Can you get kicked out of Germany for shoplifting?

68 posts in this topic

22 hours ago, Adem137 said:

Everytime you go into a supermarket in Germany they check your trolley / backpack at the checkout. How is that any better?

Have you considered that it may have something to do with you personally as I have never been stopped in any supermarket anywhere in Germany.

If you're getting stopped everytime perhaps you ought to;

A: consider changing your appearance?

B: shop online?

C: leave Germany?

That's interesting; maybe something to do with where you shop / cashier on duty?

Where I live, there's an Aldi on the lower floor and a Rewe on the street level.

I usually do my first round at Aldi for bulk-buying stuff, and more often than not, the cashier would ask me to lift my bag / Korb that's sitting in the trolley so she can check if anything's under.

Then I proceed to Rewe with the same trolley fully packed with stuff I bought in Aldi, I just pile the items I want to buy at the Rewe on top of the Aldi stuff, load it on the conveyor belt and that's it. No one ever, ever asked me to look in my trolley or check the receipt at Rewe...

Weird. Maybe at the Aldi they consider me as a potential hazard due to wearing tracksuits and sneakers among all the well-dressed old age pensioners doing their daily bargain-hunting :huh: 

9 minutes ago, dotinwiesbaden said:

Weird. Maybe at the Aldi they consider me as a potential hazard due to wearing tracksuits and sneakers among all the well-dressed old age pensioners doing their daily bargain-hunting :huh: 

Move to Offenbach! EVERYONE wears sweatpants here! ;)

1 minute ago, Smaug said:

Move to Offenbach! EVERYONE wears sweatpants here! ;)

Hahaha NO :D (rather be considered as a potential shoplifter in this nice area, as long as I can afford it ;))

Not wanting to start up a new thread for this, but for any students out there, please take a shopping trolley and be super careful when out shopping.

As some of you know, I work in a discount store, and over the past weeks we have had two students who have totally "forgotten" to pay for the goods they have already put in their bags, presumably due to exam stress.

Take a shopping trolley, put everything that you intend to buy into it, and put everything on the conveyor belt at the till.

Pretty simple advice here, but it can save you an enormous amount of stress!

31 minutes ago, robinson100 said:

As some of you know, I work in a discount store, and over the past weeks we have had two students who have totally "forgotten" to pay for the goods they have already put in their bags, presumably due to exam stress.

Ok, serious question. I'm the kind of guy that gets distracted often and either leaves things behind (very often) or take it without paying (once). I dread the day I forget to pay something at the supermarket. Since I have a store pay card, and my monthly expenses are high, would that be seen as some kind of "proof" that I had no intention?

I'm sure this point was used before as an argument...

No, having proof that you're often in the store may suggest that this is simply the first time they caught you.

IMHO it depends on the manager on the day. They have a good day, you'll walk. They had a bad day, it's bracelets and swedish curtains for you 

I spend almost 800€ per month on that store, they can track it on the store card easily. Are you telling me that if I forget an item on the cart they will escalate that easily?

4 minutes ago, MikeMelga said:

I spend almost 800€ per month on that store, they can track it on the store card easily.

Actually, they can't (Datenschutz) and not allowed to. 

6 minutes ago, MikeMelga said:

Are you telling me that if I forget an item on the cart they will escalate that easily?

They will. What happens next depends on your communication skills. Maybe nothing, maybe they will file Anzeige, you never know. 

Either use a shopping cart or order online delivery. 

Hit the wrong manager with the wrong attitude and yes, they'll call the cops.

Be apologetic, contrite, humble and if the manager recognizes you and believes you, you might get away with a warning. 

But as I said previously, they may think you do this all the time and you simply have always got away with it in the past. 

Some stores have a policy about thefts. Then the manager has to act otherwise it's seen as favoritism. 

11 minutes ago, MikeMelga said:

I spend almost 800€ per month on that store, they can track it on the store card easily. Are you telling me that if I forget an item on the cart they will escalate that easily?

It's very difficult to forget an item placed on the shopping cart, and if that happens chances are that it's so small and that it got itself so well hidden that nobody else can see it anyway. Their alarm bells ring mostly when someone starts using a backpack, a jacket or something similar in lieu of the cart. 

