Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

What is the best honey (honig) to buy in Germany?

32 posts in this topic

Hallo guys,

I know this is an old post,

Can you recommend the best German honey to buy please?

it has to be raw - NOT Manuka :-) and better if they have online shop please,

I already did my homework, found few brands that have good reputation:

1- Echter Deutscher Honig, by many sellers, e.g.: Meinhonig 

2- Breitsamer, (Heide Honig seems the best)

3- Bienenhonig, sold by R Feldt

4- Honig sold by naturprodukte-mv

5- Imkerei Tietjen

Also, in terms of the honey source, is tannenhonig or Heide Honig the best German honey or is there even better?

any other info will be appreciated, many thanks :-) 

honey_zrh_fluida_1.jpg

7 hours ago, royal said:

I know this is an old post

You only just opened it so I wouldn't say it was an old post.

I'd recommend buying the one you can afford which you like most.

As to your response to the replies your post inspired, you should maybe have taken a mental step back first and thought about the reasons why that happened before reacting with misplaced defensivness. You're not Donald Trump so please don't play the petulant prick card.

To be fair, those who replied might well have been as helpful to you as they have been to others many times before if your original post did contain more specific questions or say what you were not looking for.

7 hours ago, royal said:

I already did my homework, found few brands that have good reputation:

1- Echter Deutscher Honig, by many sellers, e.g.: Meinhonig 

2- Breitsamer, (Heide Honig seems the best)

3- Bienenhonig, sold by R Feldt

4- Honig sold by naturprodukte-mv

5- Imkerei Tietjen

1) means Real German Honey and Meinhonig = My Honey (i.e. no-name products)

2) Breitsamer (no idea about the brand but Heide Honig is from bees raised in heathland)

3) Bienenhonig merely means Bee's Honey (whoever its sold by)

4) Honey sold by Natur(al) products in Mecklenburg-Vorpommern

And that's a pretty meaningless piece of non-descriptive info.

5) Beekeeper Tietjen - Another meaningless pair of words.

You see, if you'd handed that homework to most of the teachers that TTers had you'd have had it returned with a lot of notes in red ink and if you'd objected you'd have been headed for detention.

Bee

that as it may...

Finding the best honey to suit your own individual taste* and health requirements is a very subjective task which nobody but you can do.

Sure, you could go read 100s of articles and find out what 100s of different foodies or journos or food critics or bio-chemists found to be the best in their opinions but, because we're talking about a natural product which, even from the same source, varies according to the changing availability of plant life, until you actually taste* or eat the product you cannot know which will actually be the best for you.

*BTW taste does not necessarily only refer to flavour and, as a verb, to the act of tasting. It is also used to refer to preference.

I only mentioned that because your response here suggested you'd misunderstood the point @someonesdaughter was making.

Is chocolate ice cream "the best" or is it vanilla? 

Irrelevant metaphor, I'm asking about healing properties and health benefits, I didn't mention taste at all :-)

Tannenhonig comes from bees raised in conifer wooded areas. Tannen being fir trees. Heide Honig from bees raised in heathland areas.

People who live in or near heathlands probably believe that is the best source although the same is probably true for those who live around conifer woods. There are many other regional sources availble to choose from, each one having its own lobby of firm believers.

Here's a tip. When searching for info from or about Germany do not use www.google.com but instead use www.google.de which will give you primarily Germany-based results

Here's another - the first dozen or so of the 29000 results in this search for Beekeepers near Augsburg are either the local bee-keepers association or individual bee-keepers from which you can buy their products directly. You can even visit a lot of them too.

Small producers like those guys don't need to pasteurise their product like industrial producers do, due to the low risk of cross-contamination.

I've never heard of 'cooked' honey - is it not all 'raw' by definition?

As for filtering, I'm sure you can tell the Imkers you prefer the honeycomb bits and the fly shits left in.

I can't imagine anyone in their right mind would think of adding sugar to a product which is already naturally sweeter than sugar, but perhaps my imagination is more limited than yours.

Welcome to TT, sourpuss royal (jelly?)

Hopefully you'll feel a lot sweeter by the next time you post.:P

2B

I always get my honey from the local Imker (beekeeper)

I think this is best because I know where the bees live, can see their hives, know the beekeeper personally, and there are no travel costs involved in getting the honey.

I find the best is from the local beekeeper. In Germany they seem to have a lot of local beekeepers. (IMKER in German). Great quality and tastes amazing. Just google your local imker/Imkerei. :)

Not sure why my posts got deleted... but if we had an actual reason why they want to find the best honey, maybe I could have helped.

I kept bees with my father for 25yrs in the UK...

A friend just gave me a liter of home-grown honey that he extracted on Saturday.  This is his first haul and it totaled 15 kilos.  He has no idea what to do with all of it.

Get it in the Kitchen aid!!    Beat it and beat it and beat it!!

Get as much air into it as you can!!   Its delish!!!   Creamed Honey!

He should be able to get 1o-12€ per kilo....  

Sell it at the Viktualien Markt!    

yeah but that's more work for him.  He started beekeeping this year just as a hobby, not for profit, but while he knew he would have honey as a result, I think it's just now sinking in exactly HOW MUCH he's going to have to unload. 

