Rental Scam - What should I do?

6 posts in this topic

I am posting my problem here because I was looking for an apartment in Darmstadt:

i believe i have been a recent victim of this rental scam, young 21 year old lady claimed that her late father owns an apartment and she has 2 rooms to rent out.. she introduced herself as a student and that her mother is working overseas. she then asked me to provide her with details of when i was going to move in and out and a page of my passport. i really thought this was a genuine offer as she also included pictures of the apartment and a long email about herself to convince me that she is a good person. so i sent these details to her (at first without my passport page and then she went silent so i sent another email this time with a page from my passport) she replied with another email in all caps and now it became weird as she asked me to bank in 950 euros into a foreign bank account belonging to her mother within 24 hours to secure the place apparently due to high demand. She also sent a page from her passport to assure me that I am dealing with the correct person but I grew very suspicious about this foreign account details and I couldn't find much about her online. Now I am very worried as I sent her a page of my passport and also my current address here in Germany. What will be the implications of the information 'she' has about me now and what should I do? Has anyone else received such emails when looking for a place to rent?

Yes this sounds like very typical scam which is very frequent!  There are several similar reports on this forum.  The good news is that your didn't transfer any money. 

You must always be weary of such scams online and you must ALWAYS view the property in person and anybody can find and download picture of an apartment online.

As you didn't transfer any money then the implications are not too bad.  In theory, your details could be used for identity fraud and this could cause problems for you in the future.

I suggest that you;

1)   Report the advert and the user to the website where you found it and highlight that it is fraudulent account

2)   Go to the Police and tell them what happened.  If you do have any issues with identity fraud in the future then you at least have a police report which will help.  Although to be honest, as nothing much has happened here then I don't know if they can do anything.  But ask them for a police report for this reason.

3)   Ask your embassy what you should do about your passport.  It might be worthwhile to consider the details to be "stolen" and get a new one issued, but they can better advise on this situation.

thanks for the advice.. yes i just did not expect something like this to happen here and once I started looking for rental scam in germany it dawned on me how rampant this problem is. I was never comfortable with the idea of sending my passport page and only grew very suspicious when she sent foreign account details and a separate email in all caps...i am knocking myself on my head now for falling for such a thing as I am very careful about sharing my personal information. i wonder if i can approach the local police station now and explain to them in the broken German that I can speak :(

Hello msnys, I am in the same situation as you now. What did you do to solve this problem? I can not change my passport as I am in the permanent permit process. What happened to you after sending your information to that scammers? Do you have any recommendations? 

On 28/05/2018, 09:44:19, dj_jay_smith said:

I suggest that you;

1)   Report the advert and the user to the website where you found it and highlight that it is fraudulent account

2)   Go to the Police and tell them what happened.  If you do have any issues with identity fraud in the future then you at least have a police report which will help.  Although to be honest, as nothing much has happened here then I don't know if they can do anything.  But ask them for a police report for this reason.

3)   Ask your embassy what you should do about your passport.  It might be worthwhile to consider the details to be "stolen" and get a new one issued, but they can better advise on this situation.

The advice from DJ Smith is just as valid to your situation, elfmun!

As for your permit process, contact them as well!

Yes, as mentioned above. I did number 1 and 2. I didn't face any issues after this incident but just kept the police report as proof. Just be sure to bring your own report to the police station preferably in German and attach either the advertisement or the email communication between you and this scammer or both if you can still find the ad. 

Best of luck and don't worry too much. Just get the report in hand.