1 hour ago, robinson100 said:

Not wanting to start up a new thread for this, but for any students out there, please take a shopping trolley and be super careful when out shopping.

Take a shopping trolley, put everything that you intend to buy into it, and put everything on the conveyor belt at the till.

Pretty simple advice here, but it can save you an enormous amount of stress!

This is good advice.

Always remember that it is the shoppers responsibility to pay for what they want to take out of the store.

Yes, people forget but that is what the people who didn't forget usually say as well.

Another case of the few asshats making it hard for the rest of us.

53 minutes ago, mtbiking said:

It's very difficult to forget an item placed on the shopping cart, and if that happens chances are that it's so small and that it got itself so well hidden that nobody else can see it anyway.

Absolutely.

I once overlooked a tiny item in the trolley at Lidl and went through, was at the point of paying and the cashier noticed it and pointed it out. We both went very red as I thanked her in a shocked way, fished it out and she added it to the total.

She has no real way of knowing if I was secretly miffed that my scheme failed, or somewhat horrified at what might nearly have happened with the attendant complications.

When heavily pregnant I shoplifted often but thankfully my husband knew what was going on and retrieved and paid for the random (usually vegetables ^_^) items. Presumably I also shopped alone, in which case, who knows? But thankfully never an issue.

I stopped using a backpack for shopping after a dude on here was accused of shoplifting. It's too dodgy.

1 hour ago, kiplette said:

I once overlooked a tiny item in the trolley at Lidl and went through, was at the point of paying and the cashier noticed it and pointed it out. We both went very red as I thanked her in a shocked way, fished it out and she added it to the total.

I'm sure this happens multiple times a day in any busy store. When using their shopping carts, everything is in plain view and the cashiers are supposed to have a look. Many have mirrors for that purpose.

I remember back in the day when I left an item in the cart a few times. That was when I was getting used to throwing everything on the band as fast as possible, paying and bagging my own groceries. I never had to do that before. I was always in a tizzy at the check out. Now I don't give a shit and take my time.

I always shop into my own open cart now. No probs.

p.s. I really like the distancing these days so nobody is ramming their cart up my ass. I hope it continues.

10 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

I don't give a shit and take my time.

Yep.

10 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

I really like the distancing these days so nobody is ramming their cart up my ass.

Double yep.

@MM: you surprise me a bit. Think you are a "special customer"? Seems to be less and less intelligent, humane application of the roolz these days. It is really best to check twice and just avoid the scenario. Expecting to be believed these days is a bit naive. I think it is a result of our increasingly individualist, isolationist society.

3 hours ago, optimista said:

@MM: you surprise me a bit. Think you are a "special customer"? 

This is known as entitlement.

5 hours ago, fraufruit said:

p.s. I really like the distancing these days so nobody is ramming their cart up my ass. I hope it continues.

Keep your cart behind you.

If they ram and keep ramming, look them in the eye, wait 2 seconds and say, it doesn't fit in my arse.  

I can't remember having left an item in the cart that I didn't pay for but it happens sometimes that I've bought something, it's on my receipt but it doesn't end up coming home with me. :blink:

3 times I've found things in my trolley that I hadn't paid for. Small things, a sachet or something, but always really small. Twice, I ran back into the supermarket to pay the person on the check-out, but one time, there were lines of people waiting to pay and I decided not to do it, I still feel a bit guilty about that.

5 hours ago, optimista said:

@MM: you surprise me a bit. Think you are a "special customer"? Seems to be less and less intelligent, humane application of the roolz these days. It is really best to check twice and just avoid the scenario. Expecting to be believed these days is a bit naive. I think it is a result of our increasingly individualist, isolationist society.

If you buy 150-250€ per visit and forget some 1€ garlic at the bottom, I do hope it's different from a guy that tries to sneak 25€ worth of razors when buying  zuccinni.

That's common sense, so my question is if they have it.

Problem is, I forget a lot. I start thinking of something and my mind drifts completely. Sometimes I enter the wrong store. And more embarassing things I don't dare posting here :D