What is Baukindergeld and how does it work?

76 posts in this topic

Hello All nice people,

I am new in Toytown, it seems quite a good source on information on different topics. I have following questions related to baukindergeld.

1: Is there any deadline to apply for this benefit? For example if the apartment was bought in Feb 2018, was the deadline to apply for baukindergeld 31st dec 2018? 

2: In case apartment was bought in 2018 then which 2 years income should be presented as a proof? 2017 and 2016?

3: What if in one of the year the income crosses 90k due to special onetime benefit though other years are below or equal 90k?

Thank a lot in advance for any response on above querues.

8 hours ago, Ashfra said:

1: Is there any deadline to apply for this benefit? For example if the apartment was bought in Feb 2018, was the deadline to apply for baukindergeld 31st dec 2018? 

No, no. However, you must already have moved into the property and present the registration confirmation. 

2: In case apartment was bought in 2018 then which 2 years income should be presented as a proof? 2017 and 2016?

Yes.

3: What if in one of the year the income crosses 90k due to special onetime benefit though other years are below or equal 90k?

This is irrelevant, the income at the time of the application is decisive.  

Thanks a lotfor reply. I have additional question to following statement of yours.

"This is irrelevant, the income at the time of the application is decisive. "

So does this mean if the income in 2016 was 93k, 2017 90k and in 2018 if it would be 90k as well then one should apply in 2019 because then the income of 2017 and 2018 are still below 90k?

here is a link with the info translated - be aware google is not perfect: https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.kfw.de%2Finlandsfoerderung%2FPrivatpersonen%2FNeubau%2FF%25C3%25B6rderprodukte%2FBaukindergeld-%28424%29%2F

Below I found some sections regarding your questions

FAQ:

How is the household income defined?

Taxable household income includes the income of the applicant and, in addition, the spouse or life partner or the partner from a marriage-like community. The level of income is the average of the penultimate year and the year before last - for an application in 2019 , 2017 and 2016.

So for 2019 you need the tax returns from 2017 and 2016. (Einkommen­steuer­bescheide)

Apply for a grant
You register in the KfW grant portal and submit your application online. It is essential that you comply with the application deadline:

Date of collection --> Submit application
01.01.2018 until 17.09.2018     --> The application deadline was 31.12.2018.
from 18.09.2018 --> within 3 months after moving in 
(Date of your municipality's registration confirmation)

No, someone's daughter is incorrect - for 2018 you'd need 2016 and 2015.

I'm sorry to tell you, but if you moved in officially in April 2018 (meaning you registered your location with the city - e.g. Meldezettel) then looks like the application date is already past for you. But call them or have someone call them for you and confirm this. Get it from the horse's mouth, so to speak, not just from us internet people.

Thanks wien4ever and someonesdaughter for answers.

Yes I think it will make sense to call them and ask about the missed deadline. I will do the same and keep you guys updated.

Thanks

1 hour ago, wien4ever said:

No, someone's daughter is incorrect - for 2018 you'd need 2016 and 2015.

It appears that you've either mistyped those dates or misunderstood what you read. The final legislation introducing Baukindergeld only passed through the Bundestag in June 2018 so it was never anticipated by the KfW that applicants would need to submit any Einkommensteuerbescheide from 2015.

If you look again at all the dropdown infos you will see that for applications made during 2018 and provisionally approved applicants are required to upload their tax certification after March 2019 by which time both their 2016 and 2017 certificates will be available.

@Ashfra

It's unclear to me how many children you have or whether you know this but, if you have more than one child then the income limit is raised by 15K €s per additional child up to (IIRC) the first 4 children. More details about those stages were posted in the first two pages of this thread during the pre-introduction discussions.

2B

@2B  you're right - I have mixed up the date of application with the date of document submission (March 2019):

"Als Haushaltseinkommen  gilt das Durchschnitts­einkommen des vorletzten und vorvor­letzten Jahres vor Antrag­stellung. Beispiel: Für Anträge im Jahr 2019 gilt Ihr Einkommen von 2017 und 2016. Schauen Sie einfach in Ihre Einkommen­steuer­bescheide."

