Best place to live if you work in Rot if you're childless and a bit older?

9 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

Hello from Vancouver Canada! I am looking for some advice on where to live. I work for German software company SAP and will be relocating from Vancouver to the Sankt Leon-Rot office in August. It will be just my partner and I as we have no children and are in our 30s 40s. So our best party making days are somewhat past us, but we still love living in town where the action is. We love meeting friends for food and drink and exploring food and cultural scene of a city. We currently live in the trendy Vancouver neighborhood of Yaletown and would love to find a similarly trendy neighborhood.

I will be working out of the Sankt Leon-Rot SAP office and I hope to be able to mostly commute by S-bahn but have the option to drive if necessary, maybe 65% train adn 35% drive.

Currently we are considering Karlsruhe, Mannheim and Heidelberg, in that order. Sandra is German (living in Canada for past 10 years) and I am Chinese-Canadian, so would love to keep multicultural/race tolerance in mind as well... I speak about "bar level" German, but will definitely sign up for night school.

Would appreciate any insights or recommendations!

Thanks everyone eh!

Karl

Welcome to Toytown, Karl

Due to the number of English-speakers recruited by SAP from abroad, several threads in the last few years have dealt with most aspects of your enquiry.

In addition there are lots of informative posts within other threads about transport to SAP and other local issues like public admin (e.g registering, driving license exchanges, recycling trash, etc.), utility provision, shopping, tourism, social activities, English-speaking craft service providers and medical practises, etc., etc..

In order to help all new readers find such information more easily by limiting the number of duplicated topic threads, everyone is encouraged to exhaust the resources of the google-supported site search before opening any new thread topic.

If you don't actually find a tailor-made answer to a specific unique question it usually works best to post that question in a topic which most closely matches the theme. New posts on old threads automatically appear on the Latest Activity page which is where most established TTers land when logging in.

Very few TTers start by landing on one of the regional- or other sub-forums thus reducing the chances of early exposure and leading to first responses taking time, occasionally weeks or more!

Since most who'd previously posted on it would also get a pop-up notification, they may be more inclined to read and respond to such a post than they might be when they see a newbie open a new thread exposing their not having researched the site for info previously (often very recently) provided.

Putting "St. Leon Rot" in the search box (top right) brings up links to 70 posts. Some of them are similar OPs to yours, just hiding under whatever title they fooled the editor-bot with. Here's 2 examples to kick off with...

Getting an apartment in St. Leon-Rot
Working in St. Leon Rot, looking for a place to live nearby ...

HTH

Good luck with your move and resettlement!

2B

Karl,

you should first decide, how much time are you willing to spend for commuting.

I mean, 1hr in the morning 8h+ at SAP, 1hr in the afternoon, would you be in the mood to "explore the food and cultural scene"?

I am too old for long commutes. When we bought a house the prerequisite was, that it was in bike distance to work and the S-bahn.

I would look at a map and select place with an S-Bahn station, or little towns in bike distance.

As a town I would suggest Heidelberg. A lot of tourist and many students from other countries. As a "trendy" suburb Handschuhsheim comes into my mind.

Have a look at www.immobilienscout24.de to check where decent appartments are available and whethern they fit into your budget.

I will now get me a Campari and sit down on our terrace beneath our little pond.

As I wrote in this thread, there are plenty of places along the S-Bahn line that will you bring you to St. Leon Rot S-bahn stop. For a hip, childless, late 30s couple who likes the vibe of the city, I wouldn't recommend any small towns (so no St. Leon Rot, no Walldorf, no Bruchsal, Sandhausen).

I don't know too much about about the hip neighborhoods in Kalrsruhe. Maybe Durlach, and...

KA is on the S-bahn line, which stops in St. Leon Rot, so just a food for thought. Driving is a nightmare though. The A5 is crap around Karlsruhe.

So that leaves us with Heidelberg, then Mannheim.

Check out this thread for best areas to live in Heidelberg and Mannheim: https://www.toytowngermany.com/forum/topic/186824-best-areas-to-live-in-heidelberg/?page=1

If you lived near the train station in Mannheim, meaning you can WALK there in 10 minutes, then you'll have at least a 1 hr commute door-to-door), one way. The drive is shorter of course, and there are several different routes to get you to Rot, but your commute might still be 40 minutes.

If that commute is too long and daunting for you, I would say you guys might be happier in Heidelberg. But if you live in the hipper neighborhoods of Neunheim or Handschuhsheim, then you're still a 15 minute tram ride to the HD train station. To cut your commute down (either by car or train), then you'd be wise to live near the train station, so Weststadt or Bergheim, which are still hip, but in a different way. Or, move to the Kircheim/Rohrbach areas - a bit sleepier, but then you're only a short tram-ride to central Heidelberg.

