

sunbeam.jpg.d612936d13effd9b8a2512217b64

13 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

Our evening meal was called supper but that wasn't posh ---- simply southern. I think dinner was when you went out somewhere fancy.

When I started learning English at school, that was like this:

Frühstück: breakfast

Mittagsessen: dinner

Abendessen: supper

There was no clear distinction between British and American English. I guess we were taught a wild mixture of both.