Tips for getting an einbürgerung appointment in Berlin?

30 posts in this topic

Hi. So I have been looking into getting a German passport, and have hit a wall with arranging an appointmente for the einbürgerung. The authorities refuse to engage with you unless you have an appointment, which you are supposed to arrange on the website. Except that all the slots are constantly marked as filled, I have been trying for weeks. Some people said I need to try at 7 ot 7:30 in the morning and be quick, but it doesn't make any difference. This is the page I am using

Has anyone been successful in arranging an appointment, and do you have any tips? Thanks in advance

Hi Alan, a comment on a friend's Facebook post about applying in Pankow mentioned that they release appointments at 8am on Mondays and at 5pm on Tuesdays, so maybe try refreshing the page then? I had it a little easier here in Charlottenburg - emailed in Februaryasking for an appt, got one for August (!!!) and they emailed me a few days after that offering me a cancellation for April.

Good luck! 

On 3.6.2018, 13:41:52, Alan Moore said:

Has anyone been successful in arranging an appointment, and do you have any tips? Thanks in advance

The process varies by Bezirk.

In Pankow they only offer appointments 6 weeks in advance and the new appointments are released twice a week. Normally you have to go twice there twice. The first time for a Beratungsgespräch where they give you the application as well as mark off the specific documents they want from you and then you need a second appointment to hand in the application and the let them see the originals of the documents you have to submit.

Theoretically you could try to save yourself a trip (and speed up the process) by bringing all the documents (originals and copies) to your first appointment and trying to submit the application right away. If you have a copy of your CV as well as a list of all the addresses where you have lived since you were 18, you should be able to fill out the application while they are looking over your documents.

Yes, definitely submit it all upfront.   You can get the forms off the internet.   I enclosed copies of things like my language certificate and then just took the original to the first appointment (as obviously they do need to verifiy it's real).   So that list of things they gave me was practically only "photograph".  (Hint - take some of those).

I've not used this online service in Berlin but, for others, that advice about figuring exactly when the new set of appointments becomes available, is what works.  

On 6/5/2018, 7:09:06, swimmer said:

Yes, definitely submit it all upfront.   You can get the forms off the internet. 

Are the forms the same for every office? I'm pretty sure I've seen different versions of the application forms.

On the front of my application form it states that it is for the Charlottenburg-Wilmersdorf Bezirk only. Maybe that means the forms vary from Bezirk to Bezirk. I have read of people needing to submit a CV which I did not have to do. 

I have attached a photo of the list of requirements that I was given - the items marked were what I handed in, nothing more. Obviously this will vary from person to person. 

IMG_20180429_223210660 (1).jpg

Thanks for the replies and advice, I am not too bothered about saving an appointment, although it's worth trying, as I am not elegible until the autumn anyway. I was pulling my hair about getting an appointment in the first place!

Thanks for the picture of the form @kayw. Yes, it seems like most versions of it that I've seen have roughly same info, but totally different layouts. Wonder why they don't just post them online... seems like it would save them a lot of time too if people came in to first appointment with form mostly filled out and any questions about what was needed up front.

I'd be curious to see the Berlin Mitte form if anyone has a copy.

15 hours ago, Alan Moore said:

I am not too bothered about saving an appointment, although it's worth trying, as I am not elegible until the autumn anyway. I was pulling my hair about getting an appointment in the first place!

Since it is so difficult to obtain an appointment, I would recommend taking everything to your first appointment.

OK for the record - I have just got an appointment for mid July. The trick was, as suggested by @kayw, to try at 08:00 AM on Monday morning and refresh the page like crazy until one of the days in the calendar shows the fateful blue "verfügbar" square.

That's great Alan! What I would recommend is, between now and the appt, gather as many of the documents as possible, get a sworn translation of your birth certificate, prepare a list of all places you have ever lived (with dates) and book the Einbürgerungstest and language test (if needed). Make copies of everything and take the originals and copies to that first appointment!

They must have changed the days/times when they put new free slots online. I've been checking at the days and hours mentioned here and nothing. Then later, bam, another day fully gone.

Last info from Pankow:

new slots are made available on Mondays 8h and Tuesdays 15h. Each one for the Wed/Thu 5 weeks ahead.

Still they disappear faster than U2 tickets.