Or maybe Schwetzingen as an alternative might be nice, but only if you have a car.

On 08/06/2018, 20:46:59, AnswerToLife42 said:

you should first decide, how much time are you willing to spend for commuting.

Great point! It is something I have been dreading, the commute that is. I chose to live in downtown in Vancouver for that reason. My current commute is 10 minutes walk, 5 minutes if you are lucky with the traffic lights...

With SAP being in Walldorf and St Leon-Rot, I guess that is something I just need to live with. Hey, I chose to date a German in Canada :-)

We will have temporary housing in Heidelberg and will wait till we get there to walk around these towns/cities to get a feel for them. One of my colleague also suggested Bad Schönborn as is raising family there. While close to Rot, I think that is a little too rural for us.

Will check out Handschuhsheim for sure.

Thanks for the tips!

On 08/06/2018, 22:38:28, Elfenstar said:

As I wrote in this thread, there are plenty of places along the S-Bahn line that will you bring you to St. Leon Rot S-bahn stop. For a hip, childless, late 30s couple who likes the vibe of the city, I wouldn't recommend any small towns (so no St. Leon Rot, no Walldorf, no Bruchsal, Sandhausen).

Thank you very much for taking the time to share this info with me, I really appreciate it.

As I mentioned to AnswerToLife42, my current commute is about 5 minute walking, so I think no matter what it will be require some painful readjustments.

We actually saw a few really cool looking new developments in Durlach on Immo24. Though as others mentioned, s-bahn commute would still be very long and driving would not be great due to traffic. We will check the community out when we land.

We saw some new developments around the Hbf of both Heidelberg and Mannheim. I think the one in Heidelberg is called Heidelberg Villiage. We like these new developments, I wonder if anyone on here knows anything about these new sites. We will definitely check out Weststadt or Bergheim.

Thank you again for taking the time!

Karl

16 hours ago, DixieFlatline said:

...We saw some new developments around the Hbf of both Heidelberg and Mannheim. I think the one in Heidelberg is called Heidelberg Villiage. We like these new developments, I wonder if anyone on here knows anything about these new sites...

Around the Heidelberg train station (Hauptbahnhof) is a relatively new housing development with quite a modern flair called the Bahnstadt. I say relatively new because, IIRC, the first people moved in about 3-4 years ago. And the area has been developed and expanded since then. Although I know folks who live in the Bahnstadt, their feelings are mixed. Most are simply annoyed at the price of rent and feel they are paying way too much, but know that there's nothing cheaper available. Others find the area "sterile" and "boring", but then say "well, with kids it's perfect". Most of my friends who live there have kids. They're glad they have a parking space and 3 bedrooms and a kindergarten and school nearby and some even ride their bikes to work (in Walldorf). Most have gotten used to the Bahnstadt, but prior to this, as singles and couples without children, they lived in the hipper neighborhoods of Heidelberg and wanted desperately to stay, but with their new families, couldn't find anything affordable with 3 or 4 bedrooms.

The same will be with the new developments near the Mannheim train station. You'll get modern layouts with no flair of the older neighborhoods. 

And Bad Schönborn is a village. Great for families (or those who simply like urban areas).

I don't know what housing looks like in Vancouver, but a lot of the cool, "hip" areas have older buildings, some renovated in the inside, but look older on the outside.

20 hours ago, DixieFlatline said:

Thank you very much for taking the time to share this info with me, I really appreciate it.

As I mentioned to AnswerToLife42, my current commute is about 5 minute walking, so I think no matter what it will be require some painful readjustments.

We actually saw a few really cool looking new developments in Durlach on Immo24. Though as others mentioned, s-bahn commute would still be very long and driving would not be great due to traffic. We will check the community out when we land.

We saw some new developments around the Hbf of both Heidelberg and Mannheim. I think the one in Heidelberg is called Heidelberg Villiage. We like these new developments, I wonder if anyone on here knows anything about these new sites. We will definitely check out Weststadt or Bergheim.

Thank you again for taking the time!

Karl

Heidelberg Village is nearly all rented despite the fact that they still advertise them on ImmoScout24. Best email them and ask which ones are still free if any. But at 14 euro per sqm it is one of the more expensive areas of Heidelberg along with Neuenheim.

13 hours ago, rhody said:

Heidelberg Village is nearly all rented despite the fact that they still advertise them on ImmoScout24. Best email them and ask which ones are still free if any.

Isn't Heidelberg Village the one where people couldn't move in because of a lack of doors and balconies and no permission to use it as housing from the Bauamt?