15 kilos from a single box...he started with one box and already had to start a second box after just a couple of months.  As a beekeeper yourself, @SpiderPigI'm sure you understand the predicament?

So far he plans to offer it first to his immediate neighbors (at no cost...a gesture to thank them for putting up with the bees) and friends (just because) then who knows.  His concern at the moment is that he thinks the honey has too much water content, which causes it to ferment, and he thinks he'd have to process or package it further to make it shelf stable for sale. 

It looks fine to me - doesn't seem watery or thin at all - but what do I know?  I see lots of honey in my future though :) 

oh yeah, my vote for the best honey ever:  Tupelo.

the flavor profile is really unique - it's so floral and even a bit spicy.  Sadly it's a "deep south" thing in the US...I've never seen it here and don't expect to :/

The bees decide on the water content...

Warm honey is always very runny.... cold honey is less fluid.  That why we had to put the frames in warmers before extraction of honey...

As for "He started it as a Hobby" is just a bonkers expression... Was he thinking that he could tell the bees to gather less nectar? :lol:

yes I know how honey behaves warm and cold.  It just doesn't seem at all "runny" at current ambient temperatures.  I've had it in the fridge and it's quite stiff - it doesn't even hint at running.

I'm with you on your last comment - but he set out wanting to keep bees for "sport", not profit.  Of course he knows they'll make honey and he's happy to have it, but he had no idea *how much* honey they would make in so little time.  It's one thing to think "yeah, bees make honey!", but I don't think what you're dealing with quite hits home til you have a 15 kg bucket of it sitting in front of you ;)

He'll figure it out, but it's a funny problem to have, no doubt.

This is typical of so many "locals"... they start someting without thinking of the consequences

Did he think... "Oh, I get some bees and a hive ... then I am sure for the first month or so they will want to settle in,.. buzz around and get to know the neighbours and do a spot of painting and decorating in the hive and then get started when all is tickety boo?

Just wait until he hasnt managed his hive correctly and 2 new queens hatch at the same time!   Then all hell lets lose!

ok that's going a bit far.  

he joined a bee verein and started taking classes with them long before he got his first hive.  No, he didn't think any of the things you propose - he's not stupid, he's just, as I already said *twice* now, very surprised at the sheer volume of honey.

But I'm sure you knew EVERYTHING there was to know about beekeeping before your dad taught you all about it, right?  I'm SURE you did ;)

smoochies

wow!

You can learn something (which should have been obvious) every day on TT!

I've been in possesion of "Tupelo Honey" since 1972 and yet, until I read this...

2 hours ago, lisa13 said:

the best honey ever:  Tupelo.

the flavor profile is really unique - it's so floral and even a bit spicy. 

I believe I thought it was the name of a place coupled to a term of endearment. :lol:

To be fair though, unless there was a printed copy supplied,

it was never easy to hear exactly what all the lyrics were

when the singer was Van Morrison.

So there are Tupelo trees in the South Eastern USA and

those trees

chose bees

whose fließ

Van did please

to make money

from some Honey

that wasn't his squeeze.

It'd be interesting to read a few more tidbits from @SpiderPig's 1st hand Bee-conomix. I'm curious how often you'd need to disturb them to prevent 2 queens hatching and what would happen if they did.

2Bee OrNot2Buzzzzzzz off now.

I actually find all this quite fascinating. Perhaps this is due to all the reports about how critical bees are to our life here on earth and how their dwindling numbers and possible extinction (?) could lead to the end of things as we know it. Don't know if this is doomsday thinking or reasonable concern.

The best honey I've ever had came from ... a beekeeper on a peninsula called Pelion in Greece. Was, and still is, quite expensive and rightly regarded as a luxury item there. Excellent stuff and perfect with the local yoghurt.

Best in Germany? From an Imker near our holiday place in the deep, dark, Black Forest. Also fairly expensive - about 6 or 7 euros for a 500g jar.

A question, or two, for the experts: (eg @SpiderPig)

What does, "Herkunft: Mischung von Honig aus EU and nicht EU Ländern" mean? Seen on the label of the honey we get from Rewe (and Aldi?). Surely this is complete nonsense and someone is taking the piss? The actual honey seems fine, but is it really just cheap crap with God-knows-what shit added to it?

27 minutes ago, Aussiedog said:

Perhaps this is due to all the reports about how critical bees are to our life here on earth and how their dwindling numbers and possible extinction (?) could lead to the end of things as we know it. Don't know if this is doomsday thinking or reasonable concern.

insects in general are taking a massive plunge in numbers the last years.

Even two years ago, at this time of year my garden was teeming with bees and other pollinators.  Today I was on the terrace for about an hour with my coffee, I saw one single bee in that time.  ONE.  I've got plenty of flowers in bloom.  One bee.

I'm not sure where you draw the line between "doomsday" and "reasonable concern" but this does not bode well.  No joke.

that german passage means the honey comes from producers inside AND outside of the EU.  Why would Aldi be taking the piss?  What did you think it means?