Buying car seats / boosters online in Germany? Where?

13 posts in this topic

Hi Toytown parents

Hoping someone "in the know" can help.  I need to get some car seats organised.  We will be coming to Germany in a month, and have a car organised and purchased already.  A gorgeous (hahaha) 7-seater, capable of fitting our family of five plus luggage. 

I have been reading up on car seat requirements in Germany and from what I can tell, I'm going to need to buy three booster seats.  My kids are almost 10, 8 and 6.5.  I think they need full-backed boosters but I'm finding it hard to get definite answers from google.

I thought I might buy them online and have them delivered to my relatives who have the car waiting for us.  Where is the best place to buy them?  And if you can recommend any seats in particular, that'd be cool.

Thanks so much!

Hi @Isa77

It might help others to help you if you mention the Make, Model and Year of the car in question. Some cars specific dimensions or other factors may limit choice options.

Mentioning your intended location may bring suggestions of local suppliers who could be lower-profile online but might offer trial fitting and free exchange.

2B

1 hour ago, sluzup said:

Mytoys - advice on buying car seats

I have bought seats from Mytoys in the past.  The above link gives you advice (in German) on  what you need and then links to the relevant products.  The main point with fitting is whether the car has Isofix or not. 

Also worth checking for a mytoys discount code on google.de.  'mytoys Gutschein' usually comes up with valid 10-20% discount codes. Check the Amazon.de prices too...sometimes even less.

Thanks for your help :-) the car is a ford galaxy, I'll find out what year (it was bought on our behalf). We pick it up from Stuttgart, and start our adventures there. And hope to find somewhere to settle in Germany or Austria for a while - job dependant. Exciting!

I didn't think booster seats needed fitting like full car seats do. 

Your kids don't need high-backed booster seats; backless booster seats will do, too, according to the law. Discount supermarkets (Aldi, Lidl, etc.) often have them on offer in-store and/or online; they're all approved for use but look out for ones with memory foam on the bottom; the others tend to be too hard on little bottoms (say my kids, anyway).  Lidl has two different models available online at the moment: one cheaper and one more expensive

On 6/9/2018, 7:33:15, sluzup said:

Mytoys - advice on buying car seats

I have bought seats from Mytoys in the past.  The above link gives you advice (in German) on  what you need and then links to the relevant products.  The main point with fitting is whether the car has Isofix or not. 

We, and other parents I know, have used MyToys.de, Amazon.de, and babyone.  

We looked around, found some that seemed to meet our requirements, checked there are compatible with our cars, and then shopped around to get the best price.

9 hours ago, liebling said:

Your kids don't need high-backed booster seats; backless booster seats will do, too, according to the law. 

That would be the legal point of view, yes, they legally only need a simple booster.    But boosters are good only for short rides in the city, for long rides or chances of accident at high speeds a full kid seat with sides protection is better.   And kids sleep in the car, specially small ones, so having a kid seat is much better for this, otherwise you will have kids falling to the sides all the time.

I would stick to kid seats until they are around 12 y/o and use boosters only for short rides.

Amazon is reliable too. We bought our car and bike seats there.

Have you checked whether the van has boosters built in? Some do and I expect vans seating so many might?

The Galaxy will be great as you can fit all three kids comfortably in the second row with booster seats. The seats are wide and I think any seats will fit. In our S-Max we have a high-back booster (Römer KID plus) in the middle and a backless booster on either side. ADAC does testing and ratings that you can look up. Ordering from Amazon would probably be easiest so your relatives don't have to go shopping for you, and it'll save you time when you arrive.