Asking for a raise as a student (Werkstudent)?

6 posts in this topic

Hi all, I'm currently a masters student in Berlin working an office job part time (if relevant, am not EU national, thus have capped hours). I'm 18 months in, thus already having passed the Probezeit and the yearly review (good reviews, but my work is quite autonomous, expected for a student). My salary is €9.50 hourly, and I recently talked with a friend who revealed she made around €11 (German national, masters, different field). I'm thinking that's actually around the average for student salaries around here, and I'd like to perhaps ask for a raise to this average. The company is a huge multinational and our office is currently expanding, so that probably isn't an issue, but would you guys recommend this move, and how should I go about approaching the boss with this request? Thanks  :D

Your 9,50€ per hour are tax exempt as you are a student working part time, aren't they? That sounds pretty decent for a student doing a part time office job.

The friend's (with a master's degree) 11€, are they before or after tax? Either way, it sounds too low.

6 hours ago, Pandekage said:

My salary is €9.50 hourly, and I recently talked with a friend who revealed she made around €11 (German national, masters, different field). I'm thinking that's actually around the average for student salaries around here, and I'd like to perhaps ask for a raise to this average.

It is not bad for a student in Berlin. You can ask for a raise, but very often large companies have a standard rate for students. The universities in Berlin pay about 11€/hour for HiWi positions.

5 hours ago, franklan said:

The friend's (with a master's degree) 11€, are they before or after tax? Either way, it sounds too low.

11€/ hour too low for a student job? Please remember this is Berlin we are talking about.

9 hours ago, franklan said:

Your 9,50€ per hour are tax exempt as you are a student working part time, aren't they? That sounds pretty decent for a student doing a part time office job.

Hmm a bit confused, so the 9,50€ for me is around the expected rate, but the 11€ from my friend is too low?

Even bachelor students make around 11€ working at a university in Berlin. Youre tax free up to a yearly allowance of around 8k as a student, regardless of hourly wage. 

If you just want to earn more money and you're both fit enough and not too proud to sweat you might want to see if there're any vacancies tossing luggage around at one of the airports or loading/unloading trucks at one of the packet distro firms like DPD, UPS, DHL, GPS etc..

Because a lot of that work is done at night and on weekends you might be able to get between 12 - 16 € with the Zuschläge. 

Otherwise...

13 hours ago, Pandekage said:

how should I go about approaching the boss with this request?

probably best on your knees from behind with your tongue extended at ass-height. ;):lol:

2B