Landlord Reduced Rent

5 posts in this topic

Hello,

I got a message from my landlord which basically says the rent is reduced by a certain amount starting from June. I was surprised but hey, I'm not objecting. :lol:

Anyway, this is the first time this has happened to me so I'm not quite sure what to do. Knowing the Germans' love for paperworks, should I sign a new contract to reflect the new amount? Or amendments to the old one would suffice?

OR am I overthinking and should do nothing?

Any advice is much appreciated. :)

First of all, congratulations.

It is possible that your landlord was charging you too much all along and has just found this out. I would check on that if I were you. She/he may own you back money.

And yes, you need it in writing. The message you got may suffice if it is specific enough.

Thank you. :) 

May I please know where I could check whether or not I was charged too much?

She did refund me some amount earlier this month (which I assumed to be the unused Nebenkosten), and just last week she said this via Whatsapp:

Hello hope you are fine. From june on the rent is a bit less . XXX,XX €

Is that already enough, or do my landlord and I need to sign anything? :) 

It is possible that she just reduced your Nebenkosten so that she won't have to refund any next year. You can ask her that.

We are about to do the same with our renter because we have owed him money back the last 2 years.

If not, there are many threads here on the Mietspiegel issue if you just use the search function.