Can you get kicked out of Germany for shoplifting?

68 posts in this topic

24 minutes ago, MikeMelga said:

That's common sense, so my question is if they have it.

Sorry to be so cynical but there is no guarantee IME. As for your absentmindedness, welcome to the world of the manopause. Sounds just like what a lot of women of a certain age endure... :lol:

@optimista, unfortunately I had that absentmindedness since kid. Actually my worst problems happened when I was a kid, including leaving home in my undies :D and others I don't even dare to say!

Wow. That's quite impressive. I have been out in mismatched shoes before... and ending up in the woods in my slippers. But you can beat that... I know...:lol:

1 hour ago, MikeMelga said:

Problem is, I forget a lot. I start thinking of something and my mind drifts completely. Sometimes I enter the wrong store. And more embarassing things I don't dare posting here :D

My only "wrong store" story is when I went to an electronics store at the mall and insisted that they had a great deal advertised on a laptop and I'd even phoned the store and got the lady to set one aside for me.  After a lot of back and forth of them having no idea what I was talking about and me insisting that they did, I realized it was another store at the same mall.

2 hours ago, MikeMelga said:

Problem is, I forget a lot. I start thinking of something Tesla and my mind drifts completely.

FTFY.

3 hours ago, black1 said:

Keep your cart behind you.

If they ram and keep ramming, look them in the eye, wait 2 seconds and say, it doesn't fit in my arse.  

I keep my cart behind me, but they touch my cart, I think that is like touching me, grr. And they try to get the stuff on the belt as far forward as possible. Better not to make eye contact perhaps. The queue in the food shop is a strange place, I do not want to interact with other shoppers.

But I did help an old lady once, she could not reach the top shelf, I reached something down for her.

On 6/10/2021, 7:59:58, Fietsrad said:

But I did help an old lady once, she could not reach the top shelf, I reached something down for her.

I have been given this opportunity many times, and it is always my absolute pleasure, especially in Germany, where strangers don't talk to each other much and you're terrified to even speak to people who actually *work* in the frigging store when you need help.  Smaller people, old people, fragile grannies, maybe because I am always looking somehow "aufmerksam" they often ask me to get stuff for them and it makes_my_whole_day.  Hard to explain.  I already enjoy being tall and then sometimes it is even useful for something.  Another thing that makes my day is reading packages for people who either don't read German, or don't read at all, or just forgot their glasses.  People seem to like to ask me for help and they have no idea what it does for me.  In this shitty world, to help a stranger for a second, to be asked for help and be able to help... I dunno.  It's good, very good.

Today I gave someone else the opportunity to help me, and it seemed to do him good, too.  At the stupid Bio-Markt in the mall.  He was just minding his business looking at the smoked tofu (oh barf) and I conscripted him to help me decide whether to try out tempeh.  And in the end I didn't buy it and I thanked him for the consultation and although he was a little taken aback at first when I just started talking to him out of the blue, by the end of it, he honestly looked *so* pleased to have been able to help me.  

Uh, back on topic--we had this one already.  I don't know if proving you spend a lot of money in a place is going to help you.  First, because we've (hopefully) already established that people shoplift all the time with money in their pocket, and they almost always pay for most of their stuff.  But for whatever reason, and there are many, they decide that it would be more fun to steal one thing and pay for the rest.  They think that no one will think they are stealing, because they paid for a cart full of stuff.  So, it's not that "but here's proof I wanted to pay" isn't actually valid in some cases, unfortunately though, it's the exact same MO as actual thieves.

Second, because the point of prosecuting or banning shoplifters is not to let them know they've been bad, evil people, but to deter them from doing it again.  The point is that you did it, even if you didn't mean to do it, obviously somehow you've got to learn to pay more attention.  When I hear that Mike says he can't help it, he's absent-minded, I wonder, how hard can it be, you literally have one job at the store--pay for your shit.  But then I also hear that he left the house in his undies and I think... OK, maybe we have an outlier here :D Hope you never have to find out the hard way!

15 minutes ago, dessa_dangerous said:

Second, because the point of prosecuting or banning shoplifters is not to let them know they've been bad, evil people, but to deter them from doing it again.  The point is that you did it, even if you didn't mean to do it, obviously somehow you've got to learn to pay more attention.  When I hear that Mike says he can't help it, he's absent-minded, I wonder, how hard can it be, you literally have one job at the store--pay for your shit.  But then I also hear that he left the house in his undies and I think... OK, maybe we have an outlier here :D Hope you never have to find out the hard way!

