Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Good amount of time to visit a country by your experience

12 posts in this topic

Hello.

I was originally going to take an extended stay In Germany, you might have seen my other thread on that topic.

However, I have slowly been thinking f*** that, I might as well go travelling around a few different countries over a few months while I still have the opportunity (UK-EU citizen).

I've been thinking of visiting countries which are regarded as being relatively cheaper (compared to other countries at the very least.) Places such as Hungary, Poland, Romania and Czechia. More specifically Budapest, Krakow, Bucharest and Prague. Although I'm still in the beginning stages of researching at the moment.

I felt like one week in Berlin was enough for me to experience what it had to offer with an additional day trip to potsdam. I still plan on going to Germany for an extended period 100% though.

Other countries/cities may be different, 7 days might feel too long for Kiev for example (I wouldn't know I've never been).

Obviously this answer will vary for each person because naturally if you're enjoying yourself you stay longer and the opposite if not. 

If someone was visiting a city in a country that you have been to before and asked for a general idea of a Good amount of time that can be spent there for a tourist to experience all the traditional touristy destinations and get a feeling of what it is like there without overstretching the stay. How would you respond?

Maybe we can create some sort of list. 

two months

it puts you beyond the honeymoon stage, so everything you see isn't automatically amazing any more, and you can start to evaluate it realistically.  You are there long enough that you can experience a lot of the depth of the culture and the place.  It also puts you long enough out of your comfort zone so you can start evaluating your home country in the same way.  Longer could be better, but then you start gradually pulling away from your home country and start becoming part of the new one, making the transition back harder.

It depends on the size of the country. If you are talking about Vatican, 3 hours is enough unless you're invited personally by the Pope and will be able to see parts of the country closed to general public.

If you are talking about really big countries like Canada or China, you will need several years.

If you ask me what is better when you only have two weeks: spend them in one country or multiple countries, there is also no definite answer.

If you have never been to Eastern Europe, then do this. The list of cities is good, except maybe Bucharest (unless you love depressive totalitarian architecture).

However, you can also spend the whole two weeks in Bavaria: you will not be bored. And then you have Hamburg, Bremen, Cologne, Frankfurt, the Alps etc...

P.S. I have visited Liechtenstein several times but still didn't have time to visit its capital, Vaduz :lol:

I think you'd do better asking a question like this on a travel forum, especially on threads that cover the specific places you want to visit.

there is simply no "rule" that covers this question.  It always depends on the individual, their interests, and the target location.  

20 hours ago, Xiomn said:

Maybe we can create some sort of list. 

Ohhh great, I love lists, especially when it comes to travel:

1. Shirts

2. Socks

3. Underwear

4. Shoes

5. Soap

6. Toothbrush / toothpaste

7. Towels

8. Camera

Good so far, did we forget anything?

On Samstag, 2. Juni 2018, Xiomn said:

If someone was visiting a city in a country that you have been to before and asked for a general idea of a Good amount of time that can be spent there for a tourist to experience all the traditional touristy destinations and get a feeling of what it is like there without overstretching the stay. How would you respond?

I'd ask them, "Have you never heard of 'Trip Adviser'?" :unsure:

2B

On 3. Juni 2018 um 12:46:27, Malt-Teaser said:

1. Shirts

2. Socks

3. Underwear

4. Shoes

5. Soap

6. Toothbrush / toothpaste

7. Towels

8. Camera

If he comes to Crete between now and end of October- cross socks off the list?

Yep?

.. And I believe underwear is optional in places like Malia where the youngsters hang out for their riotous holidays?

On 03/06/2018, 11:46:27, Malt-Teaser said:

Bikinis. Also swimwear for the wife.