I posted this on the other topic, but let me share it here as well:

So the freakiest thing happened to me.

The woman was polite, but a little bit robotic stating all cases of naturalization possible, even though I walked in with my partner and we introduced ourselves as such and I stated all necessary dates right at the beginning. zzzzz... until she got to the 3-year case for married/partners of German citizens. Thank you, I already knew that.

I had a lot of docs with me which I knew I she wouldn't take them right away, but just to show her I tick almost all the boxes. I'm missing just few docs that I'm working on.

She asks for B1 certificate and I promptly pull my one from Goethe from 2014. Alles gut!

Then she asks about integration course and I go "er... I don't need that, I'm quite integrated, I'm not from China or Iran, or Uzbequistan". (no offense, but I was just trying to prove I'm from a friendly very christian western nation that shares pretty much all the german values).

"Oh but you will need a test..."

"I already showed you my masters. It's from a german school. My masters is in public policies"

"But it must be a study in political science, or law..."

"It IS Political science, check the back of my certificate"

...(she reads)...

"Ah ok, then you don't need the test, but now I will need a certificate of B2 German"

Like WTF??? She changed the rules because I proved her wrong?

Don't worry, I am a lawyer myself back home. I have lawyer friends here in Germany as well who work with Ausländerrecht.

She will take my B1 certificate whether she likes it or not.

Like everything in Germany, they like to invent different interpretations of the laws depending on the Beamter’s mood. They really have ZERO training based on the laws, but rather on a handbook. But just put a lawyer in the middle and they sh*t their pants. Specially because when the Lawyer steps in, the boss of the beamter becomes aware of the situation. If they want to fight a lost battle… be my guest.

BTW, I also took a C1 course Teilnahmebestätigung, but she said that was no good because it was not a certificate. It was given without an exam.

When she got to the rent contract part, we also had to repeat THREE times we don’t pay rent because we own our apartment. Seriously. THREE. TIMES. IN. A. ROW.

I think being a malfunctioning bot must be a job requirement for Beamter/In.

BTW2: she is the sole person in charge of this in Pankow as of now.

8 minutes ago, CaptainKurt said:

I posted this on the other topic, but let me share it here as well:

So the freakiest thing happened to me.

The woman was polite, but a little bit robotic stating all cases of naturalization possible, even though I walked in with my partner and we introduced ourselves as such and I stated all necessary dates right at the beginning. zzzzz... until she got to the 3-year case for married/partners of German citizens. Thank you, I already knew that.

I had a lot of docs with me which I knew I she wouldn't take them right away, but just to show her I tick almost all the boxes. I'm missing just few docs that I'm working on.

She asks for B1 certificate and I promptly pull my one from Goethe from 2014. Alles gut!

Then she asks about integration course and I go "er... I don't need that, I'm quite integrated, I'm not from China or Iran, or Uzbequistan". (no offense, but I was just trying to prove I'm from a friendly very christian western nation that shares pretty much all the german values).

"Oh but you will need a test..."

"I already showed you my masters. It's from a german school. My masters is in public policies"

"But it must be a study in political science, or law..."

"It IS Political science, check the back of my certificate"

...(she reads)...

"Ah ok, then you don't need the test, but now I will need a certificate of B2 German"

Like WTF??? She changed the rules because I proved her wrong?

Don't worry, I am a lawyer myself back home. I have lawyer friends here in Germany as well who work with Ausländerrecht.

She will take my B1 certificate whether she likes it or not.

Like everything in Germany, they like to invent different interpretations of the laws depending on the Beamter’s mood. They really have ZERO training based on the laws, but rather on a handbook. But just put a lawyer in the middle and they sh*t their pants. Specially because when the Lawyer steps in, the boss of the beamter becomes aware of the situation. If they want to fight a lost battle… be my guest.

BTW, I also took a C1 course Teilnahmebestätigung, but she said that was no good because it was not a certificate. It was given without an exam.

When she got to the rent contract part, we also had to repeat THREE times we don’t pay rent because we own our apartment. Seriously. THREE. TIMES. IN. A. ROW.

I think being a malfunctioning bot must be a job requirement for Beamter/In.

BTW2: she is the sole person in charge of this in Pankow as of now.

Please don't cross post!!