I've had even worst. I don't even want to talk about the worst, but I can share a few more:

• Went to a funeral and mistook the dead person for another relative (alive)
  • Sometimes I forget who told me something, and I make fun of that person... in front of that person! Example: a friend's wife told me my cat had great hair, to which I replied "Yeah, but a year ago some stupid veterinarian told me I had to give her special food to maintain the great hair". Unfortunately, she was the veterinary...
  • Sometimes I show up in a store or a cafe and I don't recall getting there
  • Once I kept driving for 100km before I realized something was wrong. And I'm the human-map guy, I know my turns
  • I lost 2 umbrellas in the same day

Blimey, Mike😂

Wait 20 years or so and start having fun with " senior moments.🤪😖😂"

21 minutes ago, john g. said:

Blimey, Mike😂

Wait 20 years or so and start having fun with " senior moments.🤪😖😂"

Yeah, although I think they will be overlapping effects.

I've been absent mind since a kid, so it's not something associated with age. I just get super focused on some topic and forget all rest.

It's getting much better with age, as I have to manage a team, so I can't focus on coding all day long, so I learn more and more to watch my surroundings.

My Nicole is also meanwhile sometimes more and more absent-minded. Mislays her reading and/or driving glasses about ten times a day. She basically ends up buying a cheap pair of glasses in town  everytime we go shopping so she can read prices etc.  I love the phrase she uses when she's angry with herself about that : " Ich vergesse meinen Arsch."

😂

@MikeMelga - have you ever seen a doctor about your forgetfulness? Sounds to me like you have a very severe case, and there really could be something wrong with you... (I dunno really, as I am not a Doc!)

That said, even with your "condition", the Discount stores will certainly file all paperwork possible and ban you from their stores - not sure about the others, but I would kind of assume that they would react similarly...

I friend of mine had a security job at a supermarket in Poland, he had to watch people and remind them to pay for the items they "forgot". I don't know about the law in Poland, but the policy of that particular supermarket was not to escalate it to the police if the customer recognizes "a mistake" and pays.

He told me how creative people were using really cheap tricks. But as a result of that he had a job.

You steal = all prices are increased accordingly to account for that.

It seems to me that, e.g. in REWE they keep the prices a but higher than elsewhere but zero security, zero checking. Shoplifting is already included in prices of goods.

4 minutes ago, yourkeau said:

e.g. in REWE they keep the prices a but higher than elsewhere but zero security

definitely not the case in Berlin.  In fact, they have SO much security, they go chasing down innocent people who haven't stolen anything at all.  In recent years this reached my wider circles a couple of times.  And they did not offer apologies or restitution or anything of the sort.  

On 10.6.2021, 19:59:58, Fietsrad said:

Since I am well over 6 foot tall I have often (well - occasionally) been asked to help fetch something from the top shelf.

One famous occasion was ca. year 2000 when together with my then manager boarding a Lufthansa A340 for Chicago en route to Denver.

We were last on board & I was packing my Pilotenkoffer into the overhead compartment when a miniature LF stewardess appeared at my side & asked if she could help.

Needless to say I said I could manage but when she asked if she could do anything else I suggested an invite to the cockpit - which I got (for take-off).

Sat the other side of the aisle was my manager's manager - my manager leant across and said "HEM will do the take-off" to which the senior guy was rather puzzled / worried since I did not reappear & the engines started...

On 10/06/2021, 20:59:58, Fietsrad said:

I keep my cart behind me, but they touch my cart, I think that is like touching me, grr. And they try to get the stuff on the belt as far forward as possible. Better not to make eye contact perhaps. The queue in the food shop is a strange place, I do not want to interact with other shoppers.

" But I did help an old lady once."

Do you know how funny that sounds!? ONCE🤪😂

17 hours ago, MikeMelga said:

I've had even worst. I don't even want to talk about the worst...

Oh please, pretty please, do share. We all promise to be kind. And not exploit your vulnerabilities. Or snigger audibly on screen. Honest. Come now... open up... you can do it...

15 hours ago, robinson100 said:

@MikeMelga - have you ever seen a doctor about your forgetfulness? Sounds to me like you have a very severe case, and there really could be something wrong with you... (I dunno really, as I am not a Doc!)

That said, even with your "condition", the Discount stores will certainly file all paperwork possible and ban you from their stores - not sure about the others, but I would kind of assume that they would react similarly...

Rob! A little bird told me Mike has made several doc appointments for that issue but forgot to turn up for them.🤪

17 hours ago, john g. said:

My Nicole is also meanwhile sometimes more and more absent-minded. Mislays her reading and/or driving glasses about ten times a day. She basically ends up buying a cheap pair of glasses in town  everytime we go shopping so she can read prices etc.  I love the phrase she uses when she's angry with herself about that : " Ich vergesse meinen Arsch."

😂

John, there’s a simple solution...you help Nicole and remember her glasses for her.  My husband used to do this for me before I had to wear glasses permanently.  It was sweet of him.  I even forgot mine when we went to buy my engagement ring...major fail!  He however, remembered for me and the day was saved...lovely ring too!