Tips for getting an einbürgerung appointment in Berlin?

30 posts in this topic

@dcassus Yes they have changed the time slots, AFAIK they release them just after midnight in the night between Mon and Tue (and another night, I forgot which, I think Wed/Thu?). Or at least that was the case end of Nov / beginning of December. Luckily I am now "in the system" so they give me appointments there and then when the inevitable piece of paper work is missing or wrong.

On 26/01/2019, 09:51:39, CaptainKurt said:

Then she asks about integration course and I go "er... I don't need that, I'm quite integrated, I'm not from China or Iran, or Uzbequistan". (no offense, but I was just trying to prove I'm from a friendly very christian western nation that shares pretty much all the german values).

Jesus Christ man, if you are studying public policies and come out with crap like that you better ask for your money back...

I found the lady very nice, kurt but in that no-nonsense Berliner way, no offence meant, and very helpful.

For the application, I need to translate some documents. What kind of certified translators I need to go to?

You need a "beglaubigte Übersetzung" from a "vereidigter Übersetzer". There are many in Berlin, ask for quotes from several - one that is advertised here on Toytown wanted 90 EUR and others only 35, for the same document! 

2 hours ago, libuz said:

For the application, I need to translate some documents. What kind of certified translators I need to go to?

1 hour ago, kayw said:

You need a "beglaubigte Übersetzung" from a "vereidigter Übersetzer". There are many in Berlin, ask for quotes from several - one that is advertised here on Toytown wanted 90 EUR and others only 35, for the same document! 

I normally get mine done at Intertext. They come with the beglaubigte thingy (but always remind them anyway) They're in the building next to the Generator Hotel, right at S-Bahn Landsberger Allee. They work with translators of pretty much any language. But they only take cash. They're very nice.

Which documents did you need to translate? The person in the Amt marked me the Geburtsurkunde/n to bring it translated. But the translator that I contacted told me that I need to translate also my citizenship, which also makes sense. Should I then translate also citizenship just to be safe?

It really depends how confident you feel discussing this stuff with your case worker at the amt and how much you want to go back to the amt if they change their mind.

There SHOULD be no need for you to do anything other than the stuff on your list from the person in the Amt, but when dealing with German bureaucracy it sometimes pays to be ready for the unexpected.

If it is urgent that you get your Naturalisation as quickly as possible then I would get the citizenship stuff translated 'Just in case'.

If it isn't urgent and you have time then you could save the cost of the translation now, and just get it done later if they decide that they need it.

I went to my local Bezirksamt to make the application for Citizenship today.

I was told that I would have to give up my British Citizenship because I could not be given an appointment before 31 October 2019.

They gave me the necessary paperwork for what I need to bring for my next appointment but I am to ring back in November to make it.

I came out scratching me head thinking hang on the UK is still in the EU so why should I agree to this now I should still at least have some rights.

Anyone got any ideas what to do?

As you will see if you search through this topic, there is quite a wide discrepancy between the various Bezirke in Berlin when it comes to getting an appointment in the first place and then the actual processing time. As a general rule they tell every applicant that they cannot guarantee the outcome, and you are also obliged to apply in the Bezirk where you are registered (you didn't say where you are living).

Unless Brexit is delayed again after October 31st, I'm afraid the situation is pretty much as they told you.

On 30/07/2019, 14:34:37, Bobo der Bär said:

I came out scratching me head thinking hang on the UK is still in the EU so why should I agree to this now I should still at least have some rights.

You do have rights, you can indeed keep your uk citizenship if you become german before 31 Oct (or whenever brexit actually happens).

The fact that it is unlikley you can achieve this isnt a rights thing.  Its a mix of bad luck, bad planning on your part (can hardly claim you didnt know this was coming up) and, in my humble opinion, poor service from the various german authorities. But the fact they could do better isnt something you or I are in a position to demand, especially as we have had at least 2 years advance notice that we needed to get moving if we wanted to do so and are indeed already significantly past the final final, I swear this time it will happen deadline May gave us to leave way back in spring.

In other news, germany has made it clear that they plan to allow us all to stay with or without nationality, so the fact you dropped the ball on this is most unlikely to actually come back and bite you too hard.

I know I left it late but I had an appointment at the ABH for the residence permit which I couldnt make as they only give you one fixed appointment.

I thought Id then try me luck at the Einburgerung but after further reading Spandau bezirksamt takes about 8 months.

I shall raise the question at the  embassy q&a facebook site next Tuesday but I'm going to register again at the ABH. 

It looks like the Germans are also ignoring any transition period and assuming leave will happen on 31 Oct with a no deal.