What I missed in the terminology was that there was such as thing as "provisionally approved applicants" from 2018... ok thanks for that clarification. 

So in the case of Ashfra then, he/she would have needed to have been "provisionally approved" before Dec 2018? Is getting provisionally approved just a matter of making an account with the KfW? 

On Sonntag, 13. Januar 2019, Ashfra said:

Hi 2b_ornot2b,

I ve one 12 year old kid and i understand that limit in this case is 90k.

In that case your understanding of the limit is correct.

4 hours ago, wien4ever said:

So in the case of Ashfra then, he/she would have needed to have been "provisionally approved" before Dec 2018?

I believe that's right, but it certainly couldn't hurt to try their luck anyway.

This whole Baukindergeld idea is brand new in the German legal procedural context so those charged with its administration may well be more flexible with their interpretation of the spirit v. the letter of the law, given the political legislators well publicized intent.

4 hours ago, wien4ever said:

Is getting provisionally approved just a matter of making an account with the KfW? 

Not according to my understanding of the info on the KfW FAQs page. It appears to say they will send an e-mail acknowledging receipt of application then review the application details before sending another e-mail informing applicants of their decision pending the availabilty and receipt of confirmation documentation (i.e. tax certificate and/or any other related docs).

I would imagine it may take some weeks albeit that would depend on the (unknown but presumed by politicians to be in the lower ten thousands per annum) number of applications and the number of staff/hours the KfW have budgetted for.

The BKG situ is not typical by German standards and it would be premature to predict whether it has a long-term future at all.

It began with a bunch of competetive manifesto promises made by all German parties during the last Bundestag election campaign which ended in Sept 2017 with no party gaining a simple majority, the SPD deciding to go into opposition and change their leadership, several days of pre-bargaining to sort out potential (CDU-CSU, Green, FDP) coalition partners then, after nearly 3 months of horse-trading, a last-minute surprise withdrawal of the FDP and collapse of that round, the need of a subsequent party internal vote by the SPD til they could join a second round of coalition bargaining before a working grand coalition goverernment were finally sworn in around March 2018.

During all that horse-trading the FDP, Greens, CDU, SDP and CSU in particular had commited themselves to a number of tax-spending measures they could hardly justify on any (economic, social or ethical) grounds.

They'd suddenly discovered a crisis which looked solvable (after 30 years of jointly creating the very conditions which caused the crisis) and at its core was the shortage of affordable housing in the major metropolitan areas.

However, rather than investing serious money in building socially priced housing or moves to encourage industry to provide employment outside those expensive areas, their big idea was to offer relatively small bribes to those who could already afford a little more than basic housing.

There are a large number of disgruntled tax-payers who will not be able to benefit from BKG so it's quite likely that its popularity may fade faster than was anticipated by its progenitors.

AFAIK there is no guarantee or plan to continue BKG beyond the life of the current administration and I'd not be surprised if it even ended before that in 2021 or 2022.

Grab it if, and while, you can folks!

2B

All, checked with officials and they confirm in my case unfortunately deadline is missed.

So does this mean that the application window after you move to new house or apartment is 3 months even if one move in 2019? 

Thanks

Hello Everyone,

I have a question regarding Baukindergeld, especially to people who may have already applied for it. I think we are eligible for it (family of 4 with 2 kids), since the criteria for date of signing, income and moving in (future) are met. However, I have a question regarding the application and related Identity verification. If it is a jointly owned property (by spouses), does the Baukindergeld application application also need to be a joint one? Also, in case of a join application, does the Postident/Videoident need to be done for both applicants?

I ask, because we are not EU citizens, I am on NE and my wife has a regular RP. Until recently, our Indian passports were not accepted by Deutsche Post for Postident. I heard recently that they are accepted now, but reading between the lines it looks like they are accepted only with an eAT card, and my wife has a sticker RP.

Also, does anyone know if any other identity verification method is possible?

I would really appreciate some guidance on this, I think this is a slightly unusual situation to be in, and it would be quite a shame to lose out on this despite being eligible, due to German Bureaucracy.

Thanks in advance for your response.

Bests!

What happens if, in the next years, you are not eligible anymore ?

Like, your income went above the threshold?